What did you buy for your G body today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I see. I don't fully understand the logic behind all of it, but I see. So is your exhaust pressure over riding the waist gate spring?
Being able to stack unlimited 30-40psi on either side of the gate as needed, when needed. With very fine resolution. Hold the gate shut until you turn the compressor into a flame thrower. 😀

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Ordered new headliner card, sun visors, hardware and clips. Now if I can just find all the other parts I’ve bought in the last few years somewhere in my house. I’ll be ready to get my interior done this winter ready to install after new paint in the spring.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I see. I don't fully understand the logic behind all of it, but I see. So is your exhaust pressure over riding the waist gate spring?

If the hotside plumbing flows well to the wastegate, then yes. In my situation, I have a 4lb spring making about 20 psi - so the answer to your question on my setup is no. It does that because there is not enough exhaust pressure for it to leak out of the wastegate. Around 20lbs I start developing backpressure, so the exhaust will start bleeding off out of the wastegate enough to stop increasing the boost level rather than go through the exhaust turbine of the turbo.

Kinda funny, to me at least, most everyone knows of boost creep. Boost creep is usually a result of the wastegate not bleeding a consistent amount of exhaust pressure to maintain a steady boost level. It can also be a result of too small of a wastegate. The common concern is that you can develop too much boost or uncontrollable boost levels, but my concern is that I'm not getting enough boost creep - I want more than 20 psi lol. My setup creeps about 16psi.

The other issue I have is that I'm building boost slowly, or not as fast as I can, once I get off the 2 step when launching. Some of that is due to the wastegate is open and a small amount of exhaust pressure is leaking off making me build boost slower than I could. Currently, I'm getting to the top of 1st gear or just shifting into 2nd to hit about 20psi. Dome control should get me to full boost well before 5500 rather than 6500-6800rpms it take now, I believe.

grrr, spring is a long way away.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If the hotside plumbing flows well to the wastegate, then yes. In my situation, I have a 4lb spring making about 20 psi - so the answer to your question on my setup is no. It does that because there is not enough exhaust pressure for it to leak out of the wastegate. Around 20lbs I start developing backpressure, so the exhaust will start bleeding off out of the wastegate enough to stop increasing the boost level rather than go through the exhaust turbine of the turbo.

Kinda funny, to me at least, most everyone knows of boost creep. Boost creep is usually a result of the wastegate not bleeding a consistent amount of exhaust pressure to maintain a steady boost level. It can also be a result of too small of a wastegate. The common concern is that you can develop too much boost or uncontrollable boost levels, but my concern is that I'm not getting enough boost creep - I want more than 20 psi lol. My setup creeps about 16psi.

The other issue I have is that I'm building boost slowly, or not as fast as I can, once I get off the 2 step when launching. Some of that is due to the wastegate is open and a small amount of exhaust pressure is leaking off making me build boost slower than I could. Currently, I'm getting to the top of 1st gear or just shifting into 2nd to hit about 20psi. Dome control should get me to full boost well before 5500 rather than 6500-6800rpms it take now, I believe.

Can I get an order of falafel with that gyro, please?
Dontgetit What GIF by KSANA

• Haha

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Ordered enough SEM products to paint all my interior parts ( dash, door panels , and all trim panels ) Over $200.00 and I still need to go to my paint mixing store for more paint. The local trim shop has vinyl and suede in my 96 Camaro color. I’m going to have him do my new headliner card, and sun visors in suede and the upper door panels in vinyl.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

For as cool as that is from a functionality and tuning stand point: fix your hotside.

Reactions: 2 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Bearings for the 12 bolt rear showed up
today
Tune up parts for the 88MC followed

Attachments

• 05D82D8A-70BA-4B89-8E3D-8FD3534F3F14.jpeg
    05D82D8A-70BA-4B89-8E3D-8FD3534F3F14.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For as cool as that is from a functionality and tuning stand point: fix your hotside.
I’m with you on fixing the hot side - it will be done.

FWIW - I’m not really into the cool thing - I’m into whipping $80k builds with a G that’s built not bought 😉. But I’m not there yet - and I know it - but it’s on the horizon.

Yhanks for the input - keep it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor