vinyl top removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TROUBLED215

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2009
I removed the vinyl top on my 83 cutlass and now i need to find the window trims for all three back windows. I'm not sure where to purchase these. I'm also wondering if any other gbody trims would work (i.e Monte ss)

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Vinyl top side windows are differant than non-vinyl top windows and will need to be changed. You will need to pull the interior side panels to access the windows.

Just look thru the "For Sale" section here. Non yinyl top windows and trim turn up every now and then. The side window are model specific, meaning they have to come from an 81-88 Cutlass. I think all rear window trim between models are the same.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
Vinyl top removal on any gm car is recommended because gms are rust buckets. I removed the one on my c/supreme and there were two holes above both of my windows (bondo anyone?) but I used the plastic and metal retainers for the vinyl on the rear windows and my side windows were chrome trimed already but that may be a 1986 thing...

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
pimplogic said:
... and my side windows were chrome trimed already but that may be a 1986 thing...

Side windows on both the vinyl and non-vinyl top cars are chrome. They both look very simular but because of the thickness of the vinyl top they are differant. A vinyl top side window will work but I think it will leave a gap when re-installed. Whether it will leak or not I don't know (haven't tried) but won't look quite right because of the gap no longer filled by the vinyl top.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Rear window trims are interchangeable however the Monte/GP/ Regals used different L and R rear window side trims and didn't use a lower trim thus the side trims are longer and need to be trimmed to fit a Cutlass.
You will also need non-vinyl top quarter windows and the specialized lower rear valance panel to mount the lower rear window trim along with all the correct clips.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
Removed the vinyl top on my 83 Cutlass too probably about 15 years ago.... My side windows are still in the car today and never leaked and never saw a gap. Also the chrome trim for the rear window was under there too. Just had to clean all the glue off. Which was really a pain.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Chris Van said:
Removed the vinyl top on my 83 Cutlass too probably about 15 years ago.... My side windows are still in the car today and never leaked and never saw a gap. Also the chrome trim for the rear window was under there too. Just had to clean all the glue off. Which was really a pain.

Your car was one of many that had the vinyl top added after the car left the factory.
The original owner picked out the car they liked on the lot, and it was either sent out to have the top put on, or it was done at the dealership before being delivered.

For everybody else, the 1/4 windows are the same between vinyl and non-vinyl cars.
The difference lies in the seals around them.
Non-vinyl cars have a special rubber seal, and vinyl cars use the excess vinyl padding that tucks under them as the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor