Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I thought the Olds had the lightest big block, just 60 pounds heavier than a SBC? I also think MOST gear heads prefer to keep their cars with family power plants, a Cutlass with an olds, a malibu/monte with a chevy and so forth. Caddys on the other hand wont get much lip no matter what you put them in, although I have to admit I did see a huge *ss caddy on an older episodes of pinks that absolutely smoked! It was great to see an actual Caddy fly like that. The only thing I've been able to garner from all the websites is that people are loyal to whats in their ride right now, their combo. This one is no different.

Stock on stock theres not a huge difference in performance in these motors, and when you're talking stock, I'd say its more about torque. But if you're talking about modding a big block than going Chevy sure would make life easier. Horsepower is found at higher revs and you can build big chevys to spin like crazy......and live to tell about it. :wink:

Since I havent spent a nickle building any big block yet, when I do start, it'll be a small block 6.0 LS combo. I want 11 second quarters on pump gas, with good street manners and 20 mpg too. Technology is a beautiful thing. 8)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
That 4 door guy, I think you should quit while you are ahead.

To me it seems like your story gets adapted after you get some heat.

What makes a car "numbers matching" to most is the original block, they have partial vin on them.Frames and body tub do also but most except replacement parts here.

Most other parts have to have the correct codes like the trans and the rear.

So you did destroy a possibly restorable car.

What does this abomination run?

Jared Richey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2009
Belton, South Carolina
For the cost involved and the HP potential its got to be the 454! :wink:

I have one and making close to 600 estimated HP.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
And my smaller 440 Pontiac (destroked 455) makes 630 real horsepower (dyno not estimated).

I am sure there are plenty of BOP doing the same.

What's your point?

That 4 door guy

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2010
937 Dayton, Ohio
i still have the original engine and trans. and to be honest i already did what the member was asking about with the chevy or mopar build. i took the original power plant out to put a my specified race combo in. the car is built for the strip. but just in the power plant. the body is all original, and i have the original combo in another car that doesnt get driven much. so like i said before, it is my combo, my creation, my decision. and the fact that did SAVE the original heart of the goat, means that all the bitching going on about me keepin with the family, means i plan on putting it back in. but i refuse to abuse it or break it. and FYI my 80 olds came with a chevy small block. thanx

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That 4 door guy said:
i still have the original engine and trans. and to be honest i already did what the member was asking about with the chevy or mopar build. i took the original power plant out to put a my specified race combo in. the car is built for the strip. but just in the power plant. the body is all original, and i have the original combo in another car that doesnt get driven much. so like i said before, it is my combo, my creation, my decision. and the fact that did SAVE the original heart of the goat, means that all the bitching going on about me keepin with the family, means i plan on putting it back in. but i refuse to abuse it or break it. and FYI my 80 olds came with a chevy small block. thanx

I think you just confirmed shotgun's conclusions...and just out of curiosity what the engine block casting # of that 400?...oh you cannot compare an 80's car to a 60's car when Pontiac, Buick Oldsmobile and Chevy were building their own engines.......

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
'shotgun...what's the torque on that engine?pontiacgp

578 # @ 4900, was kinda bummed was hoping for 600# & 600HP. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor