Weird rattle sound like something stuck in the fan???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Bonegrater said:
Sorry it took a while to reply, the fan has no movement at all. None front to back and none side to side. I noticed it had stopped doing it for the last week or so. Then a friend from work rode with me to lunch, and he weighs around 290-300lbs. After he plopped in my seat I fired the car up and it started up again. After he got out it stopped, any ideas?

could very well be the body bushings compressing from him getting in the car then the fan hitting the shroud

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Take the bellhousing cover off and see if the noise goes away. I just remembered I had this happen in my Lemans. The cover would slightly contact either the converter or flexplate sometimes while it was running. The odd part is that it didn't do it until it got really cold outside. When the car warmed up it would quit. Worth a try.

It sounded like a card stuck in bike spokes, you'd give it gas and it got loud as hell. Like I said though, after the car got warm it didn't do it anymore. It almost sounded like something was hitting the water pump impeller because it had a metallic sound (metal dust cover).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Peter said:
Bonegrater said:
Sorry it took a while to reply, the fan has no movement at all. None front to back and none side to side. I noticed it had stopped doing it for the last week or so. Then a friend from work rode with me to lunch, and he weighs around 290-300lbs. After he plopped in my seat I fired the car up and it started up again. After he got out it stopped, any ideas?

could very well be the body bushings compressing from him getting in the car then the fan hitting the shroud

I was thinking along the same lines but I'd be checking to see how the frame is...it sounds like a body bushing may have eaten through the frame

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
84hurst said:
The fan shroud is as clean as can be.

This is why I don't think it's the fan contacting anything. The body bushings would have to be really, really bad for that much movement. The only time I had fan to shroud contact was with broken motor mounts on a 400 sbc.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G-body vet has a good point....84hurst...you need to feed your friend and get him to sit in the car so you can take a good look while the engine is running

Bonegrater

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2010
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the replies. I am gonna check the bellhousing cover, I looked the frame over and it is like new(southern car) and all of the bushings that I could see or get my hand into were in good shape.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Bonegrater said:
Thanks for the replies. I am gonna check the bellhousing cover, I looked the frame over and it is like new(southern car) and all of the bushings that I could see or get my hand into were in good shape.

Stamped sheet metal expands and contracts quite a bit in extreme temps. Maybe the torque converter cover has been dented and when its cold out, it bends enough to get hit by the converter. I would also suspect the motor mount(s), especially the drivers side. They may be broken or loose. If your car is a T-Top model, the body can flex much more than a non T-top body would. Just some things to consider :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor