What is the cheapest possible ls swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Why not wait till you have the money available for the swap you want. If you grab a engine that takes all your money and that engine turns out to be junk what do you do then?

I agree. I havent started a build to find myself out of budget and have the car sit forever till I can get back to it. If it runs drive it. You wont break any speed records but you can enjoy the car as is until your ready. You can though grab the motor and take your time gathering parts little by little as the budget allows. it could be easier on the wallet that way as long as you have a place to store everything.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
This should give you a ball park of what the swap could cost:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1103-small-block-or-ls-engine-install/

5.3L SWAP WITH CARB
Used 5.3L engine with front drives and accessories $180
S&P motor mount adapter plates $100
GTO oil pan, pickup, and windage tray $100
TrailBlazer V8 exhaust manifolds $125
Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr cam $400
Comp Cams beehive springs and retainers $315
GM single-plane carb intake $380
Holley 750-cfm vacuum-secondary carb $270
MSD coil pack control box $310
14-inch open-element air cleaner $25
GM 4L80E flexplate, spacer, and bolts $200
TH350 detent cable and bracket $45
Holley “blue” electric fuel pump and regulator kit $132
TOTAL $2,582

5.3L/4L60E SWAP WITH EFI
Used 5.3L engine with front drives and accessories plus 4L60E trans $1820
S&P motor mount adapter plates $100
TrailBlazer V8 exhaust manifolds $125
Comp Cams XFI cam $400
Comp Cams beehive springs and retainers $315
Used ECU $100
Reflash ECU $300
Used drive-by-wire pedal and solenoid $150
Used MAF meter and air cleaner $100
30 lb/hr fuel injectors (set of 8) $250
4L60E early Nova trans crossmember $175
Shorten driveshaft (Wenco) $75
Rock Valley EFI-style stamped-steel fuel tank and electric pump $725
Abbott Cable-X box $325
Miscellaneous wiring and plumbing $300
TOTAL $4,520

^ The OP asked for the cheapest solution, it can be done much cheaper than what you've listed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Why not wait till you have the money available for the swap you want. If you grab a engine that takes all your money and that engine turns out to be junk what do you do then?

You pay an extra $100 for the "2 year warranty" and you bring the junk motor back and swap it for another one you find in the lot.

People actually do this in Dallas. I've seen it. I didn't believe it, but I saw it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You pay an extra $100 for the "2 year warranty" and you bring the junk motor back and swap it for another one you find in the lot.

People actually do this in Dallas. I've seen it. I didn't believe it, but I saw it.

I wouldn't think they'd be in business for long with that kind of warranty....

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Although we are missing details on your car, transmission, etc....... if I were in your shoes, here is what I would do:

Rework your own harness and get a mail order tune. You should be able to get a conservative tune with VATS removed for under $200.

Get the ebay ls/sbc motor mount adapters for around $30.

For the fuel system, get a GN fuel sender, walbro fuel pump, and pushlock fuel line and fittings. fuel system should be around $300 total.

Elongate the T/C holes on the 5.3/4.8 flexplate and get the $25 ls flexplate spacer/adapter. A th350/th400/200r4 torque converter will bolt up.

Stock f-body ls1 exhaust manifolds will clear the gbody frame. Should be able to find a pair for around $30-40.

The gm muscle car oil pan is the most cost effective pan on the market at around $150.

Of course you will still need misc hoses, wires, fluids, relays....etc. much of it can be sourced at the salvage yard.

The key to keeping it cheap us to get a complete pullout with wiring harness, accesories, maf sensor, all bolts, etc.

Last edited:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I feel for the op being 'stuck' with a 403....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As far as a cheap swap you won't know how cheap or expensive it was until the car is back on the road.

• Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i don't understand? i thought gto oil pans were front sump pans. and our cars need a rear sump pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor