what carburetor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79T-top

Apprentice
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'm mostly going to be running stock other then exhaust, and I want to get rid of the quadrajet carburetor.

Are there any carbs that will be a direct bolt on to my stock manifold or do I have to buy one with a spread bore?

Also what CFM should I get?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Take it from someone who has messed around with carb swaps like this.

You want to keep the quadrajet.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Q-jet x2.

Footbrake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2006
Buffalo, New York
QJ

Nothing like a good running Quadrajet :D

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
"Why do people talk so much smack about them other then they don't know how to work on them. Why is it so hard?"

Huh? Kinda lost me here?

For a street/strip car up to about the 11 second range a properly set-up Q-jet is hard to beat.

They get a bad rap because the are not as user friendly (easy to work on) as a Holley.

I get all mine from a local friend, he goes by Carbdoctor on ebay.

I have used maybe 15 on customers cars over the years.

Great carbs , always work right out of the box.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
people talk smack about q-jets (aka quadrajunk, lol) because they have had so many hands on them that they blown way out a wack.
So just like a holley when its way off, they can be tricky to get back to where it should be set. and most people just dont understand all of the settings.

Also so often I have seen people get a hold of just any q-jet thinking that they are all they same, not understanding that when they come from the factory they are set up for certin motors. the jets, metering rods, air bleeds, all of that is has to be set for the motor your putting them on.

And last thing is that from the factory they are made to to get mileage and running quality, not for peak performance. But once built right they will get all of the above.

And for those wanting to figure the q-jet out, there is a book on them that will go all into what everything is and does, and how to adjust everything.

Or there are a few companies who will build up the q-jet for YOUR setup. You will spend about as much as you will on a new carb, but you will get better mileage, idle quality, and throttle response and just as must power.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I've owned them all, Quadrajet, Holley, Carter, Demon, and by far the easiest as far as out of box tuning and long term trouble free reliability i find the Edelbrock to be the best. I bought a 750 new back in 92 when they first came out and i have only had to rebuild it 2 times since then and am still using it today. No arguments please! It's just MY OPINION :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor