VIN tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think even if it were possible those 4's were 1's they appear to have them spaced for the width of a 4.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Even if it's fake it's a beautiful car my brother has 2 69 W-30 cars and he's all about the documents and numbers it seems to me when there real there coveted my brother won't even drive his 69 W-30 4speed convertible but the hard top was all ways a family owned thrasher so it will see the road even before it's painted. If I was in the market for something like that I would be very careful and contact all the right people before I pulled the trigger

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
144.jpeg
the real deal is hard to come by and I'm suspecting of any that have been restored but finding an original these days is near impossible
4654.jpeg

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks for all the great info/suggestions guys. I still had plenty of dick tracy work to do yet myself but got to wondering about the VIN tag itself.

I was thinking, if modified, perhaps it was originally a 36 or 38 or perhaps a 42, all just regular Cutlass models, where they made the 3rd digit a 4 and boogered up the 2nd digit to match it.

Just glad to know their is enough suspicion here to support mine. I can buy this in the 40s which is right on the edge (in right now’s market) to be a high end clone or a real deal 442 that is not completely numbers matching, missing correct heads, factory paint, wheels, and a couple other details.

Though I have always wanted a vintage 442, since I have a damn nice ‘87 scattered in my garage, believe it or not, I am also looking at a couple of 67 Impala SS cars like my first car (it was not a “real” SS though and I always kinda wanted a real one before death do me part).

Well my first first car was a 64 4 door Chevy hand me down I managed to get running that I drove for about a year prior to getting the 67. A real mosquito fogger. No incentive at all to have that one back.

There is a non-standard color blue with a non standard convertible top, true original 67 SS though, with 427 auto w/AC out west that is purdier but, despite the puke green, this one above is the exact color of the one I had minus the vinyl top. Restorations with vinyl always scare me though as I envision (since they didn’t have our Donovan) they had so much trouble refurbing the roof, they decided to just slap vinyl on it. But, looking how well the rest was done, that would be hard to believe on this car. A “real” sleeper. But they should (better) have documentation on the build to show the pre-vinyl top among a few other questions I have on it too. 427 SS 4speed w/AC ~ is VERY rare. Less desirable on the peeter meter though, it is about the same price as the more desirable (to most) 442. Might have to talk them down a bit on this one.

0024CA9C-F284-486B-9FAF-CA3BE59C1E0A.jpeg

E27B1BD5-0210-423C-A0F0-E9FF8F6CC2DF.jpeg

And the business end . . . with a few non standard add ons on top
992E2453-0733-4F9E-995D-BF9096AD09B7.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well my first first car was a 64 4 door Chevy hand me down I managed to get running that I drove for about a year prior to getting the 67. A real mosquito fogger. No incentive at all to have that one back.
Oh, come on, man! There's a sweet green and rust one about 10 miles from me.:)

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Thanks for all the great info/suggestions guys. I still had plenty of dick tracy work to do yet myself but got to wondering about the VIN tag itself.

I was thinking, if modified, perhaps it was originally a 36 or 38 or perhaps a 42, all just regular Cutlass models, where they made the 3rd digit a 4 and boogered up the 2nd digit to match it.

Just glad to know their is enough suspicion here to support mine. I can buy this in the 40s which is right on the edge (in right now’s market) to be a high end clone or a real deal 442 that is not completely numbers matching, missing correct heads, factory paint, wheels, and a couple other details.

Though I have always wanted a vintage 442, since I have a damn nice ‘87 scattered in my garage, believe it or not, I am also looking at a couple of 67 Impala SS cars like my first car (it was not a “real” SS though and I always kinda wanted a real one before death do me part).

There is a non-standard color blue with a non standard convertible top, true original 67 SS though, with 427 auto w/AC out west that is purdier but, despite the puke green, this one above is the exact color of the one I had minus the vinyl top. Restorations with vinyl always scare me though as I envision (since they didn’t have our Donovan) they had so much trouble refurbing the roof, they decided to just slap vinyl on it. But, looking how well the rest was done, that would be hard to believe on this car. A “real” sleeper. But they should (better) have documentation on the build to show the pre-vinyl top among a few other questions I have on it too. 427 SS 4speed w/AC ~ is VERY rare. Less desirable on the peeter meter though, it is about the same price as the more desirable (to most) 442. Might have to talk them down a bit on this one.

View attachment 79038

View attachment 79039

And the business end . . . with a few non standard add ons on top
View attachment 79040
That's beautiful! Love it, color and all. About 20 years ago I had the opportunity to buy a 67 SS427 out in Wray Colorado. Sitting at a gas station in Earl Scheib red with a small block under the hood. (Originally Marina Blue.) The owner had passed, but also owned a junkyard full of 50's and 60's iron and on the barn floor was the original 427. His sisters were selling off stuff. The car, a 67 parts car and engine could have been had for $2000. I had a 70 GS455 so I passed on it.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
My 67 Impala dream is getting crapped on . . . but I'm an Olds guy now anyway.

I thought my '67 was frost green too but they have this listed as "sierra fawn". Not sure which is right . . . ??

Here's the blue one. I like the color a little better [the wife does a LOT!] but I like the 4 speed, console, and interior in the green one better and, except for finding gas for it, the engine too.

Turns out, upon further inspection, that the green one has the L72 updated and better 427 from 68-69, NOT available in 67. The earlier 427 was a 2 bolt main 385HP which this blue one below has in it but the green one has the 425HP 4 bolt main L72 that came with solid lifters, 11:1, chrome covers, Holley DP, and chrome breather. Did not know GM even did that? All nice but hardly a cruiser as good luck finding gas for it on the road. So, the green car came numbers matched with the L36 which they probably blew up and "someone" put in the more desirable at the time L72 engine. Something that might make it more desirable to some but yet NOT a numbers match. Yet the green one is $12K more than this blue one.

9568074-1967-chevrolet-impala-ss-std-c.jpg

9568174-1967-chevrolet-impala-ss-std-c.jpg

9568161-1967-chevrolet-impala-ss-std.jpg
9568160-1967-chevrolet-impala-ss-std.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor