What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I added to the fleet.

Backstory: Jr. is about to get his Learner's Permit to drive. You're allowed to do that at 15 and a half here in Ohio. The Mrs. and I were talking about what is he going to drive. I was going to start him out in my wagon. Even when he gets his full license, I work from home and am home 90% of the time. So I don't need it a whole lot. But she said, "What about when you DO need it.?" Well I have four other cars but none of them go out in the winter. She was also concerned that the wagon doesn't have airbags, anti-lock brakes, or much metal around him should he get in an accident since most new drivers do at some point.

Basically what she's telling me is to shop for something else.

Wait..... WHAT??!!??!!

We've been together for 20+ years and this is the FIRST time she's ever told me to go out car shopping. It's usually the other way around. I've had to beg and plead and in some cases, just bought anyway and asked for forgiveness later.

OK... don't have to tell me twice. But what to get?

After some serious thought and discussion, I came up with 5 requirements:

1. It had to be affordable

2. It had to have a lot of metal around him.

3. It had to be good in the snow

4. Parts had to be easy to come by in the event he does bang up a fender or a door or a header panel.

5. And this is where Jr. is a lot like me. He'd like something a little different than the norm. He likes that when people see my cars on the road, even the daily drivers and beaters, everybody knows it's me.

So, after about 4-6 weeks of looking, I came up with a vehicle that satisfies all of those requirements: a 2010 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. It has the 4.6 Modular Motor, overdrive trans, locking 3:27 rear axle, and it came with the alloy wheels that are on it now along with the original Cop Car steelies and "dog dish" hubcaps. It has 112,000 miles and we liked that it was all black instead of all white.

The seller was a Police Officer himself, and this car came from the department he was with. So he knew its whole history, that it was never wrecked and he got all the maintenance records with it.

I had a similar car about 15 years ago as a winter beater and the locking rear was an absolute beast in the snow, even without snow tires.

We're gonna give it a once over and change all the fluids, hoses, serpentine belt, filters, wipers, and mount the freebie snow tires I got from a buddy on the steelie wheels for the winter. I have a few things to tend to like an airbag warning light, a finicky starter, and a few lights out on the dash. The interior lights are currently in "Dark Mode" and I'm trying to get that sorted out. We're gonna upgrade the stereo and just give the whole thing a quickie clean up. I moved it from the house to the shop today in the heavy snow.

IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3185.JPG

Reactions: 13 users
Nov 4, 2012
I added to the fleet.

Backstory: Jr. is about to get his Learner's Permit to drive. You're allowed to do that at 15 and a half here in Ohio. The Mrs. and I were talking about what is he going to drive. I was going to start him out in my wagon. Even when he gets his full license, I work from home and am home 90% of the time. So I don't need it a whole lot. But she said, "What about when you DO need it.?" Well I have four other cars but none of them go out in the winter. She was also concerned that the wagon doesn't have airbags, anti-lock brakes, or much metal around him should he get in an accident since most new drivers do at some point.

Wait..... WHAT??!!??!!

We've been together for 20+ years and this is the FIRST time she's ever told me to go out car shopping. It's usually the other way around. I've had to beg and plead and in some cases, just bought anyway and asked for forgiveness later.

4. Parts had to be easy to come by in the event he does bang up a fender or a door or a header panel.

5. And this is where Jr. is a lot like me. He'd like something a little different than the norm. He likes that when people see my cars on the road, even the daily drivers and beaters, everybody knows it's me.

So, after about 4-6 weeks of looking, I came up with a vehicle that satisfies all of those requirements: a 2010 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. It has the 4.6 Modular Motor, overdrive trans, locking 3:27 rear axle, and it came with the alloy wheels that are on it now along with the original Cop Car steelies and "dog dish" hubcaps. It has 112,000 miles and we liked that it was all black instead of all white.

The seller was a Police Officer himself, and this car came from the department he was with. So he knew its whole history, that it was never wrecked and he got all the maintenance records with it.

I had a similar car about 15 years ago as a winter beater and the locking rear was an absolute beast in the snow, even without snow tires.

We're gonna give it a once over and change all the fluids, hoses, serpentine belt, filters, wipers, and mount the freebie snow tires I got from a buddy on the steelie wheels for the winter. I have a few things to tend to like an airbag warning light, a finicky starter, and a few lights out on the dash. The interior lights are currently in "Dark Mode" and I'm trying to get that sorted out. We're gonna upgrade the stereo and just give the whole thing a quickie clean up. I moved it from the house to the shop today in the heavy snow.

View attachment 104286 View attachment 104287 View attachment 104288 View attachment 104289

Sweet! I had a Town Car for a year or so in high school and it was a tank. My friends all laughed at it because it looked like an old lady's car with it's blue vinyl top and bench seats. I didn't care because it had a V8, RWD and a limited slip and could do better burnouts and donuts than anything they drove :mrgreen:

Reactions: 4 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
15*C is t-shirt weather. It is -26*C here now... and I was really grateful for my heated garage where I changed the oil in my TBSS and its Procharger, and a rear plate lamp.

Probably because it would have took a full day for the oil to drain when it was that cold.:drool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
went junkyarding last weekend, and spent yesterday changing out the transfer case on the explorer, along with a few other electrical items that have been driving me nuts..... nice feeling to have working 4wd again, along with both working headlights.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sweet! I had a Town Car for a year or so in high school and it was a tank. My friends all laughed at it because it looked like an old lady's car with it's blue vinyl top and bench seats. I didn't care because it had a V8, RWD and a limited slip and could do better burnouts and donuts than anything they drove :mrgreen:
I had a Mark VIII for a while that my friends and family gave me a hard time about (old man mobile). That car was no joke. Lots of car for the $600 I paid for it. It died a heroic death when I found the limitations of the Yokohamas on a twisty road and drove through a power pole. ABS didn't help me out but all that metal and the airbags probably saved my life.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I added to the fleet.

Wait..... WHAT??!!??!!

View attachment 104286 View attachment 104287 View attachment 104288 View attachment 104289
I have been thinking about getting one of those for my next beater. Once you guys start driving it, let us know how you like it? I don't know if I could live with out cruise control on my daily? Can that be added to a police car?

Nov 4, 2012
I had a Mark VIII for a while that my friends and family gave me a hard time about (old man mobile). That car was no joke. Lots of car for the $600 I paid for it. It died a heroic death when I found the limitations of the Yokohamas on a twisty road and drove through a power pole. ABS didn't help me out but all that metal and the airbags probably saved my life.

My boss at my old auto body job had a pearl white 94 Mark VIII. Ironically his also died a pretty spectacular death after hitting black ice and skating across 2 lanes of highway into a Jersey barrier. He walked away unscathed.

I loved that cockpit interior that wraps around the driver and the quad cam 4.6 was ahead of it's time. I still don't understand why the Mark VIIIs sell so cheap, they have RWD, most have limited slip, a sick interior, and a fantastic engine. The exterior design is love it or hate it I guess.

I should sell something and buy one...

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I finally put a door lock in the square body and found out it was to dam cold to do anything else

• Haha

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
My boss at my old auto body job had a pearl white 94 Mark VIII. Ironically his also died a pretty spectacular death after hitting black ice and skating across 2 lanes of highway into a Jersey barrier. He walked away unscathed.

I loved that cockpit interior that wraps around the driver and the quad cam 4.6 was ahead of it's time. I still don't understand why the Mark VIIIs sell so cheap, they have RWD, most have limited slip, a sick interior, and a fantastic engine. The exterior design is love it or hate it I guess.

I should sell something and buy one...
I used to have a Mark VIII LSC - The consensus is that the transmission was the weak point with those cars. I was lucky and had no issues with the transmission on mine before I sold it, but the air ride system was a money pit and the parts were nearly impossible to find to repair it. That being said, I would have loved to grab that 4-valve engine and slap it in a short bed F-150.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor