What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

with row52.com you can also see if there is a local picker who will pull the part for you for a negotiated price
Emailing a yard in Phoenix. Long drive ( need the vacation) but also asking about a bed as I got screwed by a yard in Georgia for a “clean one” I didn’t get to look at. They had “lost it” hmmmm.

All rubber is new. They would hold for a bit but as soon as I start the truck pedal instantly goes to floor. Also the shoes aren't moving at all when i press the pedal. I'm getting fluid from the bleeder, it's bleeding, but nothing happens.

Is the brake light on constantly? Maybe the little shuttle valve is off center in the distribution block? Or is bouncing around? If it's moved off center, you shouldn't be able to bleed. But you can bleed bit still have no brakes. Did they get run dry and you need to bleed the master?

All rubber is new. They would hold for a bit but as soon as I start the truck pedal instantly goes to floor. Also the shoes aren't moving at all when i press the pedal. I'm getting fluid from the bleeder, it's bleeding, but nothing happens.
just to be clear, you don't even touch the brake pedal after starting ? it just drops to the floor without being touched?

just to be clear, you don't even touch the brake pedal after starting ? it just drops to the floor without being touched?
I tried bleeding them again myself with the bottle method, also had to fix the little part on the backing plate that's rivited that holds a lil spring and the shoes steady. it ripped out of the passenger side.

After that, I now seem to have brakes. Huzzauh!
s-l1600.jpg

I tried bleeding them again myself with the bottle method, also had to fix the little part on the backing plate that's rivited that holds a lil spring and the shoes steady. it ripped out of the passenger side.

After that, I now seem to have brakes. Huzzauh!
View attachment 234456
it's always the little things that make you say "mother f_cker!!"

After all the rolling commentary on the progress I had made in fabricating the rear fender braces, I had really not wanted to bore anyone any more with the ongoing saga. So I am just going to cut to the chase here.

DSCN3987.JPG

These are the actuall original pair of rear braces. The fourth brace, to which I referred before, is the one in the picture that has the bend or deflection present in its shape. Indian puts it there during the manufacturing process to generate clearance for the cable actuated front brakes.

DSCN3989.JPG

And here, shown by way of comparison, is the replacement fourth brace that I managed to fabricate. While it does emulate its bigger brother, it is shorter by several inches; a mere 11-1/8 inches C-C. while the OEM's are somewhere close to 13 inches.

DSCN3990.JPG

And the money shot for this project. This is the milestone that I had been working towards. Although the front end is upside down, you can still clearly see the bend or deflection in the brace in action. I have already test fitted the complete front brake assembly into place and it lands exactly where and as it ought to.

At this point, the next step is to burn the rear fender mounting bracket into position permanently and then reach for the Epoxy primer. As most of us can testify, watching paint dry is about as interesting as watching grass grow, so that exercise will get a pass on the post it hit parade.

It does, however, look like my old reliable floor vise has called it a day. I do have a possible replacement up for consideration as the original is out of stock with no forecast offered as to whether it will ever be available for sale again. The rear jaw advance mechanism was not the culprit; the jaw lock just will not engage. So something has either broken, or worn out, or gone missing. With no parts or assembly schematic to refer to, identifying the problem becomes a problem itself.

Nick

Reactions: Ugly1

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor