Welding Tips and Tricks.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's a metal "finger" for holding stuff still while you weld.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For auto darkening helmets buy the best you can afford and 4 sensors are better than 2.
Make sure your outer lens is clean so you can see well and the sensors are not obstructed.
Also make sure your helmet is charged and test before use.

I use welding blankets and thin aluminum sheets or pieces to protect areas where I am welding.
I also use magnetic base lights with adjustable heads to get light as close as I can to the area I am working on and I also have a LED light that goes on my gun for tight areas.

As stated already keep your work area clean and don't leave towels etc. laying around than can catch on fire because sparks really do fly.

This is GREAT advice that my shoes, socks and shirts indicate that I rarely take. Kidding of course, mostly.

The aluminum sheets works better than OK. It's hard to find scrap sheets.pieces of aluminum, but if you do, then save them for this purpose alone.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you "find" a street or stop sign laying around, they make GREAT welding shields. I especially like sticking one between an exhaust pipe I'm welding and the floorboards.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Haha

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
For auto darkening helmets buy the best you can afford and 4 sensors are better than 2.
Make sure your outer lens is clean so you can see well and the sensors are not obstructed.
Also make sure your helmet is charged and test before use.

I use welding blankets and thin aluminum sheets or pieces to protect areas where I am welding.
I also use magnetic base lights with adjustable heads to get light as close as I can to the area I am working on and I also have a LED light that goes on my gun for tight areas.

As stated already keep your work area clean and don't leave towels etc. laying around than can catch on fire because sparks really do fly.

Its also better to get a helmet with adjustable shading. Blue eyed people like myself generally need darker shading than dark eyed people. Always test your helmet before welding.

When welding overhead wear ear plugs! Also with overhead MIG welding the contact tip should be flush or stick out a little past the nozzle.

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
All of the above, especially be ready for an unexpected fire. It WILL happen. I once set my buddy's VW on fire while welding the exhaust. I calmly reached over and grabbed a beer to douse the flames with. He still won't trust me anymore.

I believe that is considered alcohol abuse sir.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
PXL_20210422_210433516.jpg
PXL_20210422_210451153.jpg
PXL_20210422_210459674.jpg

Just a couple of test passes on some dirty random mismatched stainless I found in the bin. No filler.

Some use coupons, I use poopons.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm firm believer that welding for function takes a lot of practice, and welding for form requires some amount of concern for being artistic.
I'm a function over form guy - no doubt. I wanted to post my current welding excursion for those that feel they need big dollar equipment or have to hire their welding done. This is done with a $300 110v gas mig that is well used. I put this bung into a new downpipe I made a little bit ago. I did a bunch of things 'wrong' in terms of gas and type of wire.

This pipe is aluminized and the bung is stainless (China stainless). It has no leaks, no distortion and it's 100% functional. Form? The pipe s going to be wrapped in Titanium DEI stuff anyway - so there is no need for any amount of pretty.

My point to this post is every entry level person can be EXTREMELY functional on a budget and with a little practice.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3685.jpg
    IMG_3685.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3679.jpg
    IMG_3679.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3682.jpg
    IMG_3682.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm firm believer that welding for function takes a lot of practice, and welding for form requires some amount of concern for being artistic.
I'm a function over form guy - no doubt. I wanted to post my current welding excursion for those that feel they need big dollar equipment or have to hire their welding done. This is done with a $300 110v gas mig that is well used. I put this bung into a new downpipe I made a little bit ago. I did a bunch of things 'wrong' in terms of gas and type of wire.

This pipe is aluminized and the bung is stainless (China stainless). It has no leaks, no distortion and it's 100% functional. Form? The pipe s going to be wrapped in Titanium DEI stuff anyway - so there is no need for any amount of pretty.

My point to this post is every entry level person can be EXTREMELY functional on a budget and with a little practice.

The exhaust on my TBSS is stainless MIG'd together with mild steel wire. Still holding strong after 8 years? Totally fine.

attack of the clones GIF by Star Wars

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor