Vortec 454 vs gen 1 454

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2018
I was wondering what the main difference is between the vortec 454 vs the gen 1 454 ik that the vortec has a hydraulic roller cam but are they different/harder to swap in a g body of stronger anything really but I'm asking cuz I want a 454

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If I understood the grouping of words and numbers you texted, the answer is most everything is different between the two.

Link

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2018
i was wondering if they use different belts or different mounting location ok thx

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm not trying to be a smart-*ss. Punctuation is helpful. If you put a little effort into making your post easier to read and understand you will have better luck with getting responses. From the following link....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_big-block_engine#Generation_V

Generation V[edit]

General Motors changed from using the "Mark" designation to the "Generation" designation because Ford Motor Company owns the "Mark" naming rights as it was used on some Lincoln automobile models.[citation needed]

For 1991 General Motors made significant changes to the Big-Block resulting in the Generation V. The block received a one-piece rear seal and all blocks received 4-bolt mains. Additionally the main oil galley was moved from near the oil pan to near the camshaft. Also the valvetrain became non-adjustable and the provisions for a mechanical fuel pump were eliminated. Cast aluminum rocker covers were fitted in place of stamped steel covers.[23]

L19[edit]

From 1991 the 454 was updated to the new Gen V block, crankshaft and heads. This engine was rated at 230 net hp, 380 ft lbs net torque, and was discontinued after 1995, GM coming out with the Vortec 7400 in 1996.

Generation VI[edit]
L29[edit]

The Vortec 7400 L29 7.4 L (454 cu in) V8 was a truck version of the Chevrolet Big-Block engine. Introduced in 1996, it was produced for five years, until replaced by the Vortec 8100. Although introduced as the Vortec 7400 in 1996, it was basically a 454 Big-Block with a hydraulic roller cam, parts more suitable for use in light duty trucks, and more advanced technology. The engine had MPFI (multi-port fuel injection), which gave slightly more power and better fuel economy, and 2 valves per cylinder. The engine had a bore and stroke of 4 1⁄4 in × 4 in (108.0 mm × 101.6 mm), producing 290 hp (216 kW) at 4000 rpm and 410 lb⋅ft (556 N⋅m) at 3200 rpm.

L29 Applications:

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor