What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a stock GM serpentine setup? I had been wondering if I'd have to trim some of that bracket because of the alternator upgrade. Good to see someone has done it already and it works.
nope. 1971 buick stuff. the case is definately a bit bulkier tho so dont expect it to be a 110% drop in affair.

Reactions: 1 users
Installed new center link/tie rods n sleeves. steering is a biiiit tighter and feels a biiiiit more responsive.

Reactions: 4 users
Also did a quick and dirty tape measure alignment. Drove it 45 minutes on the highway to work and looked at the tires just now, no evident signs of any scuffing or scrubbing and it doesn't pull or dart any way at all so I'd say it's good enough. 👍

Also did a quick and dirty tape measure alignment. Drove it 45 minutes on the highway to work and looked at the tires just now, no evident signs of any scuffing or scrubbing and it doesn't pull or dart any way at all so I'd say it's good enough. 👍

What you did has no way of making the car pull left or right. What'd you measure to? If the tire has the right kind of grooves, you can use those. If not, you can use toe plates on the outside of the tire or a suitable alternative that's good and straight.

Reactions: 1 user
What you did has no way of making the car pull left or right. What'd you measure to? If the tire has the right kind of grooves, you can use those. If not, you can use toe plates on the outside of the tire or a suitable alternative that's good and straight.
I'd be willing to bet if one tire was like
| and the other was like / it'd pull.
Point was, it drives the same as before, minus the steering slop, so it's good enough for now.

I'd be willing to bet if one tire was like
| and the other was like / it'd pull.
Point was, it drives the same as before, minus the steering slop, so it's good enough for now.

You didn't answer the question though. You can get it bang on with a tape measure. And the wheels will center themselves, so in your example above that toe out would be split evenly between the 2 tires. While toe out will make the car darty, it WON'T make it inherently pull one way or the other.

You didn't answer the question though. You can get it bang on with a tape measure. And the wheels will center themselves, so in your example above that toe out would be split evenly between the 2 tires. While toe out will make the car darty, it WON'T make it inherently pull one way or the other.
I used the lip of the wheel where the weights are. It's around 1/8 toe in compared to the back. Close enough until I get a proper alignment once I put on new ball joints and new control arm bushings. Then it'll get a proper alignment check. I've had it for 9 years, never had a tire/alignment problem. And the darty comment was mainly referring to the worn steering components.

😡 🤬
IMG_20230202_054748345.jpg

Put the wheels on the ground last night after a full front suspension & steering linkage replacement/rebuild. String alignment is up next. With all stock components except for tall lower ball joints, I'm currently at a degree of positive camber. What do you all think of that? If I can get a DIY alignment that I'm happy with I might just leave it at that. If I have to mess with caster/camber I'll probably take it to a shop.

gp.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor