vortec cylinder head question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Not hard to find a good set of vortec heads for under $200. Clean them up and have them magged and a LS blue springs and comp. retainers and your set for under $350. If you do the work yourself you can save a lot. Any kind of new heads are going to start round $600+. Most cheap heads will not come close to flowing as good as the GM vortecs.
Thanks again for your suggestions and input....I appreciate it. If I can do a set of Vortecs in around that price range, that would be great. I still have to factor in a new manifold, center bolt valve covers, and a set of self aligning rocker arms....or go with screw-in studs and guide plates....and of course a premium gasket set.. and probably a new set of ARP head bolts..etc. etc.
So, things do add up in a hurry.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You don't need ARP head bolts for a stockish motor. You can grab a set of rockers at the local junkyard on the cheap, and perhaps even a set of stock valve covers that aren't too bad either, especially in Florida.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You don't need ARP head bolts for a stockish motor. You can grab a set of rockers at the local junkyard on the cheap, and perhaps even a set of stock valve covers that aren't too bad either, especially in Florida.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I have seen center bolt valve covers...they can be had cheaply.
Perhaps ARP head bolts may be a bit overkill, but I think I'd consider replacing them anyway. Being that my head bolts have been reused and stretched due to torquing and re-torquing.
Maybe when I do find a set of heads, they'll have some of the parts and hardware included.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I've had super good luck with my Vortec headed SBC build. I have #906 Casting heads off of a 2000 Astro van. They were pretty decent with no cracks, but I had a few things done at the machine shop. 3 angle valve job, they planed them just the slightest amount, had the valve guides machined down for a bigger cam, and also had screw in rocker studs put in. There are plenty of intake and center bolt valve cover choices out there to suit your needs. The Vortec heads are the best flowing factory GM iron heads. They flow well stock and really come alive with some port work. As others suggested there is plenty of reputable information about Vortec heads online. I can assure you, you won't be disappointed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
If you go to the yard and pull a set your self it the cheapest way to get all the things you need. Clean up and reuse the head bolts, clean and reuse the stock rockers and center bolt valve covers. All the parts are their just for the taking.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've had super good luck with my Vortec headed SBC build. I have #906 Casting heads off of a 2000 Astro van. They were pretty decent with no cracks, but I had a few things done at the machine shop. 3 angle valve job, they planed them just the slightest amount, had the valve guides machined down for a bigger cam, and also had screw in rocker studs put in. There are plenty of intake and center bolt valve cover choices out there to suit your needs. The Vortec heads are the best flowing factory GM iron heads. They flow well stock and really come alive with some port work. As others suggested there is plenty of reputable information about Vortec heads online. I can assure you, you won't be disappointed.
Do you happen to remember what you paid for the heads and what you spent at the machine shop? I'm curious how the cost compares to buying new heads from like Pace that have had the guides machined and have screw in studs installed.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I'm aware of how well these heads flow, even compared to the old double hump fuely heads. I'm sure they'll noticeably wake up my mild smallblock.

You mentioned getting your heads from an Astro van. Are you sure you don't mean an Express van, or something of that nature. Astro/ Safari vans came with a V-6.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you go to the yard and pull a set your self it the cheapest way to get all the things you need. Clean up and reuse the head bolts, clean and reuse the stock rockers and center bolt valve covers. All the parts are their just for the taking.
I agree with you there. Awhile back I missed out on a nice clean set of 062's from a Chevy SUV. The complete nose was off the vehicle, too. That would have made removing the heads a cake walk. You're right, all the parts would be there for the picking. Good suggestion.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Vortec heads put my MCSS into the mid-12s on 87 octane. It blew minds in the early-2000s.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, did you forget I have the set of self aligning rocker arms. I'll send them to you and just look at it as a gift from Ho Ho Ho

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor