What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Undercoat is better than no undercoat, but, it's not a silver bullet for rust.

Realistically you need to spray it before the car gets driven around to keep dirt out from underneath. Spots get missed. Coating cracks over time and allows rust to fester and rot behind the rubberized coating. Not everything can be sprayed if you want to work on it decently. You need to drill holes and add plugs in the body which hold up OK in door jambs but can come out underneath. So on so forth.

Then consider the mess. Gets even worse with coatings like fluid film that wear off.
Agreed. My Bonneville is in mint shape despite being driven in the winter for over 2 decades, the only stuff that rusted was the floors due to salt from the inside, and a part of the frame near the steering box which the undercoat had missed.

So it’s definitely not foolproof for sure, but to me people exaggerate southern cars being better than northern ones. Really depends on how the car was maintained and driven imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
joesregalproject is a chainsaw enthusiast, to put it mildly.

I may own a saw or 12....

Oh I've got buddies like that lol I have the few I have tuned up incase of hurricane cleanup here where I live in Florida, what I have should work well. I know people who are in competitions with them.

I've gone to some get togethers and put a number of saws together. Are you on any of the chainsaw forums? The MS362 and MS261 are great saws. Do you have any ported saws?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Been stripping the varnish / stain of this old antique bed for my youngest. She has been in the same Daybed since she moved on from her crib. lol

We've been working on it a few nights this past week, yesterday morning and I started at 6:30 this morning. My wife and daughter came out a while later to help finish the prep work. We had it ready for stain around lunch time. I used my cheapie HVLP gun to spray MinWax Polyshade gloss Mission Oak. Came out pretty well....

IMG_2276.jpeg IMG_2277.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've gone to some get togethers and put a number of saws together. Are you on any of the chainsaw forums? The MS362 and MS261 are great saws. Do you have any ported saws?
None of the forums, I am in one facebook group and it's literally boomers, if you don't have something older than 1990 they don't care. I have the two there as the newer MKII Models but they are still Carb and not M-Tronic, too fancy for them. I haven't done any of them with actual porting out of the intake and exhaust ports on the piston, cylinder and head. Haven't dove that far into it. Just muffler mods to about 70% of the exhaust port size and carb dialed in to match that. I've been in the hobby of it for a little bit, cheaper than cars. I've traded enough around where I'm not much invested into what I have here.

Yea them two pro saws run amazing, light and tons of power. The 261 works great for limbing, why I keep the green chain on it. That and my woman can use it if she needs to. The 362 with a yellow chain for the bigger diameter stuff and dropping trees. That shreds for what it is.

Then I have this pig, MS391 with a 25" yellow bar & chain, modded as well. Got it cheap and it's been pretty damn good.

MS391.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
None of the forums, I am in one facebook group and it's literally boomers, if you don't have something older than 1990 they don't care. I have the two there as the newer MKII Models but they are still Carb and not M-Tronic, too fancy for them. I haven't done any of them with actual porting out of the intake and exhaust ports on the piston, cylinder and head. Haven't dove that far into it. Just muffler mods to about 70% of the exhaust port size and carb dialed in to match that. I've been in the hobby of it for a little bit, cheaper than cars. I've traded enough around where I'm not much invested into what I have here.

Yea them two pro saws run amazing, light and tons of power. The 261 works great for limbing, why I keep the green chain on it. That and my woman can use it if she needs to. The 362 with a yellow chain for the bigger diameter stuff and dropping trees. That shreds for what it is.

Then I have this pig, MS391 with a 25" yellow bar & chain, modded as well. Got it cheap and it's been pretty damn good.

View attachment 185324

I've got a lot of Huskys and Stihls, some Dolmars. My Husqvarna 262xp, my Husqvarna 359 and my Dolmar 5105 are all ported. I've got a 562xp, an MS461, and an 066 that are all waiting for port work.

For chain I ran Stihl RS for a long time, but I've switched to Oregon EXL for the most part. It files a bit easier and it's a lot cheaper. I've also been using some 72CL square ground chain and that stuff is crazy fast.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Nice. I don't do as much with mine as others, just keep them running and handy incase. I may dive into one at some point and try porting, see the results. Next saw if I find one is a MS461 or the MS462, a manual carb version of that is a unicorn.

Nov 4, 2012
Nice. I don't do as much with mine as others, just keep them running and handy incase. I may dive into one at some point and try porting, see the results. Next saw if I find one is a MS461 or the MS462, a manual carb version of that is a unicorn.

The 461 is an absolute monster. Its a bit heavy but it cuts like a lightsaber through whatever. I have limited experience with the 462s but I imagine they are just as good.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not into chainsaws but did spend some time on the sales counter at a local marine repair shop in my misspent youth and we sold parts for just about anything that could be classified as a small motor. The boss bought Oregon Chain in bulk on bobbins and we made saw chains to spec for customers. Nasty stuff to work with; easy to get nicked or slashed, vary sharp. Most of the back room crew were Finns, that is Finnish. Spoke the language and had the accent. Knew their stuff. Think the old owner is either dead or in a home somwhere. The kids took over when he retired but the mother had issues and debts............

Paid a visit to the yard this AM to pick up a fuse block upper housing/shell for my 5.3 project. Had already scored one but it turned out to be damaged; torn along one of the seams/edges. The rip is fixable and that might happen but the replacement is a direct match to the lower body-came from the same hulk so they have played together before.

Had Junior advise me that he had had another S-10 come in as a pick up. Turned out to be a dark green LS Extended Cab with the stepside box and a bunch of baubles and trinkets hung off it. Driver's side jump door is junk; totally trashed and rotten.

Took a quick peek in the box and discovered that the previous owner had being using it for a diaper disposal container!! Junior was chuckling about it when I mentioned the fact and noted that what was in there was these huge plastic sausage shaped tubes loaded with itty-bitty-shi**ies. Apparently they are some kind of econo-bulk sleeve that can be filled and then put out for pick up on trash day, only this dude never bothered. Good thing it was cold out and the plastic was thick, elsewise the stench would have been horrific.

Took a pass on that one. it is not going to get stripped for a while yet. There are a few cosmetic items on the cab that I might harvest but I aleady have doors and a spare hood and fender and inners so not looking to add to my inventory in that respect for now. The frame, on the other hand, if it ever got that far torn down, might be something to think about. S-10 chassises are popular as replacements with the hot rodder crowd and it might make a good flip to someone looking to upgrade their running gear. Decisions, decisions.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor