oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Looks like you have some seismic activity goin on. Remember to stand in a doorway during such events.
Pretty sure it's water freezing under the slab from a floor drain. Not looking forward to finding out.

Looking into it now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Broke my dang ears trying to squeeze them over my fat melon
20210129_165404.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Frost heave Tomeal ?

Appears to be frost heave. I drilled through the cracks to determine how far my subgrade was. Thankfully the subgrade was within an inch or less than the underside of the slab.

Still don't like it, but don't have to worry about a sinkhole under my garage right now.

Will have to re-visit this issue with warmer weather.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Appears to be frost heave. I drilled through the cracks to determine how far my subgrade was. Thankfully the subgrade was within an inch or less than the underside of the slab.

Still don't like it, but don't have to worry about a sinkhole under my garage right now.

Will have to re-visit this issue with warmer weather.
Whelp, you could look at it as a problem, OR, you could look at it as a head start on excavating a pit for oil changes and the like...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Whelp, you could look at it as a problem, OR, you could look at it as a head start on excavating a pit for oil changes and the like...
The crack runs from the center across the front of the garage. Also have drain lines there too. Pit is not an option.

OR, I could bust the entire floor out and put radiant floor heat in! Maybe epoxy floors? I'd never want to do actual work in there.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ah-yuh, that is definitely an ah sh*t moment. How long/wide is it and does it reach as far as your footers/foundation? Seismic? Living in California? Like the Hare says, "Ehhh, could be", but thinking more along the line of serious frost heave or an absence of rebar and heavy mesh during the pour, or ground shift due to your water table rising or falling or the substrate not getting enough love from a vibrator packer during the forming stage. The cure sucks because you may end up having to cut away the damaged area completely and revisit the subsurface to pack it again, then in with the rebar and mesh to reinforce the incoming batch of concrete.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor