What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
That is actually the storage room not the actual shop I work in. No overhead crain or air lines back there. It has been stuck in that corner for three years. I had to move a lot of stuff to get my service truck back there. The main shop is like 100'x 75' I think. Four bays, garage doors at both ends, 30' ceiling, and two 10 ton overhead crains. We work on some pretty big stuff. Mostly I work out of my truck out side!
Looks like the same hook and block as the crane on my service truck. Maintainer body? Made in Iowa!

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Sweet! I had a Town Car for a year or so in high school and it was a tank. My friends all laughed at it because it looked like an old lady's car with it's blue vinyl top and bench seats. I didn't care because it had a V8, RWD and a limited slip and could do better burnouts and donuts than anything they drove :mrgreen:
That's new enough where it could have the "ballistic door shields" in the front doors. We had a Colorado state patrol P71 Crown Vic, they order their cars pretty loaded insofar as they have nice seats, carpet nice radios, and full wheel covers.. The marked units from that era were all silver and they did a pretty nice job pulling the decals. It still had spotlights and I put a Setina push bar back on the front, and ditched the full wheelcovers for the dog dish style. Looked like a nice lean unmarked ar. Taxi companies seem to get 300K plus out of a used Crown Vic, so 122K ought to be just getting broke in.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I loved that cockpit interior that wraps around the driver and the quad cam 4.6 was ahead of it's time. I still don't understand why the Mark VIIIs sell so cheap, they have RWD, most have limited slip, a sick interior, and a fantastic engine. The exterior design is love it or hate it I guess.
I always liked the Mark VIII, my mom had one in pearl white fully loaded power sunroof etc. I thought the LSC version was cool with the rear tail panel lighting.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Looks like the same hook and block as the crane on my service truck. Maintainer body? Made in Iowa!
Yep. Five ton. I bought the skid laoder off a customer for 2000 bucks with a bad engine in it. I paid there bill off to the place I work. I have about 6000 in it now all together. I would show you a picture of my truck, but my gallery on my phone is not working. I am a Heavy Equipment Mechanic also.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I thought an LSC with a stick shift and limited slip rear would be a great hack.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
LSC got 290hp vs 280. Aside from better rear gearing and exhaust there was no difference that I remember.
Mine was fine in the transmission department too. There was an update to fix the accumulator. The Marauder torque converter is an upgrade as well.
I actually really liked the air ride. Mine had a bad controller when I bought it but the system is really pretty simple. I also did the sensor lowering to drop it about 1.5 inches.
The DOHC is a real gem. After I wrecked it I saved the drivetrain and intended to use it in my '35 sedan but sold it before I moved. Can't save 'em all.
IMG_1330.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
IMG_20190117_171621622_HDR.jpg
porch is done.
IMG_20190120_134729940_HDR.jpg
Plastic is down, pressure treated wood is down. Uprights for the pony walls under the floor joists are cut. Can see the joists laid out, ready to be installed. My dad uses a giant 32oz hammer with a really long handle that makes me feel like a little b*tch when I try to use it. I had to resort to two handing it after around ten 2 1/2 inch concrete nails. Pathetic.

Reactions: 4 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I have been thinking about getting one of those for my next beater. Once you guys start driving it, let us know how you like it? I don't know if I could live with out cruise control on my daily? Can that be added to a police car?

I think it would be difficult to add with all the electronics and CPU etc. My old 77 Grand Prix came with an aftermarket unit that worked pretty good. It controlled speed off a magnet attached to the driveshaft. I rarely use CC so I got rid of it.

The Vic I had as a beater 15 years ago was awesome. It was a beast in the snow, pretty darn quick off the line and rough enough that I didn't care if I banged it up. This one is much newer and nicer.

The HVAC system is based on the basic Ford design. No climate control. Fan speed, temp and vent control is about it. But compared to the the system in my wagon, temps are in the single digits today and I would have been comfy just in my underwear given how good this heater blasts. AC works too. But not the time of year to be using it

Rubber floor mat, no carpet, plain seats with no real nice stitching pattern.

Adjustable pedal placement is a neat thing.

It has a Cop Specific torque converter which is smaller than standard Vic's and Grand Marquis which is supposed to contribute to it getting up to speed quicker.

A known problem is the digital odometer display in the analog cluster goes bad. Several places specialize in repairing them on a one to two day turnaround. I watched a YouTube video to DIY and immediately decided against it knowing I'd make matters worse.

I did hammer it one time on the way home. I was cruising at 60 and had an open lane. I stomped it and it shifted from 4th to 2nd the tach shot to 5500 immediately and before I could look at the 140 mph speedo, it was already reading 105.

Today I got it up in the air and the wheels off. P.O. included a set or rear rotors and pads. It needs them. Fronts we're recently replaced. Pulled the cop insert out of the trunk and started remounting the spare and Jack. Then started cutting off the leftover brackets for the front pushbar. They stick out through the bumper and I've almost ripped my shin open on them already.

That's only as far as I got today other than placing a Rock Auto order for hoses and filters and other basic maintenance items.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire scope and a pair of Leupold rings for my Ruger 10/22. Now if it ever breaks 10° I may get out to the range and sight it in.

Reactions: 4 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Too bad there’s not a “What did your non G-Body do to you today” thread. Because my wife’s ‘13 Escape’s transmission just took a $#!+ on us. Only 48k miles, too. I’m not usually one to hop on the haters bandwagon, but believe me, plenty of Ford jokes were made today! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor