Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
mebe007 said:
jrm81bu said:
The codes above are what you'd find on the spid label. The codes that he got are found on the diff itself.

right. those codes can also be found on the build sheet.

I just meant that the codes he has will tell him what he has. I think there may be a listing of them in one of the other sections. For that year there won't be a spid label.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Phoenyx said:
Also got the vacuum line hooked up on the transmission. Now it's shifting like it should. But still gotta hook the kick-down up.

Tomorrow Hope to get all the rest of the vacuum lines cleaned up, try to tune it, and maybe fix the kickdown.

I also removed these lines here:
423675_10150594282156423_554071422_9321764_1247556393_n.jpg

The red line is what I removed. He had some miss matched line, so it wasn't sealing and was causing a vacuum leak. It went from the carb (PORTED) to that thing on the waterneck, from there it 'T''ed off. One into the heater core valve (blue), the other all the way over to the driver's side inner fender. I have no clue what the part on the fender does (or did), and I'm not sure if having no vacuum to that valve leaves it open or closed. I just didn't have the hose I needed today, so if I need that stuff I will hook it back up. Still can't find where that yellow hose off the air/heat stuff goes.

Took the car for a small test drive to see if the transmission would shift, and it does now. Not getting it insured until next week, so just a small cruise around the block lol.

On my car it's hooked up as follows:
Vacuum Line to the vacuum ball
Pink Line from the Ball into the Car
White line from the car into the heater valve ( see the white line with a rubber hose connection resting on the heater hose )

As you may be able to see in the pic below, on my car the heater valve is actually mounted just outside the heater core ( yours is closer to the alternator for some reason ). The heater valve is closed by vacuum when the system it set to Max A/C, so in the summer I hook the heater valve straight to manifold vacuum ( and plug the white line ) so no heated water goes into the heater core.

It's coming along nicely !!

04-06-09_0817.jpg

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Well today I think I got lucky !!!
Running a little late for work and there was little fuel in the work van ( and no time to stop for some ) so I thought I would take the Monte into work today. PIA to get to it so I had to juggle the cars in the driveway ( Monte sits at the top ). I dug it out and left the Monte running on the street while I put the work van and wifeys car back in the driveway. When I got back in the car it stunk of unburnt fuel but figuring it was the choke pulled out a little too rich and I pushed on. I got about 3 blocks away and still could smell fuel. So at the next stopsign I got out and it smelled worse so I popped the hood and there was fuel running down into the wells intake, back along the valve cover and the fan was splashing it back too !!
I ran back around to shut the car off, grabbed the extinguisher from the passenger side ( just in case ) and luckily I had a rag under the seat. Came back around and I soaked up as much fuel as I could as I could feel the heat coming off the now warm headers !!! Turns out the banjo bolt going into the carb had backed off and was spraying fuel hitting the underside of my aircleaner. I was rather stranded as I had no tools ! I wrapped the rag around the joint as tight as I could and limped it back home the 2 or so blocks. A quick tightening with a wrench and I was back on my way again but man what a way to start a morning !

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
axisg said:
Phoenyx said:
Also got the vacuum line hooked up on the transmission. Now it's shifting like it should. But still gotta hook the kick-down up.

Tomorrow Hope to get all the rest of the vacuum lines cleaned up, try to tune it, and maybe fix the kickdown.

I also removed these lines here:
423675_10150594282156423_554071422_9321764_1247556393_n.jpg

The red line is what I removed. He had some miss matched line, so it wasn't sealing and was causing a vacuum leak. It went from the carb (PORTED) to that thing on the waterneck, from there it 'T''ed off. One into the heater core valve (blue), the other all the way over to the driver's side inner fender. I have no clue what the part on the fender does (or did), and I'm not sure if having no vacuum to that valve leaves it open or closed. I just didn't have the hose I needed today, so if I need that stuff I will hook it back up. Still can't find where that yellow hose off the air/heat stuff goes.

Took the car for a small test drive to see if the transmission would shift, and it does now. Not getting it insured until next week, so just a small cruise around the block lol.

On my car it's hooked up as follows:
Vacuum Line to the vacuum ball
Pink Line from the Ball into the Car
White line from the car into the heater valve ( see the white line with a rubber hose connection resting on the heater hose )

As you may be able to see in the pic below, on my car the heater valve is actually mounted just outside the heater core ( yours is closer to the alternator for some reason ). The heater valve is closed by vacuum when the system it set to Max A/C, so in the summer I hook the heater valve straight to manifold vacuum ( and plug the white line ) so no heated water goes into the heater core.

It's coming along nicely !!

04-06-09_0817.jpg

I don't know if all are like this, but my heater valve threads right into the intake. So I think that spot might have been the only option. But nice to know where that line finally goes. Thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The heater valve is closed by vacuum when the system it set to Max A/C, so in the summer I hook the heater valve straight to manifold vacuum ( and plug the white line ) so no heated water goes into the heater core.

I would leave it hooked up in the summer cause if the car starts to overheat it's nice have that to pull some of the heat from the engine

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I started up the GP today, it fired up quick and ran smooth even with the old gas from last year. The engine sounds healthy and not a puff of smoke. I can't wait to drop that ZZ4 roller cam into it

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I cleaned up my posi I bought a few weeks ago getting it ready to get installed.

Attachments

• IMAG0288.jpg
    IMAG0288.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 472

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I replaced all the tire valve stems. They were rotted. Cheap Chinese junk was recalled several years ago so go check on yours if you did stems 3-4 years ago. Just bend them over and if they are severely cracked have them changed as they WILL leak.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Replacing the Balljoints and Bushings..

Attachments

• front end.jpg
    front end.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 474

junior4053

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2012
Croswell, MI
It is so nice in Michigan me and my 11 year old son went for about a 100 mile cruise. Was a great day showing and teaching the youngster some G Body love!

Attachments

• 2012-03-15_17-25-52_880.jpg
    2012-03-15_17-25-52_880.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 430
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor