What you need to 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
(playing devil's advocate here)

Another idea: find a take-out Vortec 350 that is in running condition. For peace of mind, tear it down, dingle ball hone it, and then reassemble it with all new rings/bearings/gaskets. Swap in an upgraded roller cam (though you can reuse the stock roller lifters if they are in good condition and you're on a tight budget). You'll need to install special beehive springs and retainers on the heads to accommodate the increased lift from your new cam, but no actual machine work will be required. Install a carburetor Vortec intake manifold to match, and swap over everything you can from your current engine. You will end up with 300+ crank horsepower, and you ought to be able to pull this off for $1500 or less if you shop carefully.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
(playing devil's advocate here)

Another idea: find a take-out Vortec 350 that is in running condition. For peace of mind, tear it down, dingle ball hone it, and then reassemble it with all new rings/bearings/gaskets. Swap in an upgraded roller cam (though you can reuse the stock roller lifters if they are in good condition and you're on a tight budget). You'll need to install special beehive springs and retainers on the heads to accommodate the increased lift from your new cam, but no actual machine work will be required. Install a carburetor Vortec intake manifold to match, and swap over everything you can from your current engine. You will end up with 300+ crank horsepower, and you ought to be able to pull this off for $1500 or less if you shop carefully.
I could do that but if I'm wanting to do this I don't want to spend a long time looking for a motor, plus my Regal has 22k miles so I want to put a brand new motor in it. The 240 horsepower versiom only costs 1300 shipped so I'm ordering that plus I get myself a nice cam for like 300 and I don't have to put much work into the motor, maybe down the road I'll get into tearing down engines but I thought if I want a fast car quickly I should do this.

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
I could do that but if I'm wanting to do this I don't want to spend a long time looking for a motor, plus my Regal has 22k miles so I want to put a brand new motor in it. The 240 horsepower versiom only costs 1300 shipped so I'm ordering that plus I get myself a nice cam for like 300 and I don't have to put much work into the motor, maybe down the road I'll get into tearing down engines but I thought if I want a fast car quickly I should do this.
Honestly the first time you should take your time if you get in a rush youll miss things or do something wrong when putting it together even if getting a new motor it wont run right with intake leaks or distributor 180 degrees out even turnkey motors sometimes need adjustments when coming out of the crate

• Agree

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Honestly the first time you should take your time if you get in a rush youll miss things or do something wrong when putting it together even if getting a new motor it wont run right with intake leaks or distributor 180 degrees out even turnkey motors sometimes need adjustments when coming out of the crate
Thanks for the info, the main reason im going with a new motor is because i just want one that i know hasnt been thrashed by someone else, that is worth the extra expense for me

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
if i jump on this deal quick (i dont know if they are always this price) i could get a nice 350 with 250 hp and a 2 piece rear main seal, and as long as i have the th350 trans i should be good for a direct swap right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-P...ash=item2a6228f933:g:1sAAAOSwQYZWzw~r&vxp=mtr
Thats the same one on jegs says it has 195 hp there but can go up to 260 hp

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
man this is some BS on ebay they say it makes 249 but like you said if you look up the serial code it makes 195? i messaged them seeing if they can give me the real rating because if its 195 there is literally no reason for me to buy this motor
It also depends on what heads intake carb you put on plus everything else of you want to make as much hp as you can on a budget just buy the block and build what you can afford

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor