What makes an LS better than a small block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
What makes an LS better than a small block?

Or rather, is an LS better than a small block?

I was talking to my buddy who is a senior at my university, and I was telling him about how I wanted to get a cheap, regular, iron crate 350 and drop it in my car after graduation. He said to hell with that, and that an LS is 100% the way to go, no questions asked. He got a 5.3 (with everything included) from a Blazer or something with 160,000 miles for $600, put it in his 69 Firebird, and says its a champ compared to the boat anchor that he had in it before (a 400 or something). Better power and gas mileage. For comparison, a basic 350 crate from summit with most of the essential parts included is close to $1,600, though a cheaper one can be found used, obviously.

If you were to compare an iron block LS with an iron block small block (or an all aluminum LS vs an all aluminum small block) that have very close bore and stroke dimensions, what makes an LS "better"? Assuming both engines run and have equal amounts of money put into performance modifications. Do both engines have potential to make identical HP/TQ and gas mileage?

Perhaps someone who has run both in real life would know best? All answers welcome! Thanks!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd hardly call a poncho 400 a boat anchor. One of the best, if not the best, V8 pontiac ever made. LSs can be had for so cheap (compared to ford and dodge engines of today), they're ALREADY fuel injected, distributorless, and most of them either have aluminum heads, or blocks or both from the factory. They're litterally plug and play. Your buddy got a hell of a deal for that LS. Normally a running LS3 plus the wiring harness and ecm is over 2,000, but it's a complete drop in.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Blue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Some will know more than me, but LS engines besides being 50 year newer technology have better heads out of the box as they start at 15* all the way down to 12* (ls7) valve angle as opposed to an sbc's 23* heads. Closer to zero the better the cfm all else equal. So thats a major difference along with cathedral ports (some retain rectangular). All in all just a better designed engine along with all the benefits of factory fuel injection.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
An old Chevy small block, like a Gen I. Thought that was obvious

an LS truck engine isn't the same as the performance LS1, LS2. LS3 etc.....the truck engine are Vortec Gen 3 and 4 but calling them LS is just a selling feature

Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Some will know more than me, but LS engines besides being 50 year newer technology have better heads out of the box as they start at 15* all the way down to 12* (ls7) valve angle as opposed to an sbc's 23* heads. Closer to zero the better the cfm all else equal. So thats a major difference along with cathedral ports (some retain rectangular). All in all just a better designed engine along with all the benefits of factory fuel injection.
Cool, I did not know that lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

that is not the same as the LS truck engine which has vortec heads......and the Gen 1 were used up to 1998

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
an LS truck engine isn't the same as the performance LS1, LS2. LS3 etc.....the truck engine are Vortec Gen 3 and 4 but calling them LS is just a selling feature
Lets define an "LS" as Gen 3 and 4 GM car and truck engines for simplicity haha. Pretty much all V8's 1997ish on up.

Honestly I am not trying to get super technical. Pretty much, what makes new designs better than the old? If it aint broken, don't fix it, ya know? So my question is: whats broken about Gen I Chevy 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor