What would cars be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Even when gas was cheap, they did cars for tightwads. 68-69 Novas came with a 4 cylinder engine and a 375 hp 396 in the same model. All 3 started with economy cars in 60. Corvair, Falcon, Valiant then by 62 GM brought out the whole line of Nova,Cutlass,Tempest,and Buick Special. All with 4-8 cylinder engines. They were offering econ omy at the same time they made monster engines. As for cars getting bigger, I don’t believe they would have gotten bigger than the 76 Fleetwood, Lincoln Town Car, or Imperial.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Even when gas was cheap, they did cars for tightwads. 68-69 Novas came with a 4 cylinder engine and a 375 hp 396 in the same model. All 3 started with economy cars in 60. Corvair, Falcon, Valiant then by 62 GM brought out the whole line of Nova,Cutlass,Tempest,and Buick Special. All with 4-8 cylinder engines. They were offering econ omy at the same time they made monster engines. As for cars getting bigger, I don’t believe they would have gotten bigger than the 76 Fleetwood, Lincoln Town Car, or Imperial.
Interesting point on the mid 70s fleetwood, town car, and imperial.

Was it a function of having been in the pipeline before fuel economy/gas crisis was a thought?

OR

Did those cars get as big as they did to be the ultimate statement of opulence - yes, I'm well off enough I can still afford all this?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Because someone will always need to be "that guy".
Powerhouse_Coach_-_luxury_motor_coach_based_on_Volvo_NH12.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I'll take that in a heartbeat!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I read that during the early and mid 80's, many GM engineers throught the 350 didn't have a future due to the ever stricter gas mileage and emission standards. That 5.0 L would be the practical limit under such regulations. Its is why TPI is designed for 305s, anc Ford developed their Mod V8 around 4.6 displacement. This leads me to believe that in a alternate 80's where Biff is rich and powerful, 350s or larger may have been the norm instead of 305s. Computer controls would still likely have come along due to market competition, but more slowly than by government mandate.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As for cars getting bigger, I don’t believe they would have gotten bigger than the 76 Fleetwood, Lincoln Town Car, or Imperial.

forget the big cars, now many have transplanted their butts to full size pickups and full size SUV's.. :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thats a large part of why full size trucks and SUV’s got so popular. People still wanted full size full frame V-8s ,

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And think about this! Right now, the national average price of gas is about $2.069 per gallon. It was $1.12 average in 1985. Considering inflation, it would be like paying 0.86/gallon back in 1985. So gas is actually cheaper right now on the inflation scale than it was 35 years ago. In other words, the $1.12/gallon price in 85 is the same as paying $2.69 per gallon today. We're winning at the gas stations right now. Don't know how long it will last, but take it while it's cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor