What should I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
pontiacgp said:
seems like you only read a few words of my post....
I read it all but I haven't really noticed China parts getting any better, just more of it on our shelves.

pontiacgp said:
1979Calais said:
I will be buying from Summit, so you all can email each other about China made Sh--!

I don't get your point, Summit is just a reseller of parts

:lol: Yup, plenty of China and Taiwan at Summit. Trans-Dapt and MR Gasket are horrible offenders when it comes to that.
I just get all like :wtf: :blam: when I see someone bragging about their China made parts.

I'm done

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
thepcsurgeon said:
1979Calais said:
thepcsurgeon said:
Go fast now, look pretty later. Get that driveline in good shape to handle the new HP. IMO, the 3.73 gear ratio coupled with the 2004r transmission is a great combo. Just need to beef it up and get a Posi in the rear end.

I need to see if I got a 7.5 or 8.5, but I do want 3.73 gears and I may get the 2004r rebuild if its not too much.

If it's still stock, it's a 7.5, 26 spline axle. If you plan on a lot of track time, you will need new axles.

I will not be hitting the track at all. Also does all 383 run on 91?

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
1979Calais said:
Question, are the LT1 in a 96 Caprice a good engine to rebuild?

Yes as long as it is a 350 and not the 4.3. You must check before you buy. The only problem that the LT1 has is that !@#$%^ Opti-spark! The last Opti-spark is the best one(The '97 from the F body). If you EVER rev it past 5500 rpm, Better have another rotor cap handy. Other than that, It's a fantastic motor and in stock form is the closest to the LS's performance. I built one running 12:1 compression, putting out 550 hp at the wheels, and using mostly stock parts in a '96 Camaro and It runs low 11s on 93 pump gas with no issues. Of course it runs much better on race gas.(10.8 sec with drag radials)

IMHO, If you rebuild it, just raise the compression to 11:1 with some good pistons and keep everything else stock. That includes the Cam! You'll have plenty of down low torque to pin you in the seats without being too racey.
T

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Take a look in your Summit catalog. They sell an 0.30 block already modded for 383. If you are building from scratch, start with a balanced rotating assembly, preferably forged stuff. Consider a 1-pc block: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1 ... /overview/ This one is 4-bolt main, and has the setup for OEM roller lifters, but it does not have the fuel pump pad drilled. You can use hydraulic lifters at first, if you like. Talk to a machine shop that has experience with 383s...decide which is the better way to go, mod yours, or buy from Summit. Put your short block together with a 2-pc timing cover. You can upgrade heads and cam later.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
I was always very partial to the '83/'84 Dark Blue Metallic (paint code 27)... that color just makes them stand apart from the rest, Blue on White is my second fav.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
jetsetw31 said:
1979Calais said:
Question, are the LT1 in a 96 Caprice a good engine to rebuild?

Yes as long as it is a 350 and not the 4.3. You must check before you buy. The only problem that the LT1 has is that !@#$%^ Opti-spark! The last Opti-spark is the best one(The '97 from the F body). If you EVER rev it past 5500 rpm, Better have another rotor cap handy. Other than that, It's a fantastic motor and in stock form is the closest to the LS's performance. I built one running 12:1 compression, putting out 550 hp at the wheels, and using mostly stock parts in a '96 Camaro and It runs low 11s on 93 pump gas with no issues. Of course it runs much better on race gas.(10.8 sec with drag radials)

IMHO, If you rebuild it, just raise the compression to 11:1 with some good pistons and keep everything else stock. That includes the Cam! You'll have plenty of down low torque to pin you in the seats without being too racey.
T

If its not the 4.3 then I will buy it, thanks for reminding me about that. Yes I have heard about the opti-spark, but I do think that have a way that I can change that is I am correct. I have no ideal about making my engine have more torque, still trying to learn. Also I only want about 400-450hp because this is going in my SS with T-tops.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
ssn696 said:
Take a look in your Summit catalog. They sell an 0.30 block already modded for 383. If you are building from scratch, start with a balanced rotating assembly, preferably forged stuff. Consider a 1-pc block: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1 ... /overview/ This one is 4-bolt main, and has the setup for OEM roller lifters, but it does not have the fuel pump pad drilled. You can use hydraulic lifters at first, if you like. Talk to a machine shop that has experience with 383s...decide which is the better way to go, mod yours, or buy from Summit. Put your short block together with a 2-pc timing cover. You can upgrade heads and cam later.

Getting the block bored and everything else done to it will be more than the block from summit (Thanks for the link). I am going to talk to the machine shop in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor