CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3519.JPG

DSCN3521.JPG

DSCN3522.JPG

So a page or two back I believe that I mentioned the ongoing search for a bearing end-play/preload setting fixture that I had fabricated as much as 20-25 years ago and now could not find. While I am still keeping my eyes open for it, I also decided not to wait for good fortune and serendipidity to kick in and that it wouid likely be easier to manufacture a new one.

For the deck material, I chose, like I did with its predecessor, to use 1/4 inch flat plate. I was able to source a section that was, 4 inches wide and 17 inches long. Clipping a 3 inch long piece from that will give me a final length of 14 inches for the base and 3 inches for the tab/ear that will be attached to the base to allow me to mount it in a vise.

What you see in the pictures above is the base, sitting in the drilling clamps on my press. At this point all the mill scale and foundry debris has been ground away from both sided of the plate and this, the side or surface that will be visible, has been treated to a cross-hatched finish that removed most of the grinding marks left from the descaling process.

At present, the bore for the bearing spindle to be fitted sits at 5/8ths inch. The final bore for the spindle will be 47/64ths, which is a very close match in diameter to that of the spindle itself. Technically, the hole being cut ought to measure .7500 as the spindle will be made from 3/4 all thread. However, a quick diameter check of the all-thread showed that, while it accepted a 3/4 hex nut, and was rated as being 3/4 in diameter, it was physically produced a few thousandths under size; most likely for ease of insertion into a hole, or for threading. Since a 47/64 HSS, 1/2 inch shank drill bit is, as of right now, not an item in my tool inventory, I have to wait until my supplier brings one in for me. So the whole thing can just sit in the clamps for now.

When done, this device will be my Mark One, Mod One version, as opposed to its Mod Zero predecessor, simply because with the first one the foundry scale finish was left untouched and the mounting ear was mechanically attached by drilling it for tapped holes and using socket cap screws to create a mechanical connection. This one will display a nicer, cleaner, more professional finish and have the ear welded in place; a faster simpler process that takes less time and offers a more permanent connection.

DSCN3527.JPG
DSCN3525.JPG

DSCN3529.JPG

DSCN3530.JPG

So this nasty looking lump is actually my solution to how to properly mount the evaporative charcoal canister in my G-10. The back story on this is that I had had to remove the can due to needing to use its hardline for the return line to the tank for my FI TEch TBI system. That work around, suggested by FI Tech as part of their installation instructions, was never a good idea and led to all kinds of venting issues for the tank itself. Just another nail in the coffin of why I am not a fan of the FI TEch TBI injection units.

Since the TBI system is now an ex-system, that is it has ceased to be, and an AVS carb now rules in its place, I can once more re-plumb the evap tank so it can do its job again. Problem for me was that 40+ years of time and age have rendered mounting brackets for 1980 GM vehicles, apart from C-series trucks, pretty thin on the ground. I was able to scare up some newer versions but none of them really would fit or could be mounted in the existing location easily, so a Plan B had to be made.

Plan B, as you see above, was to take the bracket that most closely matched what I needed and modify its mounting channel to fit the pocket in the fire wall. In one of the pictures you can see the original mounting channel that I cut away using a hack saw. The issue with it was that it tapered from end to end and that would put the bracket on an angle once bolted to the radiator cradle. The mounting pocket on the cradle was equally deep from top to bottom so the height of matching channel had to be equal from end to end as well.
]
For the new channel, i was able to harvest a section of channel shaped sheet metal from a brace that used to be part of a sliding van door. Hey!, waste not want not, and the general shape matched what I needed. I did have to trim and spread the ears out a little but that is what fabrication for old stuff is mostly all about.

I make no apologies for the welding. Both pieces did get ground free of paint and rust as much as possible, but the basic material wasn't much thicker than 19 gauge and has gotten thinner over its life and wear. The first tacks were run at a 22 gauge settiong on the MIg but that proved too cold and I ended up using the 20 gauge setting instead. They still look ugly and bubbly; way too much contaminated metal even after using a grrinder on it but about par for the course. This is not a structural component and it will be mostly invisible once set in place and bolted down.

The plan B, part two, is to now dress all the tacks down to make them and the seam they will become, as smooth as possible on both sides and then figure out where the holes for the bolts should go. I may have to tack in a couple of nuts on the bottom of the channel or go the other way and mount them on the cradle pocket and run the bolts in from the engine side. The second way would make removal in the future a whole lot simpler as it would avoid having to remove the grille and associated bits to gain access.

Today is something of an R&R day as most of all this was done yesterday and outside the garage for the sake of space to maneuver. You don't notice the cold when you are active but your body sets a price to pay when you get back inside and warm.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My Jeep 4.0 idler pulley bearing was howling when it got near freezing outside. As it got hot it quieted down. The bearings get hot, grease melts, no noise. But I needed to fix it. The Mopar 4792112AE idler pulley is discontinued and those that have it are asking a lot. Then I read about just changing out the bearing itself. The bearing in my pulley was a CG-425 which interchanges with a very common 6203-2RS. But I needed this done fast and I was not willing to wait for it to arrive in the mail. I then read about a way to just open the bearing, clean it, and grease it. The seal is just a thin rubber coated metal shim so I opened it with a sharp knife, and sure enough the grease inside was old and crusty. I opened both sides and I am glad I did. The second side was worse than the first. I cleaned it out with some gasoline then a blast of carburetor cleaner. The ball bearings were smooth and not damaged. I refilled the bearing with high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease. Make sure to flatten the seal so it goes back in place. The seal slips into a little groove in the bearing housing. A screwdriver got it back into position easily. I put the pulley back on and tested it. QUIET! If your pulley is wobbly then the bearings are probably shot and this would not work for you. Mine was just starting to howl so I think I caught it in time. It is working great and the cost was $0. Before and after shots: notice where the knife slipped. Very soft/fragile- be careful. IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My Jeep 4.0 idler pulley bearing was howling when it got near freezing outside. As it got hot it quieted down. The bearings get hot, grease melts, no noise. But I needed to fix it. The Mopar 4792112AE idler pulley is discontinued and those that have it are asking a lot. Then I read about just changing out the bearing itself. The bearing in my pulley was a CG-425 which interchanges with a very common 6203-2RS. But I needed this done fast and I was not willing to wait for it to arrive in the mail. I then read about a way to just open the bearing, clean it, and grease it. The seal is just a thin rubber coated metal shim so I opened it with a sharp knife, and sure enough the grease inside was old and crusty. I opened both sides and I am glad I did. The second side was worse than the first. I cleaned it out with some gasoline then a blast of carburetor cleaner. The ball bearings were smooth and not damaged. I refilled the bearing with high temp disc brake grease. Make sure to flatten the seal so it goes back in place. The seal slips into a little groove in the bearing housing. A screwdriver got it back into position easily. I put the pulley back on and tested it. QUIET! If your pulley is wobbly then the bearings are probably shot and this would not work for you. Mine was just starting to howl so I think I caught it in time. It is working great and the cost was $0. Before and after shots: notice where the knife slipped. Very soft/fragile- be careful. View attachment 211705 View attachment 211706

I first did this with snowmobile idler wheels eons ago. Works great if you catch it in time.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Worked on three watches today. Pulled apart the one with removed hands after I installed them because the hour hand was riding high, small correction(it was bent) and all was good. Next up was a battery change on an older Wenger the wife had bought for me and last was to pull apart a Tag chronograph to reset the hands from a movement swap. Need to clean house on the watch collection, sitting around 25 or so....

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
My Jeep 4.0 idler pulley bearing was howling when it got near freezing outside. As it got hot it quieted down. The bearings get hot, grease melts, no noise. But I needed to fix it. The Mopar 4792112AE idler pulley is discontinued and those that have it are asking a lot. Then I read about just changing out the bearing itself. The bearing in my pulley was a CG-425 which interchanges with a very common 6203-2RS. But I needed this done fast and I was not willing to wait for it to arrive in the mail. I then read about a way to just open the bearing, clean it, and grease it. The seal is just a thin rubber coated metal shim so I opened it with a sharp knife, and sure enough the grease inside was old and crusty. I opened both sides and I am glad I did. The second side was worse than the first. I cleaned it out with some gasoline then a blast of carburetor cleaner. The ball bearings were smooth and not damaged. I refilled the bearing with high temp disc brake grease. Make sure to flatten the seal so it goes back in place. The seal slips into a little groove in the bearing housing. A screwdriver got it back into position easily. I put the pulley back on and tested it. QUIET! If your pulley is wobbly then the bearings are probably shot and this would not work for you. Mine was just starting to howl so I think I caught it in time. It is working great and the cost was $0. Before and after shots: notice where the knife slipped. Very soft/fragile- be careful. View attachment 211705 View attachment 211706

6203 bearings are used in a lot of chainsaws for the flywheel side bearing.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Changed the oil and installed a new muffler on my girlfriend's 07 3.5 impala.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

Idler pullies suck and are a major weak link in serpentine belt setups. A good setup should only have one idler pulley for the tensor.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3530.JPG

So just as a reminder, this is what I started with when I elected to create a clamping bracket for the evap canister on my G-10. At this point I had finished the actual welding but the metal had not been all that cooperative due to age and rust and general contamination that could not be thoroughly eliminated.

DSCN3531.JPG

DSCN3534.JPG

DSCN3536.JPG

And these are just a couple of shots from various angles of what I ended up with after a lot of finishing work. Dr. Emel was an invaluable assistant during the process and accounted for most of the rough/coarse shaping and weld reduction. A combination of sanding discs and drums produced the final curves and contours. There is a little bit of nit-picking to do in some of the tight corners but at this point I may bypass all that and go right to a coat or two of primer filler just to see what I get.

I also still have to locate and drill the two new mounting holes in the new mounting bracket as well as their matching holes in the rad cradle. No hurry on the rad aspect, it has started to cool down again and this time the next warmup might have the month of April or May attached to it.

For the keen eyed, in the back ground of the first shot in this sequence you can see the two shouldered nuts that I machined for the bearing fixture. Still waiting on the drill bit and that may be awhile. It has to come from somewhere but where that somewhere is, is something else.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Bought three watches this week, one was a project that PO removed hands and then broke the second hand pinion off. Those count as projects? :LOL:
Now theres an idea for another new thread much more my style than the chainsaw or mower threads......

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor