What did you do to/with your chainsaw today

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Had a small tornado hit near a buddy's place, wrecked his neighbor's stuff a little bit. Half this tree was on the house. Put the saws to work. Amazing what wind will do.

Ran a few saws today as well as the neighbors with their stuff.

MS261 Pro Saw
MS362C Pro Saw
MS461 Pro Saw
MS171
MS290 Farm Boss

View attachment 194647 View attachment 194648 View attachment 194649 View attachment 194650 View attachment 194651
Looks like a commercial for Stihl lol I like it!

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'm trying to sell this one. It's a super clean 272XP. I bought it maybe a year or two ago and I've used it a couple times but honestly it's been too nice for me to use. Also my 461 is only a little heavier will cut circles around it.

20220317_132047.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
New bar and chain for the MS 310. Pretty sure the old bar was tweaked slightly, and would throw sparks out the bottom of the bar when cutting.
20220420_134833.jpg

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine is being a little bipolar and I can't help but think it's the tune given my elevation. I drained the old gas, put in fresh, all new fuel lines, clean carb so we can cross that off. Problem is the adjuster screws have these dumb caps on them and I can't seem to find out which way is rich and which way is lean.

PXL_20220423_183654822.jpg

Common sense would tell me out is fat, but that's assuming these control fuel and not a air bleed. Here's why I think it's rich:

PXL_20220423_183750704.jpg

I can't use my nose or an O2 gauge since 2 stroke smells no matter what. It ran well enough to cut up a couple of old 4x6s then got warm and angry and quit. Same as my Crown Victoria would do before I rejected for altitude. Can anyone shed some light on those adjusters? It's a wee 18" Poulan Wild Thing built in 2000 but it's plenty capable for this light work.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Mine is being a little bipolar and I can't help but think it's the tune given my elevation. I drained the old gas, put in fresh, all new fuel lines, clean carb so we can cross that off. Problem is the adjuster screws have these dumb caps on them and I can't seem to find out which way is rich and which way is lean.

View attachment 197067

Common sense would tell me out is fat, but that's assuming these control fuel and not a air bleed. Here's why I think it's rich:

View attachment 197068

I can't use my nose or an O2 gauge since 2 stroke smells no matter what. It ran well enough to cut up a couple of old 4x6s then got warm and angry and quit. Same as my Crown Victoria would do before I rejected for altitude. Can anyone shed some light on those adjusters? It's a wee 18" Poulan Wild Thing built in 2000 but it's plenty capable for this light work.
I had the same saw years ago. I think I removed the cover and modified the carb adjusters so they could be done with a screwdriver with the cover on. One is a high setting (full throttle) and the other idle air you can tune it by ear hold it open and turn until it runs smoothly same for idle I often had a problem with dirt somehow getting in the carb and I'd have to take it apart and blow it out. At one point it has a cracked gas line. It would not leak but it would suck air and go lean there's also a fuel filter on the gas line in the tank you can check. Mine eventually went lean and cooked the rings. That's when I went Stihl

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I had the same saw years ago. I think I removed the cover and modified the carb adjusters so they could be done with a screwdriver with the cover on. One is a high setting (full throttle) and the other idle air you can tune it by ear hold it open and turn until it runs smoothly same for idle I often had a problem with dirt somehow getting in the carb and I'd have to take it apart and blow it out. At one point it has a cracked gas line. It would not leak but it would suck air and go lean there's also a fuel filter on the gas line in the tank you can check. Mine eventually went lean and cooked the rings. That's when I went Stihl

Gave those stupid plastic things a tug and they came right out. Low speed was about 1.5 turns out, I put it at 2 and bang whole new animal. Fiddled a little with it but it seemed happy there. Now to figure out the high speed tuning, seems there's an ear for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Now to figure out the high speed tuning, seems there's an ear for that.

There is. Listen for "four stroking" at WOT. Basically when the saw is only hitting on every other combustion cycle.

Then make a cut and the 4 stroking should "clean up" and sound smoother under load during the cut.

If you don't hear it four stroking at all, it's too lean. If it is four stroking in the cut, it's too rich.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Sold a saw today. My Stihl 028, kind of the saw that got me into saws. But I've got enough other 50cc saws and this one hasn't been used in forever. I think I'm down to a dozen or so(?) now.
20200411_194425.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor