Went & did some tire kicking

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
There's opportunity to be had in that interior, let the JR take some mice rib bones out of the snake poo for needles, then stitch together the snake skins into some upholstery coverings.

Waste not want not, and, the ghetto crowd will be fawning over the snake skin upholstery as the earthy crunchy types will appreciate the recycling.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yesterday I did some invintorying of the extra parts I've collected to see what I have to use on the '79 if we get it. There is front & rear F41 sway bars to bump up the suspension, the poly bushed rear arms, 5 gauge cluster with 3 having tachs, '84 up dash harness with engine & front light harnesses from my '86, an aftermarket CD radio with mount kit, several '86 up radio face plates, the Jegs stainles exhaust kit & a pair of Magnaflow cats, spare stock maifolds with three studs ('80's truck?), chrome valve cover set, new 14" & 10" GMPP chrome air cleaners, several sport steering wheels, stock TH200 4R & a older aftermarket multi fit crossmember. Was looking over some other things that will be needed to get it to move around & what we could add to make his. I'm going to check out a set of MCSS wheels I might be able to get a good price that can still be in the invintory if we don't get it. The Jr. Mechanic don't like the six slot Nova rallys on it. Going 15" I figure 215/65's is the idea choice. Sometime this weekend I'm going to look at the stick shift parts to see what I'll need to get him rowing gears. There are a few other cars that are in the budget range I've seen that I want to see but I'll need to get a farce book account to contact the sellers.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well after the farce book debacle trying to look at an '85 SS, not finding anything local enough in the budget, then what was found would of been more work that wanted for a second project while working on my '81. There was some interesting cars like two LeMans in Ohio, a fair amount east of the Alleghenies but all outside of travel limit. A few family friends did help with check market place ads but we commited to the '79 "Poopie Carlo". Jr. Mechanic said he'll rename it after we get it cleaned up of all the turds & skins. Should have it here at the house by the weekend. Just need a trailer & get those wheels some tires.

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Once you start cleaning make sure you remove the dash pad when I stripped the 86 SS I bought, I was surprised to find there was an old mouse nest up under the top of the dash where they used all the insulation to make the nest and mouse pee stains everywhere. Since the car smelled like a wet dog when I bought it I didn't notice any other indication of the mice.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Once you start cleaning make sure you remove the dash pad when I stripped the 86 SS I bought, I was surprised to find there was an old mouse nest up under the top of the dash where they used all the insulation to make the nest and mouse pee stains everywhere. Since the car smelled like a wet dog when I bought it I didn't notice any other indication of the mice.
Before it can go in the garage I plan to strip it out as much as possible. Not sure how deep I'll let the Jr. Mechanic get into the cleaning but I want it to be cleaned out before he full can check things out for himself. I'm even expecting to find nesting in the heater box. This will let me know (as expecting) how much of the insulation pads are shreaded & pissed up. I also want to see id the wiring is damaged too dispite I plan an attempt to start it when we pick it up.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So Mr. Snaky-snear used to be a tenant and left his old clothing behind when he moved out? Well, they do happen to make cheap pairs of painter's coveralls, aka "bunny suits" that can be had at the local big box hardware store. Those, some good breathing masks to avoid inhaling the debris, heavy latex gloves for stuff that has to be handled, and a 5 gallon wet/dry vacuum and he'd be about set to engage in a snake delousing excercise. Any good autoparts store would be apt to carry a good grade of carpet/upholstery cleaner, or you could mix something up using commercial grade products like get used by office cleaners or janitors.

Sorry but i can't help with the interior or doors. All my interiors have been variants in the shade of red. I do happen to have a trunk lid and some of the poly-vinyl bumper covers and I think, even the front fascia but all for a 78. Might even be that rear bumper cover chrome strip but it is likely not so chromed any more. Doors? Yes and No. They are a year correct pair for 78-80 BUT, I crated them up in a packing box the size of a refrigerator more than 15 years ago and they are still in there but in what condition is open to question; something similar to the notion of Schroedinger's cat, neither dead nor alive until the box is opened. Thing about that crate is that it was built with a 2x4 stud frame and plywood panels and the lid was sealed using a large tube of ATV and a lot of screws. it has to weigh as much as 200 lbs.and its dolly wheels would need to be replaced as they are both flat and frozen. Plus there is the minor detail of a border to circumvent................

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So Mr. Snaky-snear used to be a tenant and left his old clothing behind when he moved out? Well, they do happen to make cheap pairs of painter's coveralls, aka "bunny suits" that can be had at the local big box hardware store. Those, some good breathing masks to avoid inhaling the debris, heavy latex gloves for stuff that has to be handled, and a 5 gallon wet/dry vacuum and he'd be about set to engage in a snake delousing excercise. Any good autoparts store would be apt to carry a good grade of carpet/upholstery cleaner, or you could mix something up using commercial grade products like get used by office cleaners or janitors.

Sorry but i can't help with the interior or doors. All my interiors have been variants in the shade of red. I do happen to have a trunk lid and some of the poly-vinyl bumper covers and I think, even the front fascia but all for a 78. Might even be that rear bumper cover chrome strip but it is likely not so chromed any more. Doors? Yes and No. They are a year correct pair for 78-80 BUT, I crated them up in a packing box the size of a refrigerator more than 15 years ago and they are still in there but in what condition is open to question; something similar to the notion of Schroedinger's cat, neither dead nor alive until the box is opened. Thing about that crate is that it was built with a 2x4 stud frame and plywood panels and the lid was sealed using a large tube of ATV and a lot of screws. it has to weigh as much as 200 lbs.and its dolly wheels would need to be replaced as they are both flat and frozen. Plus there is the minor detail of a border to circumvent................

Nick
I'll be prepaired burning up the cheap paint suits, gloves & masks. I got a portable upholstery scrubber & Shop Vac but think a Harbor Freight one (cheap & disposable) might be picked up. If I could clean a latrine after a we had a well earned weekend pass it should be nothing to clean the car.

The car does have extra doors, front clip, deck lid, some other exterior & interior parts coming with it. A seller on Ebay has the bumper chrome & interior parts colors don't bother me as I'll recolor as needed like with my '81's dark maple interior. I would like to put in a side speaker dash (don't care about year) in as it has a single speaker unit which is odd for an A/C car.

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sounds like a totally going operation at this point. Just a lot of cosmetic issues to get past. "Someone hold that pig whilst I get the lipstick................."

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sounds like a totally going operation at this point. Just a lot of cosmetic issues to get past. "Someone hold that pig whilst I get the lipstick................."

Nick
The goal of this is to get him to understand the basics & progress from their. Dad has his own plans for it which are more for safety than performance. Pretty will come later unless it is needed for the repair work being done.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Gotcha. Still, I strongly suspect that "pretty" is going to raise its ugly head, ( no pun intended) at some point, likely just about the time you get done with the mechanical and the safety aspects of it all.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor