What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to replace my body bushing but I'm terrified I will find something like that and what could be a medium undertaking will spiral out of control
Still need to do it. If it is as bad as you think, it's not going to get any better by ignoring it and acting like it isn't. You never know until you do it.

I got lucky on my car and was able to replace all the body mount bushings and bolts without major issues. I had to cut a couple holes in the body to access broken cage nuts but I was very glad I did. The stock rubber bushings were in horrible shape and some of the bolts were rusted so bad they were about ready to snap. Much better now until I can do a frame of restore.

I about burnt my car to the ground last night. I took it out for a little drive and everything was great until almost home.

I first noticed the voltage was a little low. Then when I stopped at a light the car died and it wouldn't start, like the battery was completely dead. I think the starter solenoid clicked once. Next I noticed smoke coming out from the hood.

I tried starting it a few more times after a quick check under the hood and not noticing anything major wrong. Finally it barely started. I got it home and found the small gauge ground wire from the battery to the body had all the insulation melted and the wire was exposed.

The only thing I can figure is that the 6 awg wire going to the alternator bracket must not have been making a good connection and all the current was being drawn through the little wire.

Took care of that today and drove it without issue. Glad I didn't have to get it towed!

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_233158.jpg
    IMG_20210612_233158.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210612_233250.jpg
    IMG_20210612_233250.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 80
drove it to the nationals in nh.stopped by my aunts house who i haven't seen since october last year,it all went well,good to see her.I'm thinking about reducing the amount of timing from the weights in distributor and adding more initial @the crank.i don't think i want to lock it out but i want to see if this will make a difference.I'm not sure.

After upgrading a couple of the grounds because of my near electrical mishap, I finally noticed how small the alternator feed was from the factory to the positive side of the battery so I went crazy with a 4 gauge cable.

I've had this car for 27 years and it had a lot of intermittent electrical issues from the time I bought it until around 5 years ago when I eliminated the starter being the common positive feed and routed everything away from the motor. There were a lot of splices down by the starter, I'm assuming because of burnt wires needing to be replaced, bad crimp connectors, and oily wiring from the motor.

I thought everything was great and charging was stable but upgrading the alternator feed made a big difference. I was running the A/C, fan full blast, and all the lights and the voltage was holding better than it did before. I also noticed a difference in the brightness of the headlights and dash lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20210613_214707.jpg
    IMG_20210613_214707.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
I about burnt my car to the ground last night. I took it out for a little drive and everything was great until almost home.

I first noticed the voltage was a little low. Then when I stopped at a light the car died and it wouldn't start, like the battery was completely dead. I think the starter solenoid clicked once. Next I noticed smoke coming out from the hood.

I tried starting it a few more times after a quick check under the hood and not noticing anything major wrong. Finally it barely started. I got it home and found the small gauge ground wire from the battery to the body had all the insulation melted and the wire was exposed.

The only thing I can figure is that the 6 awg wire going to the alternator bracket must not have been making a good connection and all the current was being drawn through the little wire.

Took care of that today and drove it without issue. Glad I didn't have to get it towed!
I had exactly the same issue about a year ago. My ground cable was mounted to the alternator bracket and came loose because the screw hole was partially stripped. My cable was long enough to reach the bolt at the water outlet, so that is where I fastened it down.

Another attempt at getting the AC bracketry on the Caballero.
Found out that I was still missing a small bracket going from the manifold exhaust bolt to the adjustment point of the PS bracket.
My solution was to adapt the backing/support bracket for the AC compressor with a cutout to allow the original non-AC bracket to slide through and bolt up (also required a small amount of bending to original bracket).
I got that mounted up and the PS pump aligned.
20210614_054357.jpg

Next, I added the rear mount brackets. The bracket at the rear of the compressor needed some reworking. I will get pics of that later.

The things that did not happen:
1) New PS pump, steering gearbox. The new pump that I bought months ago has the return outlet in the wrong place. I tried to get a bend in the tube, but it is too short to bend and just twisted the rear plate of the pump. Un-returnable now. Will not swap the steering gearbox until I have a new PS pump mounted.
Also undone, AC condenser install. I misplaced the rubber isolators, spending hours looking for them 2-3 times everywhere I thought that they could/should be.

At the end of the weekend, the only things accomplished were the front/rear compressor brackets, and pulleys.

Thanks go to 83StreetMachine, for the brackets and pulleys that I purchased from him.

Pic at end of Saturday night.
20210612_204133.jpg

Sunday night.
20210613_191244.jpg

Need correct belts. Will have to rotate valve cover, and get stock VC bolts.

Watched my wife put some more vinyl on my car. Not done yet but getting there.
We wanna see too, hahaha

Took the Monte to a local show called Draggin Steel which I think would have been cool to stay at since they had some different stuff showing up, but after I saw how small the lot was compared to a show they were having somewhere else I decided to head to that one. Turned out to be a good decision, 50 or so cars to maybe 300 plus lots of eye candy. Decided to get a pic on the way home, was going to get more but wanted to beat the rain. Good thing I was sure I got home before because there was flooding everywhere here yesterday
20210613_164551.jpg
20210613_161608.jpg

Forgot that I was able to get the radio working fully again, now have to work out why the top one keeps going to the wrong time and back to metric. And before you say it they are wired together so can't be something with the wiring/memory
20210611_141902.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor