vortec cylinder head question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi guys,
Just a quick question regarding Vortec heads. They are allegedly known to crack. I am contemplating getting a set for my engine. Where on the head(s) are they prone to cracking? I figured when I'm on the hunt for a set of heads, I'd like to know where to look and what to look for visually. I know the heads will more than likely need to be magnafluxed before putting any serious work into them. I'll probably go with the 062's...but probably will also consider 906's.

Reactions: 1 user

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Both set of heads will flow the same numbers so one or the other is a good choice. The 906 are a better casting because they were used on the more HD applications. If they are to crack it will be from the exhaust valve on the two center valves to the center bolt hole in the middle of the head. If they are cracked for a while it will be easy to see when you first get them off. I don't find them to crack any more than any other head. You run them HOT and for LONG enough any head will crack. If you can see a crack up the center between the two center chambers those will surly be cracked. Always best to have them magged.

• Informative

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Both set of heads will flow the same numbers so one or the other is a good choice. The 906 are a better casting because they were used on the more HD applications. If they are to crack it will be from the exhaust valve on the two center valves to the center bolt hole in the middle of the head. If they are cracked for a while it will be easy to see when you first get them off. I don't find them to crack any more than any other head. You run them HOT and for LONG enough any head will crack. If you can see a crack up the center between the two center chambers those will surly be cracked. Always best to have them magged.
Thanks man, I appreciate your input. When I first read about Vortec heads, the 062's were preferred over the 906 due to them having a valve shrouding issue compared to the 062.
I guess buying any used heads, you're taking a risk...besides, the heads will need to be gone over unless they've been done by the seller and he has documentation.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, for the price, it might make better sense to buy a new set of heads rather than buy a used set and have them machined. Just a thought.....
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12558060
Thanks Jared,
You're absolutely right, I'd be better off with new heads. You sometimes think you're saving money by buying old heads and having them rebuilt, etc...but in reality you're not saving anything. As they say, new is new....new castings, new valves, etc.
My cam's lift is under the high recommended lift, so that wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't have to have the heads machined for higher lift.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks Jared,
You're absolutely right, I'd be better off with new heads. You sometimes think you're saving money by buying old heads and having them rebuilt, etc...but in reality you're not saving anything. As they say, new is new....new castings, new valves, etc.
My cam's lift is under the high recommended lift, so that wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't have to have the heads machined for higher lift.
You can also swap to LS style beehive springs and the Comp Cams retainers for added clearence on the cheap. Also, if you shop around, folks like Pace sell heads that have already been machined for additional clearance. I did a quick search when I sent you that link. There might be a better deal out there. I just like genuine GM stuff.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You can also swap to LS style beehive springs and the Comp Cams retainers for added clearence on the cheap. Also, if you shop around, folks like Pace sell heads that have already been machined for additional clearance. I did a quick search when I sent you that link. There might be a better deal out there. I just like genuine GM stuff.
Thanks Jared,
That gives me options to consider. I would more than likely shop around. Like you mentioned, Pace, Scoggin-Dickey, etc.

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Jack,

Just some more info for you. Dirt Reynolds has pretty much written the "bible" on vortecs over at the nasty Z28 forum. Its worth a read and clears up a lot of misconceptions and BS about vortec heads. Seriously, its worth reading even just the first page (out of 100) the information on there is staggering.

http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/vortec-cylinder-heads-the-definitive-guide.56505/

I bought a set of gently used 062 heads and had them reconditioned to new. I am VERY happy with them so far.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Not hard to find a good set of vortec heads for under $200. Clean them up and have them magged and a LS blue springs and comp. retainers and your set for under $350. If you do the work yourself you can save a lot. Any kind of new heads are going to start round $600+. Most cheap heads will not come close to flowing as good as the GM vortecs.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack,

Just some more info for you. Dirt Reynolds has pretty much written the "bible" on vortecs over at the nasty Z28 forum. Its worth a read and clears up a lot of misconceptions and BS about vortec heads. Seriously, its worth reading even just the first page (out of 100) the information on there is staggering.

http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/vortec-cylinder-heads-the-definitive-guide.56505/

I bought a set of gently used 062 heads and had them reconditioned to new. I am VERY happy with them so far.
Hi Matt,
Thank you for your feedback, and the link to the Vortec head thread. I really appreciate it.
I have missed out on a few package deals including heads, aftermarket intake, valve train parts, etc. It always seems when these deals come up, I'm low on capital. Timing is everything sometimes.
Your Malibu is looking absolutely awesome. Probably one of the most tastefully done 'bu's that I've ever seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor