What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Flushed the brakes on my niece's 2013 Impala. I recently bought a pneumatic bleeder kit from "that jungle website". Guys, if you don't have one, get one of these, so long as you have a decent capacity air compressor. This made the project so fast and easy. Here is the kit I bought:

For the money, I'll never be without one again. The hardest part of the project was getting the car up on stands. There isn't much to these cars, especially in the back so getting it on stands is a small pain. I ended up with the jack stands ahead of the rear tires and of course the calipers were on the leading side of the rear wheel centerline so I just ended up pulling the rear wheels/tires for the job. Since we all love pics and pics or it didn't happen....

12-30-22_01.jpg

12-30-22_03.jpg

12-30-22_05.jpg

We've given the car a fair amount of attention over the winter break. We recently replaced all of the cooling system/heater hoses, the belt, the tensioner and the idler. I've also done a little looking in on the electronics with the scanner. It had a few DTC's in the electronic brake control module. I was looking because for some time, the car would display "TRACTION CONTROL OFF" each time you started it. It doesn't do that now. Hopefully those codes don't come back but I'll be watching. This car was my Mom's when she passed away in early 2019. I sold my half to my brother and it became my niece's car.

I gave my niece new GM headlight assemblies for Christmas. They are installed in the picture above. They really helped the car's appearance. The next oil change/tire rotation is 2500 miles away. I think we're going to do rotors and pads then. Other items on the agenda are to change the spark plugs, flush the power steering and have the intake valves and intake ports media blasted. I have a new PCV valve (GM) and am looking into the popular modification of it. The transmission is not due for service. The car has 99,000 miles on it and it was serviced back at 74,000 miles. I recently also gave it a new Wix air filter. I was disappointed to find the Delco filter made in China. The Wix was made in Mexico. I can accept that.

I feel good about the attention we've given the car. I feel like my niece is in a good reliable car. She's in her second year of College at Sam Houston State University and that's about 40 miles from here. We want her to have something reliable out on the highway. I swore off working on these front wheel drive cars a long time ago but it's a good car and I'll do it for her.

I gave my brother a new window motor/regulator assembly for the passenger door on his 02 Sierra for Christmas. I installed it yesterday. No pictures on that. I was by myself and just knocked the job out. The door panel and the regulator/motor assembly is very friendly to work on. I think I did the whole job in an hour and it turned out really nice. The window runs up and down nice and fast, like a new truck. We already did the driver's side sometime back so he has good running windows on both sides now.

I guess that's it for now friends. Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
Worked on my mom's Subaru. The coolant crossover pipe was leaking and to replace the seals you need to remove the intake. Not a hard job, just a lot of stuff to disconnect. The valve cover gaskets were also leaking so I replaced those as well. Subaru valve cover gaskets can be a bit of a pain being a flat 4 since the valve covers are right up against the frame rails but it can be done in the car with the right tools.
20221230_114812.jpg
20221230_123455.jpg

I was pleased to see that even with 120-ish thousand miles on it the engine was spotless inside. There was some carbon buildup inside the intake runners but that is to be expected and there was not enough to be problematic or concerning. Plus the car is port injected so it doesn't matter much anyway. The inside of both heads was super clean as were all of the coolant passages. The old coolant I drained out was so clean it could've been reused.
20221231_154058.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Worked on my mom's Subaru. The coolant crossover pipe was leaking and to replace the seals you need to remove the intake. Not a hard job, just a lot of stuff to disconnect. The valve cover gaskets were also leaking so I replaced those as well. Subaru valve cover gaskets can be a bit of a pain being a flat 4 since the valve covers are right up against the frame rails but it can be done in the car with the right tools.
View attachment 213689 View attachment 213690
I was pleased to see that even with 120-ish thousand miles on it the engine was spotless inside. There was some carbon buildup inside the intake runners but that is to be expected and there was not enough to be problematic or concerning. Plus the car is port injected so it doesn't matter much anyway. The inside of both heads was super clean as were all of the coolant passages. The old coolant I drained out was so clean it could've been reused.
View attachment 213692
There is a lot going on in there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My daughter started work at a new job for the Village of [ insert small wrong island town]. Her Jeep was parked in the parking lot- she was at lunch- when the deputy mayor came back from a three martini lunch and slammed full speed into a contractor's van- totaling it [$16,000]. That van was shoved into the Jeep smashing the pass side fender. They wanted to keep it hush- hush and had it towed supposedly to the excellent body shop the Village uses. They put a new fender on and replaced the lower control arm. When she got the Jeep back she said it looked great but 'wasn't right' so I drove it. When you turned left it wanted to keep going left instead of straightening back out. I went to the great shop they supposedly used and wanted to get the alignment printout and they had no record of the Jeep being there. Hmmmmm. WTF?!? I took it to my alignment guy who tested it and agreed something was wrong. Up on the lift and WHOA!!! The pass side inner tie rod was FOOKED! One good pot hole and it would have broken completely. And you could tell an alignment was never done. I told them DO IT and $650 later all 4 tie rods were replaced and a REAL alignment was done. Now it drives great. I gave her the bill and alignment printout to shove up her boss's azzole and let them know she could have been killed by their cheapassedness. It would appear they sent it to a cut-rate shop that did a swell job with the fender but overlooked the busted tie rods and never did an alignment even after the control arm was replaced. At the minimum the fairly new tires would have been ruined, at worst a collision. What a bunch of lowlife scummoes. Aside from that- HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
There is a lot going on in there.

It looks very busy but I think that is mostly because Subaru puts EVERYTHING right on top. With the exception the valve cover area, the engine bay is very roomy and it is really pretty easy to work on.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My daughter started work at a new job for the Village of [ insert small wrong island town]. Her Jeep was parked in the parking lot- she was at lunch- when the deputy mayor came back from a three martini lunch and slammed full speed into a contractor's van- totaling it [$16,000]. That van was shoved into the Jeep smashing the pass side fender. They wanted to keep it hush- hush and had it towed supposedly to the excellent body shop the Village uses. They put a new fender on and replaced the lower control arm. When she got the Jeep back she said it looked great but 'wasn't right' so I drove it. When you turned left it wanted to keep going left instead of straightening back out. I went to the great shop they supposedly used and wanted to get the alignment printout and they had no record of the Jeep being there. Hmmmmm. WTF?!? I took it to my alignment guy who tested it and agreed something was wrong. Up on the lift and WHOA!!! The pass side inner tie rod was FOOKED! One good pot hole and it would have broken completely. And you could tell an alignment was never done. I told them DO IT and $650 later all 4 tie rods were replaced and a REAL alignment was done. Now it drives great. I gave her the bill and alignment printout to shove up her boss's azzole and let them know she could have been killed by their cheapassedness. It would appear they sent it to a cut-rate shop that did a swell job with the fender but overlooked the busted tie rods and never did an alignment even after the control arm was replaced. At the minimum the fairly new tires would have been ruined, at worst a collision. What a bunch of lowlife scummoes. Aside from that- HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
She's lucky to have you looking out for her.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Atleast she didn't get injured. Lawsuit time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor