what to do about the crosover pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 delta 88

Apprentice
Feb 15, 2015
I have a 1984 delta 88 with a 307 and I want to run a set of duals on it and ive been looking at the factory exhaust and its absolutely ridiculous the crossover pipe is so stupid how was the engineer that came up with that not fired on the spot anyway now that I'm done with my little rant does someone make a block off plate for the whole in the passengers side manifold that the crossover pipe runs to? what do yall do about the crossover pipe when you run duals? any help will be appreciated thanks

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
does someone make a block off plate for the whole in the passengers side manifold that the crossover pipe runs to?

I cannot comprehend what you are trying to say here. Are you looking for a plate to block off the exhaust from the passenger side of the car ? Or just trying to eliminate the crossover ?

Just about any exhaust shop should be able to rig something up. Time to ditch the stock manifolds and get some headers

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a 1984 delta 88 with a 307 and I want to run a set of duals on it and ive been looking at the factory exhaust and its absolutely ridiculous the crossover pipe is so stupid how was the engineer that came up with that not fired on the spot

you car is 32 years old, I think the engineer should be given an award for designing something that has worked for so long

I agree with axisg " Time to ditch the stock manifolds and get some headers"

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If I remember right, the crosover pipe goes from the driver's side manifold to the passenger side manifold, instead of a traditional y-pipe. I think the OP is wondering how to deal with the extra opening in the passenger manifold if he eliminates the crossover pipe. I agree that the solution is a different set of manifolds or headers. To the OP: you will need a 'double hump' crossmember to run duals. Check out G Force.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Can you take a picture of this thing?

$_35.JPG

$_27.JPG

not an olds engine but you get the picture....(pun intended)

_DSC0114-1.jpg

_DSC0111-1.jpg

Last edited:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
This brings back memories. Years ago I drove a Winter beater 1970 Caprice with a 300 HP turbo fire 350 in it. I wanted duals and had the local Muffler Man shop put their cheap system on it. They cut the cross over, pinched it with a vice grip and folded it over a couple times. They may have put some pecker track welds on it too. I beat that car and never had an issue with exhaust leaks. If you are looking for a cheap solution there it is.....o_O

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is a cap that blocks off the manifold, places OPG or Inline Tube carries it. I agree, the factory Olds exhaust system is AWFUL. I am surprised they made any power. I have dual exhaust on my 70S that has that block off plate, works well. The dual exhaust, along with the open top air cleaner I rigged up makes the Olds 260 tolerable, that the previous owner shoved in there.

84 delta 88

Apprentice
Feb 15, 2015
thank you yes I'm looking for a block off plate to cover the extra whole in the passengers side manifold where the crossover pipe connects (is there such a thing?) also is there a passengers side olds exhaust manifold that didn't have the extra whole in it? I would love headers but I'm not sure if cutlass headers would work in a b body

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor