What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Inspection and emissions test prices are set by the shop doing them, but they usually run around $80 to get them both. More if you are in a higher weight class. The stickers are $6 each if memory serves right, and the state does set that price. None of this includes your annual registration which I think was $90 for a year for my F150 which is weight class 2. A car would be marginally less. Plates are something like $35.

It's all a giant scam, but in PA inspection is required everywhere, emissions is only required in certain counties based on population. If you drove under 5k miles in the last year and you've owned the car for over a year, you are emissions exempt. Diesels don't require emissions tests. Classic plated cars are emissions exempt but still require inspection. Antique plated cars are exempt from emissions and inspections. There are all kinds of rules and stipulations that go with those plates and I have no idea if/how they are actually enforced.

If you have a 1996 and newer car, you get the OBD2 emissions check, if you have a 1995 and older, you are subject to the tailpipe sniff test, and a lot of stations don't even have the equipment to do that test anymore. I keep my truck under 5,000 miles a year so I haven't run into the issue, but I don't know what I'd have to do if I needed the tailpipe test.

You can also get an emissions waiver after failing the test, spending X amount of money to try to fix the problem and then failing again, but only certain stations are authorized to issue waivers.

Believe me, I've tried to exploit every possible loophole I could find.

So in summary... super simple, right? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Inspection and emissions test prices are set by the shop doing them, but they usually run around $80 to get them both. More if you are in a higher weight class. The stickers are $6 each if memory serves right, and the state does set that price. None of this includes your annual registration which I think was $90 for a year for my F150 which is weight class 2. A car would be marginally less. Plates are something like $35.

It's all a giant scam, but in PA inspection is required everywhere, emissions is only required in certain counties based on population. If you drove under 5k miles in the last year and you've owned the car for over a year, you are emissions exempt. Diesels don't require emissions tests. Classic plated cars are emissions exempt but still require inspection. Antique plated cars are exempt from emissions and inspections. There are all kinds of rules and stipulations that go with those plates and I have no idea if/how they are actually enforced.

If you have a 1996 and newer car, you get the OBD2 emissions check, if you have a 1995 and older, you are subject to the tailpipe sniff test, and a lot of stations don't even have the equipment to do that test anymore. I keep my truck under 5,000 miles a year so I haven't run into the issue, but I don't know what I'd have to do if I needed the tailpipe test.

You can also get an emissions waiver after failing the test, spending X amount of money to try to fix the problem and then failing again, but only certain stations are authorized to issue waivers.

Believe me, I've tried to exploit every possible loophole I could find.

So in summary... super simple, right? :ROFLMAO:
Here's a loop hole to not get an emissions test, move across the line to Butler Co.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Here's a loop hole to not get an emissions test, move across the line to Butler Co.

I've contemplated that one but with the way they are building it up, I don't know that it'll be that way for long. In Cranberry they've developed every last square inch of the place. I would bet Zelienople and Evan's City are next.

There was a bill introduced last year that was going to eliminate emissions inspections for vehicles newer than 8 years, and make the emissions tests due every two years instead of annual. I think it was also going to remove Westmoreland from the counties requiring emissions tests. It'll probably wind up in limbo somewhere until it dies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I've had 2 leaking wheels on the Rainer all winter, I just fill them up once a week.

Was 45 today so I took the wheels off that leaked expecting to find a cracked rim since I had to replace one 40k ago.

Turns out neither were cracked they are just leaking between the bead on the inside and outside. Any suggestions on easy fix for that besides paying $20 a tire for a shop to dismount, clean and remount? 2 really need it but the 3rd does too if I'm going to do 2. Tires have like 15k on them and just started leaking late this fall once the salt started going down.

In other news I booger welded the drivers rear upper control arm last fall since it was broke, it was 30 out and I only had 120v in the garage at the time and didn't have a setup to take it off the road and order parts. I intend to change both uppers this spring once I have the wagon out of storage and since I had the passenger rear wheel off to check for leaks I thought I'd see if this arm was shot.

Good news the arm looks way better than the drivers side, bad news is the frame mount is toast. The outside of the bracket is rotten like the drivers side but the frame side in this one is almost missing. You can see the captive nut sitting in the frame with nothing around it.

Gmt360's don't rust like gmt800's but they aren't invincible.

I'm split on if I should plate the rust when I do the control arms this summer or if I just let the arms bust off and harvest the aluminum 5.3 that's in it for a future project.

Knowing me I'll probably just bandsaw some 3/16" plate and fix it this spring and keep driving it. Everything that is as good as a Rainier with less rust is 10 grand at least and to find anything that is an advancement is 15-20k in either a 14+ Yukon/Sierra or a 14+ grand Cherokee.

Buddy of mine bought an 11 avalanche 5.3 from a dealer 2 weeks ago and 6 days after he brought it home it blew a headgasket and hydrolocked. Dealer said it was too expensive to fix and would exchange it for something of equal value on the lot. All they had was 4.7 dodge stuff and 5.4 Ford stuff, both entire garbage. Pretty sure the person that traded that avalanche in blew a head gasket and put in some fix in a can and traded it in. Dealer didn't drive it enough to blow it up so my buddy did.

It just enforced why I won't buy something from a dealer, theres a reason these 120-160k mile gm truck and SUV's get traded in. Either they are rusted trash or the owners know something is going out and they want to dump it fast.

The devil you know!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_162912.jpg
    IMG_20200301_162912.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200301_162945.jpg
    IMG_20200301_162945.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I've contemplated that one but with the way they are building it up, I don't know that it'll be that way for long. In Cranberry they've developed every last square inch of the place. I would bet Zelienople and Evan's City are next.

There was a bill introduced last year that was going to eliminate emissions inspections for vehicles newer than 8 years, and make the emissions tests due every two years instead of annual. I think it was also going to remove Westmoreland from the counties requiring emissions tests. It'll probably wind up in limbo somewhere until it dies.
As of Jan 1 this year, no more emissions in Washington state. Used to be every two years. No vehicle inspections, except when licensing an out of state vehicle.

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Yeah its $120 mandated rate for commercial vehicle inspection here. I need it 100% for CVOR and it was up as up March 1st ( my fault for leaving it late )

I always factor in a $50 oil change and whatever BS thing they tend to find ( wiper blades last year ). Dunno why he hooped me over the barrel this year. Its been 20 thousand kms since he checked it last time and he kinda "" overlooked "" a couple things last year. Guess he's saving for his grandaughters education as we have already put both his boys thru school with what we have paid over the years..... ROFL ouch, it hurts by wallet ...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
As of Jan 1 this year, no more emissions in Washington state. Used to be every two years. No vehicle inspections, except when licensing an out of state vehicle.
How are those $30 tabs working out for you?

Nov 4, 2012
Maybe I'll just stop getting my vehicles inspected and claim sovereign citizenship.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor