What did you do at work today?

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Funny I went over what I wanted per hour, showed him updates, and was in contact the whole time. Then he acted surprised when I told him where we were at.
Based on that story it sounds like he did some of the bondo work himself and thought it was close enough that you would just finish it and make it look good to save money... aka traditional 'self help' already of time.
I think so. That’s why I showed the picture when I hit it with the block and it looked like a zebra from all the waves. I spent a lot of time straightening what he gave me.

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Started these a few weeks ago. We’re in primer as soon as I ran my block over them, I saw how crappy they were. Then the filler started falling off. Finally got them in primer Saturday. Told the owner today where we were at, and he wasn’t happy with my price, even though he signed an agreement before hand. Glad I only got into the job this far. He’s expecting to give me the car as it looks in the brown, to turn it into the black cars paint job on a Maaco budget. Don’t need that kind of work.
Some people just don’t get it

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Q. to you here, were those fenders repops or gennie old steel, or fibreglass? Not important per se as from the pictures you put a lot of work into getting them right. Just me being curious about the base material and whether or not the owner went into what I call "slather mode" and just threw layer after layer of bondo at them in the expectation that at some point they would magically be flat and straight?

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Q. to you here, were those fenders repops or gennie old steel, or fibreglass? Not important per se as from the pictures you put a lot of work into getting them right. Just me being curious about the base material and whether or not the owner went into what I call "slather mode" and just threw layer after layer of bondo at them in the expectation that at some point they would magically be flat and straight?

Nick
Isn’t that how the make it happen on those TV rebuild shows? One day a rotting hulk next day perfect and straight?

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey

Nick
They are original 36 fenders. It’s funny, they had a lot of unnecessary filler on them. I cut them down with acrylic blocks and got them pretty straight. I wound up putting a skim coat on, but not what was on there. They were welded together by a different guy that’s actually building the car. I’m supposed to do the finish work, prime, and paint. It’s not an ideal scenario, and I laid out that it would be time + materials. We were going back in forth in texts yesterday, and I may have misinterpreted what he wrote, or he came to his senses today. I have to call him later to go over everything.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
So we cleared the air today. Communicating through test isn’t always the best. Started blocking the right fender tonight. Happy with how it’s sanding out.

Attachments

• 1C3C580E-D071-437B-9FB8-5DEAC03E5ACD.jpeg
    1C3C580E-D071-437B-9FB8-5DEAC03E5ACD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
Way to damn much.

Ive been down 2 guys this week so I am wearing all the hats right now. Purchasing, My sales accounts, and the other sales guys accounts, and the Counter sales. My guys are in marketing meetings I passed on going to.
I have too many projects on the go to be at networking dinners and presentations while planted on the worlds most uncomfortable chairs.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ran some plumbing and electrical in the bottom of a unit. I know it doesn't look like much, but that was two days. Got pulled off multiple times to order other guys parts, Check stock in. Etc. Oh and that area is only 16" tall, but 48" deep.

20230210_151357.jpg

20230210_151411.jpg

20230210_151508.jpg

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Wasn't supposed to be in the rotation for a shift but the phone rang just after 7 AM and the voice on the other end said "Can you come in?" Tuesday Night's weather started as rain, changed to freezing rain, turned cold, and changed to blowing snow overnight and into Wednesday. That converted most of area's roads into skating rinks with lots of black ice and NO traction. The city had a lot of fender benders and all the highways were closed at one point or another due to wrecks or get offs into the bush. And my boss was wondering if I was willing to drive a route in all this SH**. ?????

Got to the Transit yard fairly easily cause the roads weren't totally frozen at that point; by the time we had sorted and loaded, the temps had dropped more and the roads were screwed. Everyone waxes ecstatic about front wheel drives; My Nissan Fuggly was a pig on a skating rink. Low ground clearance and no traction; perfect recipe for a wreck, and I have the lyrics for Paul Simon's "Slip-Sliding Away" running in the back of my mind. Go to turn a corner, off the acc pedal a half block ago, foot no where near the brake pedal, wheel is so far to the left that I am at full lock, and I am headed for a snow bank!!! Tread finally caught enough grip to cut the turn. City won't equip the Fugglies with proper snow tires; budget BS and some supervisor looking to save $$$ and look good.

Did manage to pull the run and get back to the shop in one piece. Blowing snow is ending but the temp is still dropping. Ran the situation past my super and she is cool with either cancelling the PM drive or short lunching and running hot and fast before things get worse, On board with that as the faster i get done, the sooner I get home and off the roads before the charge of the 3 O'clock Squirrels begins.

Bagged lunch, reloaded, and went back out to play. Hour and a half later, done. Head for the wash point because the front suspension and wheel wells are crammed with snow, steering sucks and the tires are squeaking as they push past the build up. Took the better part of a half hour more to delouse the front end using a water hose. Could have gone with its high pressure cousin but that line is a wrestling match to use and dangerous to all if gets free.

Back in the mechanic's bay, but can't park, The South Run Fuggly has a service truck parked in front of it and the tech is doing a tire change. South mentioned having a low tire issue during morning sort but wasn't aware that he had called for a tire change. More waiting; he's gone home already, and the tech wants the vehicle KM because the City wants it logged on the work sheet. South's keys go home with him, tech is unhappy, Okay, okay, fast shuffle into the mail room to get the spare keys and boot the Fuggly up just far enough that the dash comes alive so I can feed the tech the numbers he needs. Shut the Fuggly down and return the keys to the hook. He leaves, I park, submit the paperwork for the swap by slipping it under the boss's door while she is on the phone, and I am outta there.

Getting home was kind of anti-climactic. Picked the curb land and stayed in it, even though the road surface by itself is pot hole central. Wiill likely need new shocks and stabillzer end links this spring. Ate half my late lunch, fell asleep until supper and ate the rest, then fell asleep again. Adrenaline is handy for a lot of things but coming off the high it can generate sucks.

Nick

PS About that "FUGGLY" tag, A sales rep that I used to do business with coined the term. It is a contraction of the words "F*****g Ugly" and it is sort of unfair in one respect. Yeah, they are not the world's most esthetically pleasing looking vehicles, but hey, I did manage to put 1500 pounds of cargo in what is technically a vehicle with a cap of circa 1000 pounds and didn't kill the motor or suspension so.....it has its virtues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Isn’t that how the make it happen on those TV rebuild shows? One day a rotting hulk next day perfect and straight?
That's PowerBlock TV.. in this hour episode with commercials (so 50 minutes) we will take this 3fiddy block from the junkyard and have it machined, parts ordered, built, installed in a car, broke in, dynotuned, and running down the track.

We are slow where I'm at, been playing pranks on each other. Makes the day go by..🤣

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor