Was rear ended today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only had it three weeks, they should pay you 100% plus tax. Don't let them put a big salvage value on it to cut down the pay out. Did you get an actual repair cost or did they just say it exceeded the value of the car?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you don't have to agree with what the insurance company says. Get your own estimates and demand for what you think is fair. If you don't sell your car to the insurance company they cannot rebrand it, they can only refuse to insure it. So in negotiating a settlement for money to pay for the damages part of the negotiation is you keep the car.

pontiacgp said:
you don't have to agree with what the insurance company says. Get your own estimates and demand for what you think is fair. If you don't sell your car to the insurance company they cannot rebrand it, they can only refuse to insure it. So in negotiating a settlement for money to pay for the damages part of the negotiation is you keep the car.
Actually, since he wasn't at fault, his insurance doesn't need to be involved unless there is not a fair settlement. Her insurance company is paying the bill.
Do you care to share what you paid? Did you put full price on the title? That's what they'll pay from. I sold a car years ago and the kid put $1000 less on the title, then totaled it a week later. He lost the 1000 minus the tax he saved.

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
Check into the salvage nonsense.i know the salvage laws recently changed here.now we have 6 months from the date of loss to repair the vehicle,have insurance agent right off that it was repaired,BAM no salvage title.if it goes past the 6 months you then get a salvage title after a salvage inspection.

I could be wrong on this but your dealing with the other insurance,i dont believe that will cause it to branded salvage.CHECK YOUR STATES SALVAGE LAWS!!

Go out and find/print ads for cars like yours for sale.use these to show what its gonna cost to replace your car when dealing with the adjuster.

If the body is in good shape have it straightened enough to swap frames and have the body work done later.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This thread points out why it is worthwhile to get your car appraised by a professional so the value of it is not in question. Insurance companies are not our friends. They will gladly take your money and then tell you the car is worth far less than what you thought it was worth if you are involved in an accident

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
pontiacgp said:
This thread points out why it is worthwhile to get your car appraised by a professional so the value of it is not in question. Insurance companies are not our friends. They will gladly take your money and then tell you the car is worth far less than what you thought it was worth if you are involved in an accident

Good point but at the same time haggarty insurance is very expensive

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Anubis said:
pontiacgp said:

Good point but at the same time haggarty insurance is very expensive

I was not thinking about haggarty insurance. If you have an professional appraiser done an insurance company can be forced to take that into consideration and if they don't want to do it willingly then a judge can force them. In 2002 I got $3,570 for the damage to a 85 GP and I kept the car on the road for a few years until I found my current ride. I was hit from behind, pushed into the car in front of me hard enough to push them into the car in front of them. My insurance company blinked when I mentioned court. They also paid $62,000 for my therapy.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
pontiacgp said:

I also had to do this when my van was hit by a driver running a red light. It's a negotiation tactic on the adjusters part. They start low and demand you take their offer. You counter with a higher amount with printed ads and written estimates as backup. In my case they offered $3500 for the van, I showed them the van would be $9k to replace plus taxes or $6k - $8k to fix it ( 3 different body shops looked at the van and gave me written estimates ).
In the end red light runners insurance company fixed it for just over $8k + another $1k+ cost of a rental car for the 6 weeks ( adjuster flat out told me I was being a PIA but it was cheaper to fix it than to buy it out ). I also chose the bodyshop which was close to work so I could go see the van every other day to get a progress report and take pictures. I even refused to take it back the first time because there was overspray in some spots and they didn't paint the doorjamb.
If you don't be a PIA then you will be shuffled along like all the other sheep. I always kept the attitude that I didn't smash the van and that I wanted it back as good or better than before the accident. The bodyshop was so sick of me coming by that they were glad to have the van done and gone.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
cutty402 said:
Im dealing w insurance right now myself. My 442 was stolennon saturday. I just hope they find it.

that sucks, if you have pictures start a thread and post them with some details where it was stolen from. Other unfortunate guys have done that and it lets us all look out for your car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor