What did you do to/with your chainsaw today

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I have been known to travel across state lines for saws...
I've done it down here.

I've been thinking about the paint pen to fill in the black lines on mine there, carb cleaner took them right off.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Sorry I missed this post, I was on a highway somewhere running on 4 hours of sleep chucking piss jugs at hotshot drivers (those guys are the worst). Did you end up buying a saw or are you still in the market?
I stand behind my suggestions in my response to that question a while back, proven power and they work. I like to cut quick not all day.

Nov 4, 2012
I've done it down here.

I've been thinking about the paint pen to fill in the black lines on mine there, carb cleaner took them right off.

It's not as durable as the powdercoat that I use on the cases and the other white pieces, but it's easy to touch up and better than Sharpie. Gas will take it off if it sits on it but a quick splash doesn't hurt it.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Took the new MS461 out and dialed in the fuel curve. Haven't run it in any wood yet but it sounds healthy. Throttle response is excellent, raps up quick. Once I get in the wood I'll dial in the upper end, just a hair fat right now.

MS461.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Sorry I missed this post, I was on a highway somewhere running on 4 hours of sleep chucking piss jugs at hotshot drivers (those guys are the worst). Did you end up buying a saw or are you still in the market?
Still going to be in the market. Borrowed a small limb saw for some light yard cleanup and pushed the bigger projects off till fall.

I went to a couple of local authorized/independent franchises but nobody had availability on anything that seemed worthwhile. Whether they REALLY didn't, or, if they just were thin and holding stuff for established customers I couldn't say. But I didn't want to wait the time they said it would take to order something before getting to some of the urgent work. So... yep.

Wasn't worth the time to go retrieve anything of mine to handle some dead limbs and a couple too-close-to-systems issues. So those were knocked out in one weekend. The rest need to be hit hard once the weather turns.

Besides, chucking piss jugs at entitles smug corvette drivers that dart around and merge unsafely has merit.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Still going to be in the market. Borrowed a small limb saw for some light yard cleanup and pushed the bigger projects off till fall.

I went to a couple of local authorized/independent franchises but nobody had availability on anything that seemed worthwhile. Whether they REALLY didn't, or, if they just were thin and holding stuff for established customers I couldn't say. But I didn't want to wait the time they said it would take to order something before getting to some of the urgent work. So... yep.

Wasn't worth the time to go retrieve anything of mine to handle some dead limbs and a couple too-close-to-systems issues. So those were knocked out in one weekend. The rest need to be hit hard once the weather turns.

Besides, chucking piss jugs at entitles smug corvette drivers that dart around and merge unsafely has merit.

60cc with a 20-24" bar should do you well. If you want to go with a Stihl, I'd look into an 036, MS360 or 361. I'd avoid the 362 and 391.

If you want to go Husqvarna the 562xp is the fastest (stock) saw in the 60cc class, though I wouldn't buy a used one because the older models had some expensive carb issues. If you want to look at the used market, the Husqvarna 359 can be had for a bargain. It's identical twin, the 357xp is a bit more powerful out of the box, but doesn't have the low end grunt of the 359 and they don't port as nicely as a 359.

I don't know how messed up the supply chain situation is with saws currently but a year or two ago it was really messed up, most dealer shelves were bare. Just something to keep in mind if you intend on going new.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I'd avoid the 362 and 391.
MS391 is a dog, the MS362 MKII manual Carb version does exist and I prefer that over the M-Tronic. MS361, 360, 036 with that older anti-vibration system will rattle you a little bit in the end of the day.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor