What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did more monte work today. We removed the very cracked dash pad (do people every buy these to fix up and recover?) so we could install a nice one. Inside the dash was a WAAAAAY bigger mess than I ever expected it might be I cut at least 30 zip ties of varying styles, found remnants of 2 alarm systems, and even found some 1/0 cable running around so at some point someone put some time into a stereo in this car.

So we didn't do the new dash install, and, instead removed the various wiring harnesses. Re-installed a clean front headlight harness, laid out the interior harnesses so the pw/pdl auxiliary harness and power trunk popper can get integrated before install. Also found an interesting 'inner city savannah'solution they use to having a circuit keep blowing fuses in the panel, I'll post that in the morning because I don't have it handy and svengoolie is now on.

Interesting about your redoing the harnesses. I’m currently taking all my interior out also and would love to replace all the wiring harnesses on the car. Hutch has started working on his also so I’m hoping to learn some tips from him too, he’s got a lot of good info.

Reactions: 83MonteCarloSS
No but they do get put up for sale like they're worth something close to a price to rival OPGI's new (but seems never in stock) ones.
Good to know. With the square body trucks I usually throw the cracked dashes out there for $20 and people buy them to have something to build off of while keeping their truck intact, almost a core value of sorts. Knowing that these are more involved in covering, I didn't think it would work the same but figured I'd ask before I trash it
Interesting about your redoing the harnesses. I’m currently taking all my interior out also and would love to replace all the wiring harnesses on the car. Hutch has started working on his also so I’m hoping to learn some tips from him too, he’s got a lot of good info.
I doubt I will rehab this harness. I think it will become parts/donor material. I have some good dash harnesses that can be installed and work, but, will probably move over the power door/window stuff.

Back in the day GM used to sell the trunk popper as a stand alone kit so it should be fairly easy to extract before the rest hits the bin.

Got out for a little drive before the rain comes in.

20230129_121454.jpg

flushed some nasty coolant from the system. went from medium brown to mostly clear while running the garden hose. not positive but based on the exhaust smoke I may have a blown head gasket. I'm pretty sure the valve seals are gone. now I'm thinking I'm going to eventually swap the engine so no point on working on it. so I started working on the flood Elkie instead.
got two of the body bolts out (front driver, psgr sill), while the other two started spinning on me (front psgr, driver sill). as soon as I get those out, the front half of the cab comes off (already discon'd parking brake and master cylinder). once the cab is off, gonna tilt it up to get easier access to underneath to remove other parts like exhaust, lines, gas tank, etc.

1675046947338.png

How are you liking the solid mounts so far?
Car drives good. Only thing negative they did was move the rear end noise, other than that it's solid.

Changed the oil and spark plugs. 31,000 miles on these plugs running most;y 91 octane no ethanol. Getting between 13-14mpg with the qjet. Little ashy i guess but ive had to run the cheap sh*t a few times recently.
Also it hurt my soul but I had to slice some meat out of my alternator bracket to get some adjustment back. The CS144 has a different case shape than the 12si i had so it would only take a 47" belt and would barely get tight enough to not slip.
1357.jpg
2468.jpg
ope.jpg

Also it hurt my soul but I had to slice some meat out of my alternator bracket to get some adjustment back. The CS144 has a different case shape than the 12si i had so it would only take a 47" belt and would barely get tight enough to not slip.
View attachment 215229
Is this a stock GM serpentine setup? I had been wondering if I'd have to trim some of that bracket because of the alternator upgrade. Good to see someone has done it already and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor