What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
IF it becomes an issue. 12v bilge pump from PA does the trick. BIL in Calgary ( cdn desert ) has his garden beds lined up with a small weeping tile he made from PVC. Rain water off the roof, hits the rain barrel. Once it reaches the overflow it runs in to the weeping tile and waters his garden. He also has the bilge pump on a timer to pump water from the barrel to the gardens every day at 5am as he is leaving for work. If the barrel runs dry the bilge pump turns off. Those germans really like to make a simple situation of watering your garden complex ROFL !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
So at some time during the quarantine I opened my big mouth and suggested the Mrs. get a rain barrel for her new adventures in gardening. Well that sumb*tch showed up last week... and well unless we put a pump on it there is no way the water is going to magically rise from the ground into the garden.

So in the face of a pressure treated lumber shortage (because every MFer is building a COVID deck right now) we managed to get our mitts on some 2x4s. And I built a stand for the water buffalo.

View attachment 152544 View attachment 152545

I am not a carpenter by any means, but not bad for a sawzall with a wrecking blade and the wife's 18V Borscht.

I can live inside it the next time I piss her off.
Your rain barrel stand looks good and sturdy. It should handle a 450 pound barrel of water easily. Before you set it in place, pour a small concrete pad to support it, and to avoid sinking into the ground and tipping. If you are going to use a 55 gallon barrel, you will soon find that the water doesn't last very long. I have four 275 gallon cubes that run dry if I am actively gardening. This is a double stacked set-up that I created. My other two cubes are single set-ups.
ReRain_2014 01 21_0003.JPG

The down spout was redirected to the 6 to 2 inch reducer, which expands again to 6 inches. the lower 6 inch is where the first flush of dirty roof water goes. I have an empty Gaterade bottle inside that rises to the 2 inch neck to keep the dirty water from the cleaner water, which flows across and down into the cubes. the lower cube has a vent hose that connects to the overflow pipe just above the upper cube inlet. If we get a deluge that fills faster than the vent escapes, there is a 2 inch overflow routed into the original down spout drain. Not shown is the hose bib outlet glued in place later, and the clean-out for the 6 inch pipe on the other side of the stack.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Your rain barrel stand looks good and sturdy. It should handle a 450 pound barrel of water easily. Before you set it in place, pour a small concrete pad to support it, and to avoid sinking into the ground and tipping. If you are going to use a 55 gallon barrel, you will soon find that the water doesn't last very long. I have four 275 gallon cubes that run dry if I am actively gardening. This is a double stacked set-up that I created. My other two cubes are single set-ups. View attachment 152598
The down spout was redirected to the 6 to 2 inch reducer, which expands again to 6 inches. the lower 6 inch is where the first flush of dirty roof water goes. I have an empty Gaterade bottle inside that rises to the 2 inch neck to keep the dirty water from the cleaner water, which flows across and down into the cubes. the lower cube has a vent hose that connects to the overflow pipe just above the upper cube inlet. If we get a deluge that fills faster than the vent escapes, there is a 2 inch overflow routed into the original down spout drain. Not shown is the hose bib outlet glued in place later, and the clean-out for the 6 inch pipe on the other side of the stack.

That's quite the set-up!

• Agree

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
That's quite the set-up!
I've been collecting rain water since about 1994 or '95. I started with a couple of 55 gallon barrels, and found that they were not enough. I acquired three 275 gallon cubes that I connected side by side for my first large installation. They worked well for several years until we had a hard freeze that broke one of the small hose bib pipes. I built this double stacked set-up when I was laid-off late 2013-early 2014, thinking that I might try to start my own business setting up systems like this, but before I got most of my business licenses and permits, I got called back to my regular job.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
As busy as the family has been keeping me lately I managed to get a little work done on my blasting rig. I finally set up the blast lines and the dead man then I got back to work on the compressor. It's very loud so I removed the covers that allow access to the area in front of the radiator. I've been soaking the bolts/screws so most of them came out with an impact driver. 2 got the grinder. Most of the exhaust looks like stainless but the muffler not so much.
KIMG1159.JPG

I've had a replacement for some time now so I dug in, literally. There was about 3" of what seemed to be oil soaked mulch in there so I removed as much as I could with my hands and a flat shovel. I didn't get the new one installed because I was short on time and supposed to go on a boat ride for the wife's birthday at 2:00 well I flew home showered off the oil mulch put them in the car drove to point pleasant and we watched the boat leave without us! I tried to make it up to her with outdoor dining at a great seafood restaurant but it's her job to hate me so it didn't work. I figure I'll go to work early every day this week and stay late to stay out of her sight

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
sometime you cannot help but to try even though it fails sometimes. I think they call it marriage. Why we humans do it really baffles me sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
As busy as the family has been keeping me lately I managed to get a little work done on my blasting rig. I finally set up the blast lines and the dead man then I got back to work on the compressor. It's very loud so I removed the covers that allow access to the area in front of the radiator. I've been soaking the bolts/screws so most of them came out with an impact driver. 2 got the grinder. Most of the exhaust looks like stainless but the muffler not so much.
View attachment 153011
I've had a replacement for some time now so I dug in, literally. There was about 3" of what seemed to be oil soaked mulch in there so I removed as much as I could with my hands and a flat shovel. I didn't get the new one installed because I was short on time and supposed to go on a boat ride for the wife's birthday at 2:00 well I flew home showered off the oil mulch put them in the car drove to point pleasant and we watched the boat leave without us! I tried to make it up to her with outdoor dining at a great seafood restaurant but it's her job to hate me so it didn't work. I figure I'll go to work early every day this week and stay late to stay out of her sight
Thats why I ALWAYS say "it's a surprise" when asked what we're doing/where we're going. If I screw up and need a plan b... or sometimes plan f, she isn't the wiser.

Happy wife, ok life. Pissed off wife, prison life.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
sometime you cannot help but to try even though it fails sometimes. I think they call it marriage. Why we humans do it really baffles me sometimes.
You know what they say, if it floats, flys, or f***s, it's cheaper to rent than buy...

However, that also doesn't account for that modern construct - CHILD SUPPORT. Waaay cheaper to marry than get sucked down that drain.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Swapped out the crap two piece driveshaft for a giant aluminum one in the Duramax. All nice and smooth, also no lame carrier bearing to fail in a month.
IMG_20200708_134025648.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor