what made YOU love long roofs?? let us know. post pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I'll bet you (or your dad) wish you had that '57 150 2-dr wagon today. I believe that was called a Handyman wagon..and yes, the 150 models had the simple side trim, or spear like a '55 Chevy. The 210 model had the (wishbone) trim similar to the Belair without the corrugated inserts between the trim.

Oh, I found one of those 3rd brake lights we were talking about. This one was on top of an Astro van. I opened it up and pulled the circuit board out...and I think I fried it when I tried putting voltage to it. It burned part of the printed circuit and the one resistor by itself.
Well, I guess I'll try finding another one. :?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, those 3rd lights often need a "logic circuit" to work on our cars. That is because our cars used a combination brake/directional light while more recent cars had a separate wire for each. My 3rd light I got from JC Whitney and it had the "logic box" included. I notice that the el-cheapo I bought is no longer offered, and the cheap ones now don't include it. I guess our cars are really getting old, eh?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I was trained early...my folks had a 56 Chevy wagon when I was about 1 or 2, followed up by a '61 F85 wagon that we kept until I was about 14....something about a bad crank and couldn't find one anywhere. Pretty sure by that time it had a case of terminal rust anyway.

My buddy has a 57 2 door 210 wagon in his shop for the last 10 years...guy that owns it won't sell, but won't do anything with it, either. His dad bought it new, so I guess it'll rot forever. They did put a disc brake conversion on it about a year and a half ago...for a car with no floors, broken side glass, and no engine or trans :wtf:

I would LOVE to have a 56 chev or 55/56 Ford wagon...funny how all those cars nobody wanted 20 years ago are so freakin' expensive now. :cry:

Have to admit though, when the old girl below is all cleaned up, she looks pretty good, and I really do prefer driving G bodies to late model stuff. Guess I'm just hopeless.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Jack, those 3rd lights often need a "logic circuit" to work on our cars. That is because our cars used a combination brake/directional light while more recent cars had a separate wire for each. My 3rd light I got from JC Whitney and it had the "logic box" included. I notice that the el-cheapo I bought is no longer offered, and the cheap ones now don't include it. I guess our cars are really getting old, eh?
=========================================================================================================
Mark,
Thank you for informing me about a "logic circuit". I could have kept finding these lights, trying them and pulling my hair out because none of them work. :oops:
As the old adage goes," you learn something new everyday".
So it looks like I'll have to find something with a logic circuit built in, or have box included....gotcha!
Yeah, I guess our cars are getting old...much like ourselves..*groan*

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Look at this, they are cheap enough. http://www.jcwhitney.com/logic-circuit/p2003583.jcwx?filterid=c3037u0j1 Call up the instructions PDF and you will see why it's needed. And also the 3rd light page. http://www.jcwhitney.com/third-brake-light/c3037j1s17.jcwx Too bad they discontinued the one I have. It came with a neat bracket to mount it anywhere. I hung it from the trim molding at the rear of the headliner, right in front of the glass. Crappy pic, but I think it's made by WOLO so it may be available somewhere else.
P1080312.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thanks Mark and Jack for bringing it up, this makes it easy for me. My 3rd brake light wiring is bad somewhere along the line and I was not looking forward to removing the harness to find the problem. I never heard of the logic circuit but it looks like I'll be using one instead of my other option

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks again Mark!
You're always right there with pertinent information. You da' man. :D Thanks for the links to JC Whitney.
I guess your wagon doesn't have the deflector? According to where you have your 3rd brake light mounted.

My thought was to cut a slot in the air deflector and flush mount the LED strip in it. I might or might not go back to using the wing.

Ya gotta love the little snippets of information you glean on the forum.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Jack, here's a "NO" vote for the wing

If you do use it, i recall working on some smaller SUV that had a wing with a slot in it and a CHMSL that was mounted behind it on the gate. I want to say it was a Toyota, but could have been any japanese make, been a couple years.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Brian,
Thanks for your input. I currently have the "wing" off and regular hinges on. The chrome was bad on them, so I painted them a satin- black. They don't look too bad. I was actually thinking of blacking out all the trim, besides re-doing the window frames and pillars.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
I've never really owned one but what got me into them/wanting one is my dads 1992 light blue buick roadmaster with dark blue leather interior. I think hes owned it since 2008 and thats when I started loving the wagons. Have some 80's s10 dark blue leather buckets and a dark blue gp console I'm wating to drop in will upload pictures if wanted when the process gets going :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor