What would you choose for performance? (Voting and Questions

Which performance set up should I go with?

• 350/383 with turbo or blower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Basic 350/383 stroker build

• Big block with turbo or blower

• Basic big block build

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
huh? i wanna say his hp is over over 400 now?

Attachments

• IMG_9482.JPG
    IMG_9482.JPG
    818.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9484.JPG
    IMG_9484.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 136

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well the good thing is that me and my dad do all our paint jobs, welding, engine building, etc. on our own. The only time were not able to do certain things is if it involved pipe bending for exhaust or machine shop work such as milling, boring, or decking blocks and heads. Other than that, the paint job you see on my red malibu was done on the side of the house, with a tarp laid over the dirt, and one of those cheap throw-together car port tents.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
2000.malibu.ls said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:

when i start my car company, your engineering my motors....

You should see the idea I have been playing around with for a East German Sachsenring Trabant P601. Solar/diesel/electric hybrid! Either that or a turbocharged 12 valve Daihatsu 3 cylinder engine with a 5 speed out of a Keijidosha (Kei class car)! Japanese Keijidosha's have so much great technology in wonderfully small packages that I am just itching to apply to a modernized Soviet block subcompact.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I vote 350/355 with blower. That is, unless you're deft in the turbo realm. You already have the heads, just need to buy a forged rotating assy. with H-beams, and keep compression low. Factor in a few other things...no sense in wasting your current block or heads. If you're doing the work yourself It's a lot easier and cheaper to build it with the stock stroke.

You'll have tons of power with a roots type and will be just as fun as any turbo (with a lot less headache).

...What heads are you using? chamber cc's in the head?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I voted 350/383due to the fact it's a daily driver....pump gas friendly,good mpg, and overall reliability... you can always add the turbo or s/c later on... just my $.02 :wink:

it's yours, you know what you'll be happy with, so build it the way you want it! everyone's tastes differ...think on it and do it!

just remember, we'll want burnout pics when it's done!!! :p

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
No turbo Buick option??? Ha ha, well.....

From the options you gave, I vote Big block. There is a sound theory here (and your dad will nod his head when he hears it); "there's no replacement for displacement."

All things being equal (and this is key) the larger displacement always wins. That's why no one builds 305s, they use 350s, if they want to win....

The same goes true for your car. Your car is built to handle ANYTHING, right? Well then, you start with the biggest big block you can get (454 most likely) and build it yourself. Keep the compression to around 9 to 1, Run Aluminum heads and intake to reduce weight similar to sbc levels, and then add a turbo later if you need to.

Just my two cents!!

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
I'd have to say blown small block. (That's what I'm building!) Big block torque, in a dependable small block package with tremendous WOW factor.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I would prefer to keep the motor somewhat simplistic. I'm one of those kids where I want to keep a balance of new and old school. If you've seen the pics of my car you would know what I'm referring to. I don't want to get completely complicated with the electrical and motor. I'm not a big fan of de-stroking a motor either. Kinda live by that saying " No replacement for displacement".

My thinking with my malibu is that the body is so light compared to most other cars that it should be able to handle anything you put into it. With big blocks, you gain massive amounts of torque while the small block is light and is a high whine motor.

Another question i have is if I decided to build a 383 stroker, which connecting rod should I go with, the 5.7 or the 6.0? And why not go with a 400 small block since it's a bigger displacement motor instead of spending that much money on a stroker motor that results in just 383 c.i.d.?

The heads I'm using rod now are 2.02, 1.60 heads (iron or whatever material they're made of) with what I believe are 76cc (Ill have to pop a valve cover and run the #'s but pretty sure). The engine block itself is standard bore 2 bolt main. There was no ridge in the piston chamber so it just needed a hone job. Here's a pic of my current motor.

Picture121.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
pat...that looks nice and clean, where do you have your cold air intake set up at the front?. If you wrapped those headers you'll improve your performance and gas milage...the exhaust cools down and slows up without the wrapping on the header making the engine work harder to keep the exhaust moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor