What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Dig your Junk yard shopping cart! Have one myself except that it got diverted from pick a part excursions to being a storage cart for Auto-stick transmissions. The th200R4 is in good shape but the BOP TH400 needs a new front pump assembly as it got stored in an outside shed and the shaft and pump drive were exposed to sand and corruption. The oil is nice and clean and a rich shade of red with no stink of burning fibres to it. Think I mentioned that the next door neighbour used to race BB Pontiacs on a circle track and a lot of his donor blocks got to his garage wearing auto-sticks. he was always a three pedal kind of guy so the slushboxes got stacked and forgotten. This one is likely the last he ever had come his way before he quit pouring money down that bottomless pit known as "Racing". I managed to intercept the scrapper that was coming to pick it up for junk money and paid him off the let me have it. Melodramatic but couldn't see it being turned into shredded junk just for a few bucks. Not sure if I can recase it from the BOP bolt pattern shell to a 400 GM body. Anyone ever done it?

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Seems to be nice and straight, except the rear bumper looks crooked in the photo. The blue steering wheel does look brash in the otherwise clean looking interior, and what looks like a purple accent light in the passenger footwell would have to go. Do you think that the sales lot will negotiate with you on your idea of a fair price?

It appears to be reasonably straight, though the doors are always a little wavy on about 90% of these.

Honestly, I'm probably better off biting the bullet and finishing the red coupe. I had considered looking at replacing it with this one, but really, a lot of stuff i feel needs to be done is stuff that the one i already own has already had done.

I didn't really look at the bumper (other than the chrome), bit it's got a receiver on it (bumper bar), so that may be why it appears to be rolled.

I'll give it a little time, they tend to come down on price pretty regularly when a little time passes. I think they just got this one, I go by there daily on my way to work, and had not seen it before yesterday. Specialty lot though, so who knows?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
so it's to nice to be a donor for the wagon project?

I can't in good conscience cut up a running driving Malibu coupe for the wagon....or I would have used the red one for that. They're just too hard to find in these parts.

It'll make somebody a decent start, just not me at their asking price, I have the benefit/disadvantage of knowing what it's going to take in terms of time/money to make it nice. Be good for somebody that just wants a driving project or is in love with 90s style.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
While beginning to pack for the wrecking yard, knowing the forecast is for light scattered showers, my wife told me a severe storm warning had just been broadcast on TV. Will wait it out for an hour or so, then take off to the wrecking yard to the south of me, while the storm is moving to the north. This will be the first time that I visit the yard I am going to today. It is about 35 miles away. I have driven past it before while at work, and it has a lot of older vehicles.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just finishing up installing the lower insert panels into the door panels. They look killer...
20200530_121628.jpg

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Just finishing up installing the lower insert panels into the door panels. They look killer... View attachment 147780
Those panels are looking good in black. When you posted that you were going to paint them, my thought was "why?", they were fantastic looking in the two-tone color when you picked them up. Of course, I didn't know what color your vehicle interior was. That black shows off the texture very nicely.

Reactions: 5 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I can't in good conscience cut up a running driving Malibu coupe for the wagon....or I would have used the red one for that. They're just too hard to find in these parts.

It'll make somebody a decent start, just not me at their asking price, I have the benefit/disadvantage of knowing what it's going to take in terms of time/money to make it nice. Be good for somebody that just wants a driving project or is in love with 90s style.

You outta see everything I have to do to the 81' Malibu in the course of the summer just to beat the Winter season. Crossing fingers I get the car back on at least by Tuesday or Wednesday, the bill going to be well over $1000 just for the repairs I can't do because I don't have the shop equipment to do it. Then there after it will need a New Wind Shield, Radiator, Alternator, Exhaust, Air Conditioning, Brakes, Coils and Struts, Suspension kit, possibly a new Sending unit, Underside rust clean up though not alot just a few trouble spots I am going to use a rust converter for much of it, A New modern Radio, Interior Head liner, all round Weather stripping , Cat Whiskers etc, I still have a lower Door Hinge to put in, Headlight dimmer switch, Center mirror put back onto the windshield. I have to repair dents and rust holes on the body then repaint to the color I have planned for it. Then save up for what I have planned for the motor rebuild (Hint: a Similar GN Turbo application) .

Much of what I have mentioned here I can do myself, some other stuff I may have to take to a Meineke, Auto Glass etc. Like you these G-bodies are super rare to get in our local area, Sure you'll see a bunch of El Camino's and Monte Carlo's but not these Malibu's. This car is a Jem in the rough and was highly coveted only after I showed interest into it on Facebook Market place (and mostly likely would have been built as a dragster). My intention is to restore it to get it back on the road, and participate on next years Power Tour 2021. Thankfully the previous owners where a first come first serve type otherwise I would never have gotten this car, as there were a few people trying to bid high on this thing.

As for the 79', I think it would be a good idea to wait for the price to get marked down a touch, anymore than that sitting on it waiting any further you may have someone snatch it from you. . . Good Luck. (y)

Last edited:

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Technically not mine but.....

View attachment 147782

Yep, going to be a pain in A##, but when I get the some of the body work straightened out and re-primed, I gotta pull everything off just like this on the Malibu. . . Uggghhh. . Since it's not yours, I am going to point out that the door looks like its got to get wet sanded a bit more, along with a few other spots I see in the surrounding area. . . . Otherwise it's a good primer job.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor