What color looks best on a 81 to 88 G Body Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
Thanks Bro! I nearly wet myself when I first saw that car. I still do! That car rocks!!

I dare say any light color like seen on most late model cars would look fantastic on a g body. And the two tones like whats seen on a 442 isnt hard to do either.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Joel86Cutlass said:
How about this color, Just finished painting this weekend. Factory color 86' Claret Metallic.

P1040911-1.jpg

Thats an awesome color man. Pretty close to the color im thinkin i might do when i go to paint one of these days. Also thinkin about getting a w30 hood and painting the scoops black.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
heres my color it flips a little bit greyish to gold color...it all depends on how the light hits it.

DSCN0566.jpg

ps dont give me sh*t about my rims, my ride is more than a ghetto old school for the few who will think that. check the link in my sig and your mind will change

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
I would say the color is going to depend on the overall body and the accessories:

Panel fitment & gap - no matter what color it is if the panels are wavy or fitment is poor it's going to look bad
Whether or not you have a vinyl roof - if so what color would the vinyl be if you paint it the Aztec Gold
Interior color - may not be as important but you kind of want a complimentary contrast

Accessories - wheels/tires, trim (how much brightwork and condition), body kits. These things can make / break a paint job. Kind of like the interior color.

Stance could come into play as well. And don't forget cleaning / waxing & polishing.

Like the paint jobs on the GP and Cutlass PontiacGP & deezy posted. The paint pops but it's not too over-the-top, kind of saddated, draws you in. And each has just the right amount of bright work with the wheels & trim.

But in the end it's what you like and want to see everyday - it's your car!!

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
Heres my old 86 monte that I sold I loved this color so much that im thinking of painting my 87 this color.

2313650_1_full.jpg

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
This is the best looking color combo on a G-Body Cutlass IMO:

l_65adfb22fa924a9893b865034a6afe25.jpg

l_9a4efe89e99c4f0e8e385ded04d895cb.jpg

1983 15th Anniversary Hurst/Olds FTMFW!

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
jae said:
I would say the color is going to depend on the overall body and the accessories:

Panel fitment & gap - no matter what color it is if the panels are wavy or fitment is poor it's going to look bad
Whether or not you have a vinyl roof - if so what color would the vinyl be if you paint it the Aztec Gold
Interior color - may not be as important but you kind of want a complimentary contrast

Accessories - wheels/tires, trim (how much brightwork and condition), body kits. These things can make / break a paint job. Kind of like the interior color.

Stance could come into play as well. And don't forget cleaning / waxing & polishing.

Like the paint jobs on the GP and Cutlass PontiacGP & deezy posted. The paint pops but it's not too over-the-top, kind of saddated, draws you in. And each has just the right amount of bright work with the wheels & trim.

But in the end it's what you like and want to see everyday - it's your car!!
thanks jae glad someone likes my paint :wink:

Qdub24 said:

this is nice, my next one will be somewhat like this

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
Qdub24 said:

I'm thinking about using the hurst/olds scheme on my t-top but changing the colors around a little! I was thinking maybe a deep purple or a royal blue at the top & a bright silver at the bottom. I know a lot of people probably will not like this but oh well... What do you guys think about that?

Something kinda like this
l_9f6c669cf29d41078fc3afacad97d175.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor