What should I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
1979Calais said:
I always thought the aluminum heads were better?

For higher compression the aluminum heads are better. The best early LT1 heads were the aluminum Corvette heads. The iron heads were patterned after the Vette heads. The Fbody got the Vette heads after '94 or maybe '95. The Impala SS had them too.

1979Calais said:
Also I only want about 400-450hp because this is going in my SS with T-tops.

Raise the compression and add headers. Boom!!! 400 hp no other changes. Aluminum heads are worth even more hp for their cooling aspect. Port match the aluminum heads and you'll be knocking on the door of 500 hp.

jetsetw31 said:
1979Calais said:

Raise the compression and add headers. Boom!!! 400 hp no other changes. Aluminum heads are worth even more hp for their cooling aspect. Port match the aluminum heads and you'll be knocking on the door of 500 hp.
Id like to see some dyno results to back this. I have a hard time believing an LT1 will get anywhere close to 500hp with just higher compression and port work alone.

I think I saw a posting in the For Sale section...member in Delaware has a 3.73 7.5 for sale for $265. One-legger. You could go with a Powertrax for $450 - no need to reset the ring and pinion gears. Lockers will make you go sideways in the snow. Not sure if you're at the other end of MD, though...

ssn696 said:
Take a look in your Summit catalog. They sell an 0.30 block already modded for 383. If you are building from scratch, start with a balanced rotating assembly, preferably forged stuff. Consider a 1-pc block: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1 ... /overview/ This one is 4-bolt main, and has the setup for OEM roller lifters, but it does not have the fuel pump pad drilled. You can use hydraulic lifters at first, if you like. Talk to a machine shop that has experience with 383s...decide which is the better way to go, mod yours, or buy from Summit. Put your short block together with a 2-pc timing cover. You can upgrade heads and cam later.

A machine shop should be able to drill out the fuel pump push rod hole. Alot of times the hole is already part way drilled by the factory.

-83MONTESS- said:
jetsetw31 said:
1979Calais said:

Id like to see some dyno results to back this. I have a hard time believing an LT1 will get anywhere close to 500hp with just higher compression and port work alone.

Thats easy. Go to Fbody forums. Ask anyone running 12:1 and better compression what hp are they running at the wheels. The reason they do it without cams changes is that those cams are more expensive than a normal sbc hyd roller. So those guys run factory cams and the LT4 cams. The ones with dollars to throw at it are using aftermarket cams and running in the low 10s and high 9s at the track and you know that's way more than 500 hp. Those guys are running insane compression. I saw a high dollar Firebird running 14:1 AND SPAYING NOS!!! And complaining that he wasn't fast enough!!? I thought they were crazy til I built the one in my friends car a year ago. He had 3 grand to throw at the motor. So I ported the factory heads, put in 12:1 Arias pistons, put in a LT4 hot cam, beefed up the valve train using Trickflow push rods(got a deal on them), Comp Cam Pro Magnum steel rockers, and Hooker super comp headers. just under 580 hp @ 6800 rpm. The Intake is holding the the car back. We are looking for a LT4 intake to see what it will gain or something better. Here's some pics of it when i pulled it apart last month looking for a bad lifter.

Attachments

• DSC01208.JPG
    DSC01208.JPG
    942.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC01211.JPG
    DSC01211.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 94 LT1 engine bay.jpg
    94 LT1 engine bay.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 226
-83MONTESS- said:
jetsetw31 said:
1979Calais said:

I'd be interested in seeing that too. Claiming 200-225hp increase with headers and a compression bump is a pretty bold statement. I'm not sure I follow the logic that raising compression (new pistons) is cheaper and easier than a cam swap. Especially since LT1 cams weren't very aggressive to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I like LT1s so I'm not knocking them. I'm just having a hard time swallowing the HP claims being thrown around.

ssn696 said:
I think I saw a posting in the For Sale section...member in Delaware has a 3.73 7.5 for sale for $265. One-legger. You could go with a Powertrax for $450 - no need to reset the ring and pinion gears. Lockers will make you go sideways in the snow. Not sure if you're at the other end of MD, though...

I am close to the DC area and the car will never be driven in the snow. I plan to get a 3.73 posi later down the road once I finish my Cutlass, but right now I am working on the engine for the SS now.

jetsetw31 said:
1979Calais said:
I always thought the aluminum heads were better?

For higher compression the aluminum heads are better. The best early LT1 heads were the aluminum Corvette heads. The iron heads were patterned after the Vette heads. The Fbody got the Vette heads after '94 or maybe '95. The Impala SS had them too.

Thanks, did not know that.

jetsetw31 said:
1979Calais said:

Porting will take almost half my budget up here, so that is out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor