What would you choose for performance? (Voting and Questions

Which performance set up should I go with?

• 350/383 with turbo or blower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Basic 350/383 stroker build

• Big block with turbo or blower

• Basic big block build

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I brought this up before and should have done a poll on it. I'm planning a future engine build for my 1980 malibu. Right now it has a 350 with 202 heads and some good performance upgrades. The body and suspension has been completely rebuilt and can handle anything I can put into it.

The 350 is a good candidate for a possible stroker motor, blower, or turbos. On the other hand I could go with a big block motor such as a 427 or 454 with a blower or turbo.

So let me know what you think I should do with this future build.

100_2134.jpg

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I'd go with a 383. You get big block torque, with all the benefits of a small block (and it's relatively inexpensive parts wise, other than machine work and crank). Can't go wrong with a small block chevy.

My 383 is ready for a supercharger, I'm going with the Vortech Gen II blow-through supercharger.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
i really think you should consider a late model motor, especially for the look you have and the fact that it is a daily.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I voted for the 383 with turbo under one condition. That it's twin turbos :D

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Supercharged 383. I might be a little biased though.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I voted 350 turbo, but honestly my real choice wasn't there. I would go for a destroker LS1 with an aluminum block and around 300 or less cubic inches. To that, I would add a twin turbo setup, and a custom ECU with multiple maps. I would also use 16 smaller injectors rather than 8 large ones. The 16 injectors allow you to use only 8 of them at low speeds, and smaller injectors are more efficient at flowing small amounts of fuel than large ones would be, thus cutting fuel consumption. This would allow for a best of both worlds engine setup that could run on little or no boost unless it is needed, and give you in effect a variable displacement engine. Then again, I think there is a variable displacement system used on some LS engines (I may be wrong), in which case I would use that too. That way, you would get the highway fuel efficiency of a 150ci 4 cylinder engine at steady state cruise speeds, and you could also opt to run that way in bumper to bumper traffic as well. This would lower the effective minimum amount of fuel needed to keep the engine operating at idle or slightly above. Of course, the beauty of this setup is that it gives up nothing when running on the power map instead of the economy map. You still get the displacement you need, in a light package with the ability to produce prodigious amounts of power.

For a drivetrain, I would use the C6 rear 6 speed transaxle both for weight distribution, and to add the rear independent suspension. This would also permit additional floor space for the front seat as you could then narrow the transmission tunnel to that which is needed only for the diameter of the torque tube. As an additional feature, I would then mount the gas tank under the back seat, if room permits so that the majority of the vehicle's weight is now located between the wheels and thus is not providing a pendulum effect around corners. The mufflers could then be located under the trunk floor instead of under the back seat. The trunk floor could also be redesigned with the spare tire now in a well instead of off to the side, and the floor itself could possibly be lowered to provide more room. This would allow for more even weight distribution and more usable cargo space. Sorry if I got a bit carried away here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor