What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

And one major and primary objective or milestone is now in sight................................

DSCN4356.JPG

DSCN4357.JPG

This was the point of all that work and misery; one only, brand new, and just hung, outer rocker panel. I went with the plug welds as the factory had done. They can be spaced out evenly along the length of the flange and an air driven hole punch makes generating them a lot easier and faster than hand drilling them (been there, done that).

DSCN4359.JPG

Wanted a crisp shot for the close up but the closer I ran the lens the fuzzier things got. Apart from a few samples that actually look professional the balance will get dressed down to surface level. it will make re-installing the threshold and the other components easier when it comes time.

DSCN4360.JPG

Did get a clear close up of how the A Pillar section fits in place and relates to the rocker. If you look closely at the left side edge of the pillar where it curves down and out to line up with the rocker's top face you can just see the flange in the rocker that creates a depressed shoulder that the Pillar edge drops down into. This alignment was one of the things that i had to take into consideration since having that pillar edge sit proud or high would cause the door gap to be excessive and make the hinge alignment a MPITA. At this point, for the Pillar, the next step is to noogie it into as tight and precise a fit as possible and anchor it there with some tacks. After that I can "encourage" the fit make it sit as close as possible. This is, after all, old recycled parts being fit and adapted to an old vehicle, so some massaging of components is inevitable.

DSCN4361.JPG

And another reason for all the cutting and grinding. When I first asked about rocker covers I was shown something called a "cover". All this was, was a short section of stamped metal that fit over the damaged or rotten existing panel to camoflage the damage. it only spanned the distance between the two Pillars and went no farther. This is why.

The outer rocker panel for a G-Body is full length. This is the exposed cavity in the rear quarter panel just ahead of the rear wheel well and, as you can see, the end of the outer rocker panel butts up tight against the inner wheel house. I think that I mentioned earlier that when during repairs to that section of the wheel house I had found the remains of the flanges that are bent into the end of the rocker panel so that they can be plug welded to the wheel house by means of matching holes punched in the house metal. All very much Factory and done on an assemby jig on a production line. In this case what I might do is to create a thin section of body metal in the form of a shim to slip in between the rocker end and the inner face of the wheel house. I can then run in a couple of bridge welds to anchor the outer face of the rocker. It doesn't have to be a solid seam and certainly doesn't have to be pretty; once the new body panel get put in place it all gets hidden away. This isn't some TV show where all the quality of the raw metal finishing has to be displayed and critiqued. Using an interupted pattern of bridging will actually be better as it allows for some flex and movement where a full run seam could make things too rigid and possibly lead to cracks or tears.

So for today, more plug welds and seam work, not even thinking about thinking about the lower edge of the rocker panel...............................................:blam:

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ah. my own personal go to tool for tight spots like that would be my Dremel motor with either a cut off wheel in it or a grinding wheel as alternative. They are inexpensive enough that you can hit the Home Depot and score one for reasonable $$$$. Buy a 5 pack of the cut off wheels and be prepared to break a couple; the steel centres pop free if stressed too heavily. along with the quick change mandrel that they mount to. You should have enough perimeter space around the bolt to get to that tack without injuring the bracket. You could also try using one of the stone grinding tip wheels if the space is too tight for the cut off wheel. If all else fails and you have the space, you could go caveman and try to cut the tack with a chisel and hammer. Use a pair of vice grips to hold the chisel, keeps your fingers away from the hammer and out of harm's way.

Nick

Thank you sir. I will heed your advice and try Tuesday or Wednesday. I have to take a mental break from these cars for now.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor