What color looks best on a 81 to 88 G Body Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
Thanks for the posts. FE3X you are wright dark colors due look best. I know black is a safe choice but I might just try aztec gold code 75. This gold is a dark rich metalic color. Metalic or non metalic colors? Black and white non metalic?

racing8up

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2010
3XBrownCutty said:
Brown FTW!! Mine is Dark Briar Brown. I wasn't sure at first, but now I love it...
IMG_1830.jpg
sweet im not the only one with a brown : car im gonna get that color of yours for a two tone on mine next winter ...looks good man :mrgreen:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm partial to 2-tones. My brother is a body guy and most of our personal cars get that treatment. It is an extra step in the process but always gets compliments. Since you are asking about Cutlass specifically, avoid bright colors unless you are trying to impersonate a Civic. Black is absolutely sinister but your body needs to be better than perfect and it's a pain to keep clean.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
by racing8up
sweet im not the only one with a brown : car im gonna get that color of yours for a two tone on mine next winter ...looks good man :mrgreen:
Thanks! I love it just because its not a real common color.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Go with whatever color you think looks good. Personally, i think black does look good. Im not a fan of the bright colors for g bodies. As far as 2 tones, i like them if its down low, like on the h/o's 442's, but i just dont think it looks right splitting up by the belt line. When i paint mine, im prolly gonna go with a really dark red, almost maroon-ish.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would say that dark colors are best on these cars, but only if the body is really straight. otherwise, white and silver look good as well. These cars tend to need a more conservative, formal color to look their best. I would stay away from bright colors like lime green, yellow or red as the formal lines of the car do not play well with a more playful color scheme.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I used to think Candy Apple Red looked good on any car...until I saw a Cutlass painted like that. Had the Black vinyl top. Just didn't look right.

Interior color has a lot to do with the decision too. If you are changing interior colors, then the option is open.

What type of look are you going for? Wheel choice goes along with this, also.

racing8up

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2010
Furtrader said:
I like two tone.
i love the color of your car im gonna do a 2 tone like your jus the oppisit tho but yours is sharp man i love it sweeeeeeeeeeet! heres mine im gonna do dark briar brown on top with my factory light briar brown on bottom

Bernhard

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
I am using the 78 to 81 olds aluminum rally rims 14x6 with 225/70r14 they are gold but will be painting them argent silver. wheel well trim and hood trim will stay and using 81 small rocker trim, bumpers and front and rear window trim will all stay chrome. Blanked antenna, door strip guards, half roof, door top trim and the big rocker trim and all embles will be blanked. The car will be badged with 1978/79 442 trim. Car will be 403 powered 4bl with duals. I am going for the pro stock 80's look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor