What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For anyone wondering what just happened, this is the picture that was supposed to lead off the montage that I tried to create above. The caption is there, but the picture itself disappeared during the loading process. So, if at first you don't succeed, throw things at the medium and try to redo the message over again. And away we go.............................

For those who like pictures, what you see here is the new cab corner for my 03 S-10 with a thin layer of spot putty applied over the filler material. The purpose of this is simply to catch and fill all the scratches and minor low spots that the eyes miss but the fingers find. Most, about 95% of what you see here will get sanded off, starting with 180 production and finishing it off with 240 wet-n-dry used dry.

DSCN2606.JPG

And this is what you get when it is all sanded out and the first coat of primer filler is laid down. The seeming light spot is actually a reflection of one of my LED work lights. Great units, solid state means they can get knocked over or subjected to a rain of sparks and still do their thing. I will let this coat dry over night due to less than optimal temperatures and throw a second coat at it tomorrow. Once that is dry, they both get sanded down using a block and then a third coat gets shot and finally primer sealer before the color shot.

DSCN2611.JPG

Since this shot got taken, a second coat of primer was shot and allowed to dry and then both coats got sanded down. This sanding revealed one or two spots where a little remedial work had to occur. Nothing major, an edge that hadn't feathered completely and a couple of tiny crevasses that needed touching up. This all got done and then 4 more coats of primer were shot, I am not shooting heavy, the shop heat has not been turned on yet, so flash time is longer than otherwise would be the case. With the cooler air, you have to wait a little longer for the primer to flash, or tweak the mix if you are shooting gun. All these new shots were light with multiple repetitions. They will get to dry overnight and then back to sanding. The first time the paper was 240 dry; this time it might be 240 again or maybe 320, dry. The 320 gives up a finer surface but clogs faster so a lot of paper gets used. If what results is acceptable then the next coat will be primer/sealer and after that, the money shot, color.

Oh, yeah, today's other non-g project was stripping the second of the 47 tanks. No pictures for that one. The paint came off easily with the DA, but what appeared from beneath it was not encouraging. This particular tank and its mate had serious dings when I acquired them and the filler of choice back was a catalyzed aluminum product for which the catalyst is no longer available, Toxic, much? Anyway, with no other ready means of pulling the curves back into position, the dings got filled. This time around, my Christmas present to me might be a pin gun and puller. Use the tank as a guinea pig to see if I can get the dent to come back to normal.

Nick

Reactions: 4 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Dropped two 400 cases off for a local guy who does transmissions for the older crowd he’s 70 years old and still has a solid following of older racers
Toms and I are one for one this year I got him the first time we met in the lanes
The 2nd time he showed me no mercy with a .000 light And to seal the deal he gave me a whomp of the throttle at the strip to let me know my day was over
Nice guy
B521E84B-D741-45B0-8429-930455DE7468.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Too bad he's in Pennsy. I have a BOP version of the 400 sitting on the cart that needs some love. Oil is good but it sat in a lean to because the owner, a neighbour, raced Pontiacs but used clutch and manuals. The front pump and input shaft look pretty nasty and the splines are close to being toast just from neglect. At a guess, it would need a new or rebuilt front pump and shaft assembly and someone with the right tools to pop the old unit out without damaging the case.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Welded more stuff. I didn’t have the time, nor materials to do this the way I wanted, but it should work for now. Another crack had formed right in front of the torsion bar crossmember, thankfully it was only partial, but this is due to rust. I have had it repaired in the past:
View attachment 156604
View attachment 156605
I tried to weld some of the crack back together, and was just shotgunning the frame apart. Made a few pieces out of some 1 inch wide stock since I only had that and the 4 inch piece I used yesterday.
View attachment 156606
First two pieces welded in:
View attachment 156608
And the last two welded in:
View attachment 156609
View attachment 156610
Don’t have any pictures, but this got the same treatment as the passenger side, VHT and Fluid Film snot. Took a bit of time to spray inside the frame and the cab mount brackets.
I think we both know a guy who could get a cab cut off a better frame like it was butter & he said he's off to get more of those Harbor Freight blades...:banana:

• Haha
  • Agree

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I think we both know a guy who could get a cab cut off a better frame like it was butter & he said he's off to get more of those Harbor Freight blades...:banana:
Don’t you tempt me to start the prerunner build before I’ve finished the Monte....
54EECCB8-F970-42CD-8D7C-A741A5BC590B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Made the most of the holiday weekend and did cars things pretty much all weekend, luckily the GTO has been old reliable since the Monte is acting a fool. I think I went to 5 different car events this weekend, the one I was the most surpised with was the 9/11 memorial cruise. The first part of the ride probably had close to 300 cars
20200907_200409.jpg
20200907_200557.jpg
20200905_175711.jpg
20200905_175819.jpg
20200905_175616.jpg
20200905_175945.jpg
20200905_175858.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Got some more goodies for the Blazer, motor mounts and front caliper kit to mount those CTS-V calipers
20200909_115554.jpg
20200909_115322.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor