What color to paint with blue interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
I’ve never understood how you can be successful dying fabric or carpeting with a spray can. The examples that I’ve seen done this way look and feel like crap. Spray painting changes the fabric and makes it hard and stinky. Dying with immersion like you would do to a pair of blue jeans using indigo die is different. Tell me I’m wrong but I think the result would be like spraying Aqua Net hair spray on it.
The best luck I've had is using dye through an hvlp gun... But it's still not ideal. Still gets a little stiff but nothing like a spray can. Ideal results would be from recovering

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I beg to differ. While vinyl may look better, I believe the fabric will last longer. The vinyl dyes are only on the surface. The fabric is stained.
True, fabric is 'stained' w/the color vs. as a 'top coat'. The difference to me is vinyl is more consistent w/dying vs. cloth in a car seat application. Trying to get consistency w/each section when dying a cloth seat vs a vinyl seat will be more difficult. Plus, for the gearhead.... If you oops w/dying vinyl, you can wipe clean & do-over. Not so easy w/cloth.

YRMV.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Painting seats vinyl or fabric IMO is just a temporary fix since a seat is a high wear area and by painting fabric you loose the whole soft and plush aspect of it which is why you would want it in the first place, that and not wanting to burn your butt on a hot summer day.
For me when doing an interior color change I always start with buckets that are the color and material I want and match the rest of the interior to those.
Getting a Gbody rear seat reupholstered is far cheaper and easier than having a pair of bucket seats redone to match something and it is easy to install the upholstery yourself.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Painting seats vinyl or fabric IMO is just a temporary fix since a seat is a high wear area and by painting fabric you loose the whole soft and plush aspect of it which why you would want it in the first place, that and not wanting to burn your butt on a hot summer day.
For me when doing an interior color change I always start with buckets that are the color and material I want and match the rest of the interior to those.
Getting a Gbody rear seat reupholstered is far cheaper and easier than having a pair of bucket seats redone to match something and it is easy to install the upholstery yourself.
The dye job is just a temp fix. I plan on getting both the front and rear seats covered. I tested the spray on the headrest and I found it didn’t really stiffen the material. The dye I used is very thin. It’s much thinner than the stuff that you would use on vinyl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I’ve never understood how you can be successful dying fabric or carpeting with a spray can. The examples that I’ve seen done this way look and feel like crap. Spray painting changes the fabric and makes it hard and stinky. Dying with immersion like you would do to a pair of blue jeans using indigo die is different. Tell me I’m wrong but I think the result would be like spraying Aqua Net hair spray on it.
PPG suggest after each coat to use a nylon brush & brush the carpet & velour in all driections to keep the fabric fibers seperated between coats. They also call it enhancing not dying. Here's the P-sheet for it when it was called Specialty Performance Products, now it's called One Choice.

Attachments

• PD731_Elastomeric_Color_System_SC_Series[1].pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
PPG suggest after each coat to use a nylon brush & brush the carpet & velour in all driections to keep the fabric fibers seperated between coats. They also call it enhancing not dying. Here's the P-sheet for it when it was called Specialty Performance Products, no it's called One Choice.
I wasn’t aware ppg had it. My old jobber only carried DuPont. That’s also what we use at my new job. The DuPont stuff is too thick to use on fabric.
I saw a review of the rust oleum outdoor fabric dye. I tried it and it actually seemed to be pretty good. I brushed it in on the early coats, maybe that’s why it seems fairly soft.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I wasn’t aware ppg had it. My old jobber only carried DuPont. That’s also what we use at my new job. The DuPont stuff is too thick to use on fabric.
I saw a review of the rust oleum outdoor fabric dye. I tried it and it actually seemed to be pretty good. I brushed it in on the early coats, maybe that’s why it seems fairly soft.
I used to work at supply shop that sold PPG & discovered that stuff when I wanted to get a pair of door panels dyed to matchmy interior. I did the pair done, a 4 spoke steering wheel & some plastic parts. Everything has been holding up.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I used to work at supply shop that sold PPG & discovered that stuff when I wanted to get a pair of door panels dyed to matchmy interior. I did the pair done, a 4 spoke steering wheel & some plastic parts. Everything has been holding up.
I used the DuPont stuff on my boat side bolsters. A little scuff with scuff stuff and I shot them. It’s lasted for like 6 years. A little faded but it didn’t peel. Probably helped that they were so dried out.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the ppg stuff's thin,feels like activated basecoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor