Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Its looking like I'm not the only slot racer here. It really opens up how much we all have in common for our roots in the hobby. Even better to see we are still big kids with our toys (the little & big ones.) The best is we are pass it on to the next group of gear heads (even though some of you guys are the next group.)

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
In 1979 when I was about 4 years old Dad bought a rough 57 Chevy Bellaire, 2-door hardtop. He restored it in about 3 or 4 years. It really gave me the bug. I had hotwheels, model trains, RC cars, go-carts, a mini-bike, you name it. There was a place right next to my intermediate school (grades 6-8) that had two big slot car tracks. I spent a lot of time there from 87-90 when they moved about 10 miles away. Once I got my first truck I lost interest in the toys.

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
WWI was a century ago so not being "that" old still means you could be ancient...:D
I guess I must be well preserved then....kinda like Count Dracula who doesn't show his true age. :p

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In 1979 when I was about 4 years old Dad bought a rough 57 Chevy Bellaire, 2-door hardtop. He restored it in about 3 or 4 years. It really gave me the bug. I had hotwheels, model trains, RC cars, go-carts, a mini-bike, you name it. There was a place right next to my intermediate school (grades 6-8) that had two big slot car tracks. I spent a lot of time there from 87-90 when they moved about 10 miles away. Once I got my first truck I lost interest in the toys.
Jared,
It's funny how most of us have had the same things in common growing up.
Slot cars were cool and they drew a big following. I recall seeing people of all age groups racing. Those things were fast, too. My brother was more of a slot car fanatic than I was.
I do still collect Hot Wheels and various diecast cars and trucks. Certain things become ingrained in us.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Pagrunt, you have done it now, maybe the most interesting thread in recent times? Grand Pa Van, his son Uncle Bob & Uncle John all mechanical guys. I just grew up in the automobile environment. The 1950's & 60's nearly everyone wanted the next new model year as the manufactures retooled sheet medal nearly every year. Now days many people including me sometimes can't even identify the year & make of said auto?? First ride over 100 MPH, 1958, my other Uncle Don driving an Edsel. Would of that been the first FE engine maybe a 352?? Then 1960 (I'm 14 now) my cousin Chuck from Kansas pulls into the drive way with a 56 Ford Ex cop car, two door, hole in the roof, 312, 3 on the tree. Takes me for a ride spins right rear tire & gets scratch on 1-2 shift, Wow! A year later his dad Uncle Paul & Brother Jr. pull into Grand Ma's drive way with new 61 & 62 Vette's. I'm not 15 &1/2 yet so no temp permit. But Uncle Paul tosses me the keys to his new 61 283", 4 speed & says take it for a ride. I don't think that happens any more?? My dad says "he doesn't have a license!", Uncle Paul says " so what, let the kid have some fun". And Pa says "well if I go with him". The first car I ever drove! So now ya all know what happened to my brain. Soon after I started working on my first engine, a 283 punched out .125" to a 301. And the rest of the story is over on my Bronze Brick thread, get some caffeine. I'll post more to it this winter. Then I went and used that damn swear word, take care Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• 1955 Chev_301 engine.jpeg
    1955 Chev_301 engine.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: 2 users

82_wagon

Apprentice
Mar 9, 2017
My uncle's car did it for me, I was around 9 years old when he got it. My dad and I went with my uncle to pick it up, it was a 1973 Camaro with a BBC it was yellow with black stripes. I remember on the way home it kept overheating so they took the hood off and hauled it in the back of my dad's truck. That was the night of my first burnout and I was hooked.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor