Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Vote on which you prefer; 1 vote for the fan type, and 1 for the water pump type

The vehicle is a G-body with a Chevy 400 small block. Currently it has the stock 180 horse, but it is an ongoing project with no limit for the amount of horse it will eventually put out.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
I just installed a Mark VIII electric fan on my Olds 350 Diesel two weeks ago. It is awesome. I get on the highway going 80mph. The fan will cut on at 185F and is powerful enough to cool the water temp to 170F (thats when my fan switch cut off) and I never slow down. It looks clean and doesnt rob power.

I voted belt driven water pump. Unless its a pure drag car. I would just keep the water pump belt driven.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Oldstech said:
I just installed a Mark VIII electric fan on my Olds 350 Diesel two weeks ago. It is awesome. I get on the highway going 80mph. The fan will cut on at 185F and is powerful enough to cool the water temp to 170F (thats when my fan switch cut off) and I never slow down. It looks clean and doesnt rob power.

I voted belt driven water pump. Unless its a pure drag car. I would just keep the water pump belt driven.
x2
Had the Mark VIII fan on my 350 SBC Malibu for nearly 3 months now driving in weekly and it's great, absolutely love it. At idle in front of my house for like 30 minutes, stayed at 190°. Driving it will drop and rise according to how cold it is outside. All depends on what you use to control it. I also agree on the belt driven pump. I went with a GM serpentine setup and wouldn't go back if someone gave me a pump for free.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
x3 for electric fan and belt driven water pump

80_cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I realize its trendy to put an electric fan on everything, but the load required to produce the amps has to come from a belt driven accessory in any case. For best of both worlds (air movement/ease of turning) a THERMASTATICALLY controlled clutch fan is the way to go.
If you are going to drive it on the street at all, the electric water pump is a bad idea. The only reason I would want one, would be if I was hot-lapping @ the drag strip and I wanted the pump running with the engine off while I was waiting to stage.

sb

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
80_cutlass said:
I realize its trendy to put an electric fan on everything, but the load required to produce the amps has to come from a belt driven accessory in any case. For best of both worlds (air movement/ease of turning) a THERMASTATICALLY controlled clutch fan is the way to go.
If you are going to drive it on the street at all, the electric water pump is a bad idea. The only reason I would want one, would be if I was hot-lapping @ the drag strip and I wanted the pump running with the engine off while I was waiting to stage.

sb
I agree 100%. One of the magazines did a shoot-out a few years ago comparing different brands of flex fans, OE fan, OE clutch-fan, and electric fan. All were adequate for normal cooling but the clutch-fan cost the least amount of power to run.

Bow77Tie

n00b
Dec 7, 2009
I have an 81 Buick Regal with a 400 bhp Chevy 350ci I run this as a Drag car with no street use. I have the Proform electic waterpump and a Pro Comp 16 S blade fan on a 20 inch Griffin Aluminum radiator with a 160 Thermistat. With this combo I rarley get the temp over 190 I leave the fan off til it hits 180 then it drops to 160 almost instantly.

On a hot day sittinging in the staging area temp never gets over the 190 burn out box with fan on temp 170 after 1/4 mile run temp is about 180 (12.88 et)

I don't know how good the waterpump would work on a street car but I love it on my drag car. you look under the hood and see no belts no pulleies just the clean waterpump and the harmanic balancer.

have fun

80_cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Bow77Tie said:
I don't know how good the waterpump would work on a street car but I love it on my drag car. you look under the hood and see no belts no pulleies just the clean waterpump and the harmanic balancer.

No alternator? How do you keep the voltage up on long night of racing?

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor