Vortec 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
pontiacgp said:
I don't know much about dragster engines so I took a look online ....here's an example of what I found and why is this engine that's rated at 1000 hp with 795 lbs of torque running 4 bolt mains?

http://www.shafiroff.com/pro/565_1000.asp
HUGE difference between a 4-bolt main block, and a splayed cap 4-bolt main. :rofl:
in that case yes, a splayed cap is far superior to a 2bolt main.

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
Lt1 Monte, How much thinner are you talking? I have several 350s of various years with both 2 and 4 bolt mains and would like to do some measuring in the area your talking about. Post those pics so I know exactly where your talking about to measure. Wouldnt that mean a crank for a 2 bolt and 4 bolt are different? The 2 bolt crank would have to be wider at the main journals to allow for the webbing. That would make the rod area smaller requiring thinner rods. I'm no machinist or pro builder but I have never heard of a machine shop measuring the webbing thickness. I have a 2 bolt vortec block so we can do some comparing with your 4 bolt vortec.

I believe 350 blocks were all cast the same or the casting number would have reflected it. I know gm wasnt exactly smart but I know they were cheap so extra casting to produce 4 bolt main makes no sense. And if they did they would have used a different casting number.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
turbo78 said:
pontiacgp said:
I don't know much about dragster engines so I took a look online ....here's an example of what I found and why is this engine that's rated at 1000 hp with 795 lbs of torque running 4 bolt mains?

http://www.shafiroff.com/pro/565_1000.asp
HUGE difference between a 4-bolt main block, and a splayed cap 4-bolt main. :rofl:
in that case yes, a splayed cap is far superior to a 2bolt main.

it seems you and a few others claim that the extra hole drilled in the web weakens the web making a 4 bolt weaker than a two bolt....a splayed 4 bolt is still a 4 bolt ...there was no discussion about caps...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I answered that question and for an example look at the 010 block....they came in 2 and 4 bolt mains. The only block that GM machined anything different for a 2 bolt and a 4 bolt was a 400 that for a year or two they trimmed off some metal to make the block for the 4 bolt mains lighter....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
well I have never seen an option for an 010 slim webbing or a 010 fat webbing block...have you?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
LT1 Monte said:
The difference is visible. Look at the webing I tried to load a picture but the site has reached its limit ("Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached") so it won't let me add a picture.

Fixed. At least until we hit it again :oops: Sorry about that, one of those settings I forgot to check when I upgraded the board....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor