What are you guys doing for vapor barriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A suggestion: try hitting up a local body shop for the bags that some bumper covers ship in. They tend to be pretty heavy gauge, and the many of them are large enough that you could cut a couple watershields out of them.

Ford uses them a lot on textured pieces. Plus, they should be FREE!

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I steal a clear vinyl tabletop cover from my Wife. Cut it to fit. Duct tape it on. EZPZ

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could also use a new clear shower curtain liner since they come in different mil thicknesses plus they are mildew resistant.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
The original vapor shields are actually secured with a kind of Butyl tape, the RV industry makes pretty heavy use of it. It stays flexible and sticky to provide watertight compression seals and sticks to everything (ask me how I know). You can pick up a roll at your local camping supply store and shape it into a bead to stick to your door so it will stay put while you position your shield over it.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I used clear Visqueen held on by strip caulk. I used the old paper barriers for a pattern. It seemed to work well.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The original vapor shields are actually secured with a kind of Butyl tape, the RV industry makes pretty heavy use of it. It stays flexible and sticky to provide watertight compression seals and sticks to everything (ask me how I know). You can pick up a roll at your local camping supply store and shape it into a bead to stick to your door so it will stay put while you position your shield over it.

Yeah, strip caulk is butyl in a slightly less staining form

• Agree
Nov 4, 2012
I used clear Visqueen held on by strip caulk. I used the old paper barriers for a pattern. It seemed to work well.

I found a roll of black visqueen in the garage. I have more than enough to make a couple vapor shields. The only thing I should have to cut out other than the basic outline is the door handle and the window crank. All the extra holes should be unnecessary since I don't have any wires in my doors.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I found a roll of black visqueen in the garage. I have more than enough to make a couple vapor shields. The only thing I should have to cut out other than the basic outline is the door handle and the window crank. All the extra holes should be unnecessary since I don't have any wires in my doors.
Black visqueen will work. I kinda used what I had in the garage. It was left over plastic I used when I made my homemade spray booth. You're right, there are some unnecessary holes you can eliminate.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Black visqueen will work. I kinda used what I had in the garage. It was left over plastic I used when I made my homemade spray booth. You're right, there are some unnecessary holes you can eliminate.

Yeah, this is leftovers from when I put hardwood flooring in the second floor. I set up the table saw in the one bedroom and had to section it off from the rest of the house to keep the dust down. Like you, using what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor