What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Went to the wrecking yard today to check out an '84 Cutlass for usable parts for the Caballero, but it was pretty well gone through. Instead I found some tail lights for the wife's Taurus that have amber turn lenses.

Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Today was Jeep day. Got the rear hatch popper window working and rewelded the drivers seat on my WJ. Still need to go to a junkyard for parts, but it is getting there. Did manage to take trash to the dump, and happened across this.

IMG_20200308_135759.jpg

Is this that Boomer humor I keep hearing about?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
It's burning season in SW Georgia now so I went over to my sons property and we burned about 3 acres. Had a good burn and wife made an awesome supper. Finishing up a whiskey drink and lights out to start the week.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Went to the wrecking yard again today. Yesterday's trip was to a yard north of home, today was south of home where they had a '79 El Camino. The elky was a real beater, but I was able to get both of the front parking lamps, and someone had pulled the intake manifold, leaving the distributor lying in the engine bay, so I brought that home as well. After determining that there was nothing left to gain from the elky, I browsed around the yard for more parts for my wife's Taurus.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Cheated and used the Get Go car wash be ready to drive the bish around on Sunday. Last time I was there it was Touch Free, pulled up after paying for it at the pump and nope def got the swirl from it.
Snapchat-450930651.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
On Saturday I was driving the Cub Cadet from the garage to the shed and I'm fairly certain it blew a head gasket during that trip. It was running fine until I heard a quiet "tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-POP" and felt slightly down on power. After I could hear the compression escaping from the one side, sort of a "tsk-tsk-tsk" noise. I stopped and opened the hood, pulled the oil cap and it nearly shot off out of my hand. Enough for me to diagnose it as a head gasket.

It's a pretty common failure with the Kohler Commands, so I ordered two kits with the new updated style reinforced head gaskets. I got a notification that they shipped today so it'll probably be a job for this weekend. It's not a difficult job except that the engine has to come out to remove the blower housing. Just time consuming.

20200305_161028.jpg

• Sad

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Had a radio job today- put a system in a Jeep 4dr for a coworker's kid. He bought it for his 21st birthday. Alpine has this kit all pre-engineered for 2007-18 (maybe present) Wranglers. It was super cool. Comes with a molded box for a 10" sub under the passenger seat, 2 sets of components with adapter plates for the tweeters, 2 amps on a bracket (4x50 & 1x120?), and all factory plugs including a t-harness for the factory head unit. It had very detailed instructions that were easy to follow. The best part is that it freaking hammers; color me impressed for $1500. I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking to upgrade their Wrangler on the stealth tip. My only gripe is that the amp plugs are interchangeable, and of course, I got them backwards on the first shot. That and the power wire is about 2' too long.

20200314_133958.jpg
20200314_140203.jpg
20200314_134100.jpg
20200314_144001.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Nov 4, 2012
On Saturday I was driving the Cub Cadet from the garage to the shed and I'm fairly certain it blew a head gasket during that trip. It was running fine until I heard a quiet "tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-POP" and felt slightly down on power. After I could hear the compression escaping from the one side, sort of a "tsk-tsk-tsk" noise. I stopped and opened the hood, pulled the oil cap and it nearly shot off out of my hand. Enough for me to diagnose it as a head gasket.

It's a pretty common failure with the Kohler Commands, so I ordered two kits with the new updated style reinforced head gaskets. I got a notification that they shipped today so it'll probably be a job for this weekend. It's not a difficult job except that the engine has to come out to remove the blower housing. Just time consuming.

View attachment 138806

Gasket kits came yesterday so I was going to work on this today. Opened the kits this morning and the one gasket is slightly bent. It was right on the edge of being too bent and probably could've been used if I had to, but there isnt a rush so I'm not gonna risk it.

Nobody local had one so I called the seller, sent them pictures and they are going to overnight me a new kit. I should have it sometime on Monday.

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I am a bit anal I suppose when it comes to packing my toolbox for a trip to the wrecking yard. I pack everything and I mean EVERYTHING that I may possibly need for whatever I might come across. I am currently taking a short break to get warm in the middle of reorganizing one of my toolboxes to lighten it up, and to make it easier to find the small tools. I am putting all of my 1/4 inch drive, combo wrenches under 1/2 inch, and possibly a few small screwdrivers into an empty plastic 5# deckscrew container. I think that can save me about 3-4 pounds from the first toolbox, and make it a bit easier to close the lid on the second toolbox which contains the screwdrivers, torx, Allen wrenches, pliers, and etc.
My warm up break is over, so I'm going back outside. Chat with you all later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor