Well look what followed me home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Thanks to CarnutJW for looking out for a fella happened to notice that I was missing center caps for these wheels and hooked me up with a full set. View attachment 171575 View attachment 171576 got the governor gear changed out and managed to hold myself back from making any mods to the gov assy . replaced the pan and filled it back up and pressures where better than the ones listed in the ATSG handbook got the TV cable where It needs to be and now i just gotta change the oil and the rear shocks, mount the rear swaybar and take it for a drive.
Just trying to make the world a little bit better every day of my life- well, a couple of days a year.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
FB_IMG_1539966497671.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Little longer test drive yesterday.

Reactions: 3 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Its alive.. Like to have Never found the damn Tach Pigtail under the dash, It was clear on top of the steering column, the wire pic is a factory tach wire from a 84 cutlass. Still trying to decide whether i'm gong to T off the oil port on the back of the engine and use a old original style oil pressure switch, or if Im gonna run a new style 3 wire sensor and rewire the coke heater relay wiring.

Attachments

• 20210407_210740.jpg
    20210407_210740.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210407_210746.jpg
    20210407_210746.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210408_160405.jpg
    20210408_160405.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210407_160124.jpg
    20210407_160124.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 4 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Its alive.. Like to have Never found the damn Tach Pigtail under the dash, It was clear on top of the steering column, the wire pic is a factory tach wire from a 84 cutlass. Still trying to decide whether i'm gong to T off the oil port on the back of the engine and use a old original style oil pressure switch, or if Im gonna run a new style 3 wire sensor and rewire the coke heater relay wiring.
Cool- so they all worked with the the exception of the oil pressure gauge?

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Cool- so they all worked with the the exception of the oil pressure gauge?
Well I just got the tach wired in today using the factory wiring , The cutlass I got my sway bar off of had the interior almost stripped completely , but the dash shell was still in the car and as I looked in the engine bay I seen a white wire coming through the firewall, so I started investigating and it had the plug style for the HEI on the engine bay side and then it had its own grommet so i found it under the dash looking for the plug and I got my hand on it and got it loose. but my luck was the cutlass had a Pac con style plug where I needed the typical gm single female spade so I had a wire already made up with a female spade so I crimped it together and the first little bit of driving the Tach was a little flaky above 3500 area, but it seemed the settle down , I might need to do the solder mod to my jumper. I haven't tested the oil pressure yet. I have a factory style single plug for the oil pressure sender, but no single wire sender unless I go to the yard and rob one off the cutlass 307 , it's still on the engine, I have thought of using a newer style Sender because I have a few that is a sender and a switch , my current 2 prong switch has like 5 figging wires lol so I suspect the power for the choke heater circuit in running though there, I seen a couple of older diagrams or just extend the wire and run the newer switch down by the oil filter and leave the other wires on the existing switch.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
LOL but to answer the original question..lol Yeah, they all function, the oil pressure resets to Zero if you just turn power on for a sec after the engine is off. So I suspect it will work correctly. Ill pull the trigger on a decision tomorrow Im more that likely going with Plan D and just run the vortec sender as simply a sender. and leave the OG switch, just trim the 1 tan wire I need to lengthen. Whats funny is I bought a little Mitsubishi tractor, and after I bought it, It was used of course, I would notice the temp light would start out dim and just get brighter, found first off there was no T stat so i rigged one up from a gm 3800 , but i suspected someone replaced the switch with a sender , so I just swapped my switch in place of its sender and used the tractor sensor in the pontiac..lol works perfect.

Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
When I sold you the gauges they did not have a column shift indicator, due to them coming out of a console car. I see you have one in there now. How did that swap go? Just move parts from your old gauges? I'm so glad they worked out.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
well the vortec oil pressure sensor didnt play well with the gauge didnt move the needle at all. so I gotta go rob one from the just yard cause Im a cheap b*st*rd, think the tach is reading about a grand too high, and the unit I got from you has the exact same part for the shift indicator, it just didnt have the needle and face silkscreened face with the numbers but you can just remove the one screw and pull it out from the back and put the one you have in it.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
well been daily driving it around town here and it runs and drives soooo good Cant wait to build this roller cam 305 I have and install my L98 cam . should wake it up. also took a 4 hour round trip with it and got 21 mph on the highway.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor